Whine during acceleration... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango Performance Talk

Closed Thread

Dodge4L1fe

Whine during acceleration... - Posted: 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Bye Bye
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I've noticed a slight whine during acceleration which has seemed to have started within the last few hundred miles... is this normal? My engine has 65K on it
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Beach Assault

Posted: 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
City: Chesapeake Beach MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Could be bearings or tranny or axles...

Are you 'sure' the stereo is off?

You need to pinpoint where the whine is coming from.
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Assault View Post
Could be bearings or tranny or axles...

Are you 'sure' the stereo is off?

You need to pinpoint where the whine is coming from.
Not sure about bearings, tranny, or axles.
Stereo is off.

DaveLeg

Posted: 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
City: Pittsburgh
Post #4

Hmmm You're from PA...Whining during acceleration... Sounds like your driving around with my wife. Just slow down, tell her you were just joking about her mother, and the whine should subside. though it will only be a temporary fix. Good Luck

CopperMtnGuy

Posted: 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Where is the snow?
State: WI
Post #5

He's single though...haha

Does it "grind" when making turns at all?

Could be the early signs of a drive shaft U joint failure...
2005 Durango HEMI 4x2 Limited (Traded)

Sig pic by Dodge4L1fe

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

no grinding when turning

05kota

Posted: 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
City: Sunny Slope, Az.
State: AZ
Post #7

New tires?

gwin99

Posted: 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
RangoFuse
City: Syracuse, NY
Post #8

have you only noticed this whine with the heater fan going and rpms just rev over 2k? i was told this was the compressor on mine (ac is shot)... had this going for two winters now...

EXTERIOR:
Atlantic Blue
No Door Molding
OEM Running Boards
Mopar Hood and Window Air Deflectors
265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Rubber
EBC GreenStuff Pads
EBC 3GD Slotted Rotors
Timken hubs (front)

INTERIOR/ELECTRONICS:
3.4Ghz P4, 3GB RAM CarPC running Centrafuse
- W/ GPS, Audio/Video Playback from 320 GB HD, Hands-free phone and
internet access via BT to phone
M4-ATX Power Supply
AE SoundMax Sound Card
Navibe GM720 USB GPS Puck
BS003 Dongle BlueSoli Bluetooth Dongle
Custom Center Info Console with 8 " TouchScreen
Alpine iDA-X200 Head Unit for audio amplification
Front Pass Side 7" LCD Monitor
Driver/Pass 7" LCD Head Rest Monitors
XR9000 2Way Remote Starter w/Alarm
OEM Dodge Slush Mats

ENGINE:
K&N High-Flow Air Filter

SUSPENSION:
Bilstein Shocks

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwin99 View Post
have you only noticed this whine with the heater fan going and rpms just rev over 2k? i was told this was the compressor on mine (ac is shot)... had this going for two winters now...
No that's not happening here

screwballl

Posted: 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM
2nd04Durango
City: Sandy South
State: FL
Post #10

There are a few possibilities, the ones that come to mind (remember these are just general mentions, each situation may be different):

The A/C clutch on the compressor is slowly going out, this usually has a increasing pitched whine as the RPMs increase starting around 1K RPM.

Transmission needs a drain and refil (but not a flush unless you have done that every 10K miles already). This usually has a kind of vacuum whine sound, starts in a very narrow range, like mine does it from 1600-1900 RPM, but as it gets worse as time goes on where it typically runs from 1500-2500 RPMs.

Fan clutch starting to go, this whine starts low and slowly winds up in pitch until around 2500 RPM then stays constant, even if RPMs go higher.

Mine has had a slight vacuum/turbo type pitch to it since we bought it at 40K miles which I have found is mostly the air intake is not 100% sealed, and then a slightly different whine coming from my transmission that needs a drain and refill.

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
There are a few possibilities, the ones that come to mind (remember these are just general mentions, each situation may be different):

The A/C clutch on the compressor is slowly going out, this usually has a increasing pitched whine as the RPMs increase starting around 1K RPM.

Transmission needs a drain and refil (but not a flush unless you have done that every 10K miles already). This usually has a kind of vacuum whine sound, starts in a very narrow range, like mine does it from 1600-1900 RPM, but as it gets worse as time goes on where it typically runs from 1500-2500 RPMs.

Fan clutch starting to go, this whine starts low and slowly winds up in pitch until around 2500 RPM then stays constant, even if RPMs go higher.

Mine has had a slight vacuum/turbo type pitch to it since we bought it at 40K miles which I have found is mostly the air intake is not 100% sealed, and then a slightly different whine coming from my transmission that needs a drain and refill.
About 24K miles ago, the tranny was professionally flushed and refilled with synthetic. I will double check the air intake, but it doesn't sound like a turbo. It could be the fan clutch, but I don't think it has anything to do with the AC system as this occurs anytime, whether the AC is on or not.

piercejb

Posted: 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
State: NC
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

i think i get the same whining noise going up hills. I feel like it is a transmission noise.
custom running boards
blacked out stock wheels
Yakima Roof Racks and Attachments
MagnaFlow, Resonator removed
Westin brush guard and tail guards
Hella off road lights
Durangos are for Off-Roading!

Stubby Antenna Club Member #5

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

It might be... I'll see if it needs to be serviced when I get my tune up

screwballl

Posted: 11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
2nd04Durango
City: Sandy South
State: FL
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge4L1fe View Post
About 24K miles ago, the tranny was professionally flushed and refilled with synthetic. I will double check the air intake, but it doesn't sound like a turbo. It could be the fan clutch, but I don't think it has anything to do with the AC system as this occurs anytime, whether the AC is on or not.
First, I would be curious about the synthetic... generally that is only recommended in high stress racing or drag transmissions on occasion, not everyday usage. In some cases, using anything outside of the originally recommended fluid can be cause for concern with many of these new vehicles since the late 90s. They are designed with certain specifications and fluids to work properly.

TSB 21-010-06
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type MS9602)

2004 - 2007 (HB) Durango

NOTE: ATF+4 must always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with
ATF+4. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FLUID.

NOTE: ATF+4 is backward compatible with ATF+3 , ATF+2, and ATF+. Additionally,
ATF+4 can be used to top off vehicles that used ATF+3, ATF+2, or ATF+.

Sometimes simply removing the entire air intake hat, checking the seal around the air filter and other seals/connecting hoses can find it.

As for the AC system, it doesn't have to be in use or turned on inside to be affected, the belt is still turning the compressor which means it still monitors and charges the system and would still be affected.

rangoneer

Posted: 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #15

rear differential pinion bearing

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!

Last edited by rangoneer : 12-01-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: specifics

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Well I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but I talked to another member and I found a way to fix it. I think it has to do with the fluids in the transfer case sitting in the cold weather. When I started up the D, I let it warm up a little bit and right before I put it in drive, I let it sit in neutral for a few seconds so the fluids cycle through the transfer case.

rangoneer

Posted: 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Aficionado
Post #17

any update?

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangoneer View Post
any update?
Check the post above yours...

It seems to go away once the vehicle has warmed up to normal running temp

Also, I haven't noticed the "whine" as much lately

rangoneer

Posted: 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Power Aficionado
Post #19

yeah, I read that. Doesn't really seem like a "fix".
Does the transmission engage normally regardless of warm up?

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

yes
Closed Thread