How Do I Hook Up Aux Source to GPS Nav (RB1?) Radio? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > General Topic Forums > Mobile Audio & Electronics Talk

Closed Thread

IDSmoker

How Do I Hook Up Aux Source to GPS Nav (RB1?) Radio? - Posted: 09-28-2004, 11:01 AM
City: Boise, ID
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I am planning to buy a Magnum RT in the near future, but I can't decide whether to get the "top of the line" GPS Navigation radio option or the "middle level" CD Changer with Cassette radio option.

The problem is that I want to be able to use my iPod in the car. With the middle option, I can always make do with a cassette adapter (the method I'm using in my current vehicle) until I can replace it with one of Alpine's head units, but I would really prefer to get the Navigation system.

I was originally hopeful, when I heard that the Magnum's Nav radio was made by Alpine, since they have come out with an iPod-specific control module. Unfortunately, that module requires that the head-unit possess one of Alpine's ai-Net ports, and the picture I've seen of the back of the Nav radio doesn't show one.

I would like to use one of the iPod controller solutions like: Denison ice>Link, Pac AUX-Pod, or the Neo Car Audio, but there seems to be an issue with the Magnum (and the 2004 Durango) not being able to use the 'standard' Dodge wiring harnesses... probably because of the new CAN-bus system. This problem shows up when you check the the vehicle compatibility lists for those units.

So.... after that extremely long-winded introduction to my problem, my question is: What is the best way to connect an iPod to the GPS Navigation radio of a 2005 Doge Magnum RT?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dotorg

Posted: 09-28-2004, 04:24 PM
State: OTHER
Post #2

Is the Nav unit in the Magnum the RB1?

I'd be curious as well how these interact with the Sirius tuner...

Has anyone on here installed any sort of aux adapter with the sirius tuner on an RB1?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RTDurango

Posted: 09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
City: Bay Area, Ca.
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

no it is the new 5.7 " screen it supposedly has a port for sat already so you should be able to get an adapter for it . if not right now a wireless fm mod will do the trick til the adapter is available.

IDSmoker

Posted: 09-28-2004, 05:45 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTDurango
no it is the new 5.7 " screen it supposedly has a port for sat already so you should be able to get an adapter for it . if not right now a wireless fm mod will do the trick til the adapter is available.
Unfortunately, I've tried using those FM transmitters before with only limited success. In an urban environment, it can be very difficult finding a consistently open frequency, and when they do work they have really bad sound quality.

Or were you referring to FM modulators? I've heard they work almost as well as a direct connection, but they can be difficult to install, since they wire into the antenna connection. I've considered them, but I would really prefer a solution that allows me to use the radio functions to control the iPod, so that the iPod can be hidden in a glove box or console.

BTW, if the navigation radio isn't the RB1, then what is it called? Thanks!

RTDurango

Posted: 09-28-2004, 06:47 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

fm mod and fm trans are the same thing the direct ones are a little stronger. I would get the nav and deal with the fm mod til an adapter comes out .

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav.htm

The new radio is mp3 capable so maybe you could burn over some cd 's in the meantime.

dotorg

Posted: 09-28-2004, 06:55 PM
State: OTHER
Post #6

RTDurango: I figured the magnum radio was not the RB1. You seem to have some experience with these though... do you know if these sort of aux inputs work correctly with an RB1 that has a Sirius tuner as well?

IDSmoker

Posted: 09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
no it is the new 5.7 " screen it supposedly has a port for sat already so you should be able to get an adapter for it . <snip>
I came across a message somewhere from someone who was having trouble hooking up a 3rd-party Sirius radio to his Magnum's Nav radio. Seemed like the Nav radio used a different type of plug with the Satellite radio you get from Dodge, and this guy couldn't find an adapter. I think he said that one of the pins on the Sat radio port was a CAN-bus connection that caused him some trouble.

[rant]
I just don't understand why anyone would produce a car radio these days that doesn't at least have a standard Aux input on the back. I have seen a $75 Aiwa radio that has an Aux input on the front face, so why can't they provide the same functionality on the Magnum's $1,900 Nav radio!?!?
[/rant]

Sorry, I realize that once the aftermarket manages to hack/decipher the CAN-bus communication protocol, there will be all sorts of easily installed car audio goodness for me to play with... I'm just not sure I'll live that long!

Perhaps I should just resign myself to getting the very lowest level of radio in my Magnum, and having the entire audio sub-system ripped out and replaced. Of course, then I'll miss out on all of the cool integration features... sigh...

RTDurango

Posted: 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

It is the "REC" model. As for the port pins it may have a can bus because the car has the can bus but if the plug fits you should be able to modify the plug.

RTDurango

Posted: 09-30-2004, 08:40 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

REC Nav radio pinouts:

Cavity LOWLINE / MIDLINE I Systems MIDLINE II / HIGHLINE Systems:
1 FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.) FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
2 - - - -
3 - - - -
4 (HANDS FREE) LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT (HANDS FREE) LEFT AUDIO OUTPUT
5 CAN B BUS (+) CAN B BUS (+)
6 CAN B BUS (-) CAN B BUS (-)
7 RIGHT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (+) - -
8 RIGHT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (-) - -
9 LEFT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (-) - -
10 LEFT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (+) - -
11 GROUND GROUND
12 FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.) FUSED B(+) (I.O.D.)
13 - - - -
14 - - - -
15 - - - -
16 (HANDS FREE) RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT (HANDS FREE) RIGHT AUDIO OUTPUT
17 (HANDS FREE) COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT (HANDS FREE) COMMON AUDIO OUTPUT
18 LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+) RADIO LEFT AUDIO (+)
19 LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-) RADIO LEFT AUDIO (-)
20 RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-) RADIO RIGHT AUDIO (-)
21 RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+) RADIO RIGHT AUDIO (+)
22 GROUND GROUND

10-pin satellite radio connector

Cavity LOWLINE / MIDLINE I Systems MIDLINE II / HIGHLINE Systems:
1 AUDIO SIGNAL RIGHT (+) AUDIO SIGNAL RIGHT (+)
2 AUDIO SIGNAL COMMON AUDIO SIGNAL COMMON
3 - - - -
4 - - - -
5 - - - -
6 AUDIO SIGNAL LEFT (+) AUDIO SIGNAL LEFT (+)
7 - - - -
8 - - - -
9 - - - -
10 - - - -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Main menu

RTDurango

Posted: 09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

this is the same radio as in the magnum and 300c

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav.htm

IDSmoker

Posted: 10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
REC Nav radio pinouts:
<snip>
So, is there a seperate connection for the antenna?

The FM Modulator is supposed to splice into the radio's antenna connection. What would be the best way to do this with the Magnum's Navigation radio?
Closed Thread