Limp mode & No codes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

worldguy

Limp mode & No codes - Posted: 10-30-2010, 02:27 AM
State: AZ
Post #1

Okay, so I'm still searching. I have a 1996 Dodge Caravan SE, 3.0 V6, 3 speed, with 170,000 miles. My car is stuck in 2nd (limp mode) and I'm not sure what to change out or try next.

There is no no burning smell from the tranny oil, no weird noise. There is a slight rough idle though.

Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks,

worldguy
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

penco8

Posted: 10-30-2010, 06:24 AM
State: TX
Post #2

you don't have limp mode with a 3 speed. however, it is common for the governor to stick causing no down shift. what you can do it manually shift the trans this should allow 1st gear for take off from a dead stop. fixing the governor isn't really for a novice mechanic but it can be done. You'll need some specialty tools and clean work space. The transmission doesn't need to be removed but it will be quire involved for the repair. The down side is there are not many transmission shops willing to just fix what it wrong. they'll all want to rebuild the whole trans at a tune of $1500.

What the governor does is sensing road speed and controlling hydraulic pressure to upshift the trans. the faster you go the more pressure. The kickdown senses how much throttle you are putting to the trans which holds back governor pressure to delay upshift or force downshift. if you come to a stop and the trans is stuck in 2nd gear, that means the governor is leaking or stuck open allowing pressure to shift the trans into 2nd even though you are not moving. manually going to 1st gear will circumvent the governor. also try a WOT (wide open throttle) to see if this will force a first gear start.

there are some tests that can be done none involve a computer or scanner, you'd need a pressure gauge. The 3 speed is fully operated by hydraulics. there is no computer control other than the torque converter lockup.

BTW don't waste your time on dodgeforum. when they banned a good person for trying to save someones life, that shows the board moderators are total idiots
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

worldguy

Thanks, but More Developments - Posted: 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Thank you for your response the other day. I greatly appreciate it. Now, let's revise everything.

Now that I know that my 3.0 V6 (3 speed) does not have a limp mode, and that it actually shifts through all gears (guess I didn't push it enough) ... let me tell you the symptoms:

1) A slight rough idle (Shutter ...?)

2) Doesn't seem to shift at the right times.

3) At times there is a bit a slippage, but not from 1st or 2nd gears, just Drive. This doesn't happen all the time, however.

I have no "check engine light"
I have no noise
I have no burnt oil smell

What do you think?

penco8

Posted: 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Post #4

1. fix this first

2. could be governor or internally just worn out

3. you need to do a proper diagnosis. strongly advise getting a factory service manual and follow diagnosis procedures. also 1 can cause this problem. just fixed 3 vehicles in the last week all thinking the trans was bucking or slipping and all 3 needed plugs/wires.

the apply chart for this trans is:

1st in drive - rear clutch and one way roller clutch
2nd - rear clutch and 2nd gear band
3rd - front and rear clutch
rev - Front clutch and Low/reverse band

if it was to 'slip' in drive, it would slip in reverse too. (common part between them)
if it slipped in all forward gears the the rear clutch would be suspect.

worldguy

Thank you ... and more craziness - Posted: 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Okay guys, thank for your replies, but it gets strange again. I haven't made much progress. But, after driving a bit up and down our street, my wife noticed something on the garage floor - water! So, here's my crazy question.

Could a loss of compression in the engine, due to a blown head gasket (which would point to water on the ground which smells like emissions) affect the hydraulic pressure in my 3 speed transmission?

As I am aware, my tranny does not have shift solenoids but uses hydraulic pressure to shift gears. Or, could the whole deal going on merely be the blown head gasket which is causing the car to not run quite right and the transmission is actually running ok.

Sorry for the absolute chaos, and thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Worldguy

Roadblock

Posted: 11-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Canadian Mopar Man
City: Brantford
State: ON
Post #6

Water is a natural by product of combustion. Your exhaust pipe should drip a bit of water already. This is normal and not indicative of a bad head gasket. Now if the water was up under the engine and not at the rear of the vehicle you may have an exhaust leak, which can cause a rough idle. I would hope that you aren't using pure water in your cooling system.

Have you actually tried to pull codes or have you relied on the CEL to go off? I have a 2001 and my CEL is either burnt out or previous owner bypassed it. You may have codes but your CEL may not be working.

RB
- 4.7L

2001 Grand Caravan Sport
- 3.3 L

penco8

Posted: 11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Post #7

Okay guys, thank for your replies, but it gets strange again. I haven't made much progress. But, after driving a bit up and down our street, my wife noticed something on the garage floor - water! So, here's my crazy question. what guys? I was the only person to reply prior to this post????

Could a loss of compression in the engine, due to a blown head gasket (which would point to water on the ground which smells like emissions) affect the hydraulic pressure in my 3 speed transmission? Where is this water on the floor? under engine, under muffler, at tail pipe? if just water thats normal if antifreeze that's a problem

As I am aware, my tranny does not have shift solenoids but uses hydraulic pressure to shift gears. Or, could the whole deal going on merely be the blown head gasket which is causing the car to not run quite right and the transmission is actually running ok. Don't assume it's a headgasket until you do some better diagnosis!!!! you have a misfire you need to solve first before you attack the transmission issues, a bad head gasket can cause a misfire but no water will come out of the engine, coolant will BIG difference between water and coolant. determine what you have first !!! (water or antifreeze????)

Sorry for the absolute chaos, and thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Worldguy[/quote]

donald7150

Posted: 11-06-2010, 06:32 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #8

My '99 will drip a decent amount of water on the ground if I have had the A/C running
Closed Thread