start up high idle? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

diamondave5

start up high idle? - Posted: 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM
State: AZ
Post #1

i just got an 08 1500 with the hemi a couple weeks ago, whats with the high idle on start up? cold start it goes up to 1500rpms, fan is on making all kinda noise, it will slowly drop down eventually to 6-700 or so, i would think thats not good for a cold engine going that high immediatley, and more suprising even on a hot start, i can drive all day in the heat, stop for a few minutes, re-start and it goes up to 1200 or so, slowly comes down, im already droping it in gear by then though, practically chearping the tires, in my stone driveway anyway, haha, anyway this just seems totally uneccessary and kind of rediculous, is there anyway to adjust that to either eliminate it or just have it go to 8-900 or something when cold? 1500 is crazy imo
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

techman1a5

Posted: 10-10-2010, 08:17 PM
State: SC
Post #2

mine does the same, I have stock program and superchips. maybe someone else may chime in,but I think that it is normal.

98 merc v8 daily driver 233k miles, 28mpg's
Techman1a5, SCPO, USN, Retired @20yrs,10 days

Gone, but not forgotten: 2007 1500 Ram 4x4 Thunderroad, 2011 1500 Ram 4x4 quad cab, bighorn.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

crasher76

Posted: 10-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Im wired!!!
City: K-TOWN
State: WI
Post #3

mine hits 900 rpm for like 5 sec then will hover around 750 for a bit, then goes down to 640rpm normal idle. I love hearing it start up and idling sounds fkn badass, i woudnt want it any otherway.
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

crasher76

Posted: 10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Im wired!!!
City: K-TOWN
State: WI
Post #4

Man, if your sitting there idling at 1500 rpms, must go through some gas? Maybe one of your load sensors is f***** up, alt, air, power steering, etc.
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #5

You might try the 'hard dump' reset of the computer; take you time and do it right.
==================================================

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming.
=============================================

The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

gagesram

Mine has done it since new.. - Posted: 10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
City: FARGO
State: ND
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

I actually asked the service advisor two weeks ago when I had mine in having it checked out for some funny shifts. He said its perfectly normal, mine does it whether its -20 or 85 above, but only after its been sitting for more than about 4 hours. Mine sits about 1400 for 2-3 minutes and then it finally drops back down. I have been afraid I was going to take out the u-joints, but they keep telling me everything is fine.

2014 CC 6' 4" Box,Blue Streak, Big Horn Package
Hemi, 8spd, 3.21's. Protection Group, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Bucket seats with console, Parkview F/R with camera, 32 gallon tank, Remote CD with Alpine stereo. Raptor series W2W 5" stainless nerf bars.
Ordered custom seat covers for the front today, have to order new floor mats.

Totaled on 11/27/13
Blue Truck Club Member #192
Hella's (KC's) Behind the Grille Member #60
2008 Quad Cab 1500 4x4 Electric Blue Big Horn Edition
4.7 with 310 HP, 5 speed auto, 3.92 with LSD. 275/55/20 Cooper Zeon's. Magnaflow 12289 3" in 3" out with factory tailpipe and Magnaflow SS tip. K&N drop in filter. Airram Jet stream scoop. Factory tow hooks. PlasmaGlow led tailgate strip, Ventvisors, 40% tint, Raptor SS nerf bars, Raptor SS box rails, Mopar front and rear seat covers, Husky Liners front and rear, bed mat, Access Cover, PlasmaGlow LED bed lights in box. Silverstars in headlights. 3000K HID's in fogs. KC 6x9 long range 100 watt driving lights behind the grill. Factory cupholder light, factory hood lamp and harness, glove box light. 55W back up lights on the receiver hitch. Tinted LED taillights.

1971 Chevelle SS clone, 350 ci, QJet 4 barrel, Edelbrock Performer, headers, HEI, shift-kit, SS hood, wheels, and badges. Was Caymen green with black SS stripes and custom grey interior with buckets. Now its faded, clear-coat is cooked, it was in my parents garage in '97 when the garage and top floor of the house burned. I've owned it since my sophomore year in high school in '89, so its pretty much my first car. Will be painted electric blue to match the Ram with white SS stripes in the next year or two.

RubberFrog

Posted: 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
Post #7

It's an 06+ thing.
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

diamondave5

Posted: 10-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Post #8

normal or not i dont like it, 1500 is rediculous i think, 900 id live with, be kinda cool then, maybe i will try the reset thing, im planing to do a mbrp exhaust kit possibly end of this week, should i wait till aftet that? arent you supposed to reset the computer anyway after doing sh&t like that? ie. exhaust or high flow aircleaner....

diamondave5

Posted: 10-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagesram View Post
I actually asked the service advisor two weeks ago when I had mine in having it checked out for some funny shifts. He said its perfectly normal, mine does it whether its -20 or 85 above, but only after its been sitting for more than about 4 hours. Mine sits about 1400 for 2-3 minutes and then it finally drops back down. I have been afraid I was going to take out the u-joints, but they keep telling me everything is fine.
mine will go up to 1200 or so even just sitting for a minute or two after warmed up, goes to the 1500 after a while of sitting like you say, i love the truck but i hate this aspect of it, i see no reason what so ever

mikereidjr

Posted: 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Technology Handyman
City: Hampshire
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

My 07 does it, I don't remember my 04 doing it, but I always thought, it is what it is.

RubberFrog

Posted: 10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
Post #11

Yep. It is what it is. A 1500 idle isn't harmful. Annoying, but not harmful.
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Frog is right; it's not going to hurt a thing. I didn't think to ask last night; when was the last time the TB was pulled and cleaned? I still believe a good cleaning and reset would help.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

diamondave5

Posted: 10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Post #13

TB? throttle body? forgive my ignorance, i didnt think it has a throttle body, its fuel injected right? i just got the thing a couple weeks ago, has 23k on it, was a one owner truck is all i know, the dealer serviced it and certified it, so basically i guess they changed oil and called it good, so i dont know about maintanance....it is annoying more than anything harmful, once my exhaust is done its going to be louder, which will be great, except at 4 in the moring when i leave for work, my wife and the few houses next to us wont like it, will be kind of embarrising, they will thing im revving it up on purpose or somthing, this morning as a test i just dropped it in gear right away and used the parking brake to hold it, it went down to 900 or so, left it there for half minute or so then when back to neutral, it stayed at 900, didnt go back up, so thats an option i guess, not the best for any of the parts involved i guess....im curious if the supertuner guys can add a feature to adjust that somehow, i want to get one eventually but if i could do something with this idle crap id get one tomorrow, i think the fan coming on during a cold start makes no sense either, but if the idle wasnt as high that wouldnt be as bad

weedahoe

Posted: 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #14

Mine does it on my 04 with Diablo so i would also say it is normal. However, I do agree it is annoying and the next tune I get written i will have mine lowered.
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

diamondave5

Posted: 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Mine does it on my 04 with Diablo so i would also say it is normal. However, I do agree it is annoying and the next tune I get written i will have mine lowered.
so what do i have to do, you get a custom tune somewhere?

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondave5 View Post
TB? throttle body? forgive my ignorance, i didnt think it has a throttle body, its fuel injected right? …..
Sorry about that … Sometimes I use abbreviations in the threads and I need to be a little more mindful with the newer members. Yes; TB is short for Throttle Body. The Dodge engine has port injections; the injector is located just above the intake valve. There’s a ‘how to’ on the TB cleaning and it’s an easy project for anyone. Use brake cleaner, like it says in the thread, and you’ll be surprised just would easy the job is. If you don’t want to do the ‘hard dump’ type reset, I would at least disconnect the negative cable while you clean the TB. That’s an easier way to reset the computer, a good safety measure while you work, and you need the reset after you clean the TB any way. As for a good tuner, the Superchips Programmer is great for stock trucks.

I'll see if I can find the 'how to' thread ...

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

OK; where's the 'how to' thread ...

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166641

The TB shown in the thread is for a late model Hemi but there is not much difference in-between to the two aside from the electrical control solenoid on the side of the body.

weedahoe

Posted: 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondave5 View Post
so what do i have to do, you get a custom tune somewhere?
There are several tuners (persons) you can use. You will also need a tuner (like diablo) to program the truck.
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

diamondave5

Posted: 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Post #19

well i tried the hard reset, not sure if i had it grounded, thought i did, the radio clock was messed up but presets still stayed in memory, anyway still went to high idle 1400, i tried my trick though and droped it in gear and held with brake for a few seconds, goes down to 900 or so, then went back to neutral and stayed at 900, went to park and stayed there, so i think thats a way to get it down some, kinda half assed, but in the morning if i want to let it warm up for a minute or so id rather do that and have it at 900.....

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

You're down to the TB being dirty or maybe the inlet idle solenoid. I would hope this isn’t something that normal for this model year. If it is the ‘norm’, I believe I’d being on the computer sending someone like Hemifever (Sean) a PM. Maybe he could set you up with a programmer that has custom tune that with help with your idle.

Closed Thread