6 Disc CD Changer Issues - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Interior/Exterior

View Poll Results: Have you had issues with your 6 CD Changer?
Yes, CD player no longer functions correctly 26 39.39%
Yes, Other features no longer work correctly 5 7.58%
No, I'm lucky, mine works great 35 53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

DblD

6 Disc CD Changer Issues - Posted: 10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
City: The Home of Nascar
State: NC
Post #1

Mine's crapped out on me. I like the setup though so I plan to repalce it with the same unit. Who else has had problems with theirs? Let us know what model radio and year vehicle you have too (i.e. RAQ, 2006).

Last edited by DblD : 10-22-2010 at 07:55 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

-=Rowdy=-

Posted: 10-22-2010, 07:54 PM
State: OK
Post #2

2005 Hemi Limited-Works great-however it has had the occasional hunt for the first track in the next CD.

hoon

Posted: 10-23-2010, 12:06 AM
State: NY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

6-disc changer broke on me also.
replaced it with an REF if i remember correctly... whichever has the aux input in front, so now it works with my ipod and i'm happier than I ever was with a 6-disc changer.
20" Chrome '08 Ram Rims
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

CAP LOCK KID

Posted: 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM
City: S. Ontario
State: ON
Post #4

My Factory 6 disc unit crapped out last year.
Replaced it with a REC Nav unit

2013 RAM 1500 QC SPORT 4x4 - Mineral Grey Metallic - HEMI®
w/ BT Catch Can, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Mopar Hard Cover, Line-X'd Bed, 30% Tint & 15% SS, AVS Vent Visors, Weather-tech's

2010 RAM 1500 QC SPORT 4x4 - Mineral Grey Metallic (SOLD @73,780km)
2004 DURANGO SLT - Flame Red 4.7L V8 Magnum (SOLD @210,800km)

DblD

Posted: 10-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Do either of you guys that replaced with different radios have the rear entertainment system? If so, did the radios you switched to work with the system?

MJB8

dead battery - Posted: 10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
State: RI
Post #6

Last summer mine just froze in the middle of a cd. Then it sounded like it was shuffleing the cd's a few wouldnt come out. Next moring dead battery. I hear now the dead battery is a common side effect of a bad 6 CD. the next day it worked ok for a while then quit. I replaced the battery as it was 5 years old.

I bought a used one from a 2006.

I then took apart the old one to get the cds out. The cd player didnt want to give them up but bigger tools prevailed and I got them back.

2008 SRT Prototype Under Construction
Dodgetalk.com 287 Enthusiast Member # 289
K&N CAI, ,Summer Polished OEM SRT 22" Wheels , Yokahama 305/40/22 Parada Spec X, Winter Durango 20" 265/50/20 Yokahama Parada Spec X VVME HID's 5000k Heads & Fogs, Mobile 1... Bilsteins, 15% Tint. FlowMaster Cat Back, American Thunder Exhaust.
Dropped a bit, more to come.

"Take a Kid Fishing"

Last edited by MJB8 : 10-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.

abcone

Posted: 10-23-2010, 04:14 PM
State: NH
Post #7

REF does not support the rear entertainment system. REC(navigation) RBQ(6CD) & RBK(6CD with cassette) support the rear entertainment system.

DblD

Posted: 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Post #8

That is good to know. Glad I have some options. Thanks for the info.

abcone

Posted: 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM
State: NH
Post #9

Correction just noticed that I mis typed . It is RAQ, RAK and REC that work with the VES. The previously mentioned RBQ (6CD) and RBK(single CD) are for the first gen durango (2001-2003)and were manufactured by mirshubishi electronics and not Alpine like the 2nd gen radios They will fit in the 2nd gen D.

CAP LOCK KID

Posted: 10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB8 View Post
last summer mine jsut froze in the middle of a cd. Then it sounded liekit was shuffleing the cd's a few wouldnt come out. Next moring dead battery. ........... I then took apart the old one to get the cds out. The cd player didnt want to give them up but bigger tools prevailed and I got them back.
X2. Same thing happened to mine.

w/ BT Catch Can, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Mopar Hard Cover, Line-X'd Bed, 30% Tint & 15% SS, AVS Vent Visors, Weather-tech's

Beach Assault

Posted: 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
City: Chesapeake Beach MD
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoon View Post
6-disc changer broke on me also.
replaced it with an REF if i remember correctly... whichever has the aux input in front, so now it works with my ipod and i'm happier than I ever was with a 6-disc changer.
^This will be my solution 'when' mine does fail...
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41

BRUTUS 5.7

Posted: 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM
State: MA
Post #12

That's interesting... just about half of you have had problems with the CD Changer. I still haven't tested mine. I really hate not having the iPod hook up anymore.

Andy

DblD

Posted: 10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Post #13

After the cd player breaks, it's like having a really big AM/FM stereo - with no iPod hook up!

matted2thefloor

Posted: 10-26-2010, 07:58 PM
City: SC
State: SC
Post #14

Our single disc took a crap a few weeks after we got the car (bought it used from Carmax in 07). I took that junk out and installed the 6 disc along with the VES and Mom and Daughter are super happy!!!

04 D 5.7 SLT AWD (hers)(gone 3/12)
99 Cobra (mine) SOLD
00 Toyota Camry
06 Toyota Avalon Limited (hers)

rangoneer

Posted: 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #15

my 6 disc changer crapped out a couple years ago...it literally ate the internals for slot 5 and ejected them....

So now, I have to avoid slot 5 or it will hang up for minutes. But all the other slots work fine. So what is it you guys are saying is the best replacement for CD function and AUX/iPod function?

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!

HemiHoney

Posted: 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
City: Long Beach
State: OR
Post #16

My 6-disc just broke last week, and I've been digging around the internet trying to find some solutions- because I'm actively trying to sell my truck. I don't want to sell it with a broken cd player. My battery died last week (I didn't have the glove compartment closed all the way and the light ran the battery down.) Since then the CD player isn't an option, when you hit the mode button it only allows you to choose between DVD and SAT. Also I hear that shuffling sound every time I get in the truck. What is going on? Can someone enlighten me please? Does the whole unit have to be replaced or what? Please give me some constructive advice! Thanks in advance.

CAP LOCK KID

Posted: 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Post #17

Have a look thru this thread....

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...768&highlight=

MJB8

Posted: 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiHoney View Post
My 6-disc just broke last week, and I've been digging around the internet trying to find some solutions- because I'm actively trying to sell my truck. I don't want to sell it with a broken cd player. My battery died last week (I didn't have the glove compartment closed all the way and the light ran the battery down.) Since then the CD player isn't an option, when you hit the mode button it only allows you to choose between DVD and SAT. Also I hear that shuffling sound every time I get in the truck. What is going on? Can someone enlighten me please? Does the whole unit have to be replaced or what? Please give me some constructive advice! Thanks in advance.

Join the club my 04 did the same thing. I have heard that many people notice a dead battery when the 6 cd craps out. I need a jump the next morning battery was dead.

K&N CAI, ,Summer Polished OEM SRT 22" Wheels , Yokahama 305/40/22 Parada Spec X, Winter Durango 20" 265/50/20 Yokahama Parada Spec X VVME HID's 5000k Heads & Fogs, Mobile 1... Bilsteins, 15% Tint. FlowMaster Cat Back, American Thunder Exhaust.

"Take a Kid Fishing"

HemiHoney

Posted: 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
City: Long Beach
State: OR
Post #19

@CAPLOCKKID

Thanks, just read it. I guess it just comes down to me needing to search for a compatible cd player to install. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through that cause I have no idea how to begin that process. I will unfortunately have to shell out the money to some place to install it for me.

MJB8

Posted: 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Post #20

they run $50-65 for a single cd and $125-150 for the 6 cd . They are interchangable but you should look for the same year as their is a low speed bus and a high speed bus. (how everything talks to the computer )

Changing it is very easy. 2 small screws down under the benzel and it pops right off . Then a few screws hold the radio in it slides out remove the antenna and couple plugs in harness install in reverse. You may need to unplug some wires that plug into the benzel but its pretty easy and each plug is unique.

total time 20 minutes car shop price 25- 50 tops

"Take a Kid Fishing"