Engine is missing - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

jamieperry86

Engine is missing - Posted: 09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
State: OTHER
Post #1

I have a 2002 Dodge ram 4.7 ltr. The problem is when the engine cools down and I start the engine, it misses until the engine warms up to normal driving temps. After the truck reaches the normal driving temp, it runs fine. I have all vaccum lines replaced, new spark plugs, coils and wires, and a new battery. Any ideas what is making it miss when it first starts and the engine has cooled down?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RubberFrog

Posted: 09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Have you looked downstairs?
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Posted: 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator
City: Florissant
State: MO
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post

Welcome to DT jamieperry86 - as you can see, the joking and razzing starts early around here!

Good luck in getting your Ram fixed!

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, Tail light tinting / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

jamieperry86

Posted: 09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Post #4

yea that was no help at all...

angusdevil

Posted: 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
They call me Radio
City: Tempe
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

When you find your motor, maybe you'll find your sense of humor too! :P

All jokes aside, when was the last time you reset your computer?

1973 RCLB Stroker SB
REBUILD BLOG - radio1973dodge.blogspot.com
- Longtravel suspension still being built, Grabber 35" MT's, Method Wheels, 4.10's.
- Custom dash/gauge cluster, Corbeau seats, dual electric fans, most of the wiring replaced, 7" HID's, lots of other flashy and bright lights
- Fuel cell, aluminum rad, rear tranny cooler, front and rear tube bumpers, cut rear rockers and cage work ready to get started on.

jamieperry86

Posted: 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Post #6

I just got the truck from my father-in-law. we hooked it up to the computer and it didn't show any codes. How do you go about resetting the computer? not very familiar with that. could it possibly be the throttle body is messing up?

MikeHTally

Posted: 09-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberFrog View Post
I was gonna suggest under the hood, but who'd put one there?

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

MikeHTally

Posted: 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Got 2 Hemis
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Could be the TB. How many miles? Computer reset is usually pull the "PCM" fuse, get in the truck, close the door and turn the key to run and let all the chiming and dinging to stop. Put the fuse back in and start 'er up. It won't necessarily be an instant fix, but you may notice some improvement.

I'd also suggest a dose of Sea Foam. Since you've pretty much covered the "spark" part, fuel and air are next.

ladale

Posted: 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
City: hattiesburg, ms
State: MS
Post #9

i had that problem too, but mine is a 5.9, anyway

2002 RAM 1500 4.7L 4x1 quad cab ST
Prev. 2004.5 RAM 2500 325/600 5.9L
Prev. 2003 ram 1500 quad cab 1x4 slt 5.9l 360
BEWARE I POST FOR THE F@^& OF IT!
if ur not cum'in ur try'in too hard
100,000K+ club member #21
Quad Cab Club #666
Don't TOUCH my truck Club!!!! Member #36
DT MIssissippi Chapter Member # 1
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...=1#post3173359

jamieperry86

Posted: 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Post #10

it has 173k on it so I am going to try that and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!

MikeHTally

Posted: 09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Got 2 Hemis
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieperry86 View Post
it has 173k on it so I am going to try that and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!
Yeow! That's a heap o' miles. Enjoy the smoke show, and I'll bet it'll help a bunch. You might want to put some Sea Foam in the tank two times in addition to the rest of the treatment. It's almost a given you have some restricted injectors.

crasher76

Posted: 10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Im wired!!!
City: K-TOWN
State: WI
Post #12

just wondering if you found it, or if the local fuzz is involved yet?
Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Welcome to DT!

The 4.7L is a real good engine if you take care it. There are DT members on here that have more than 200K and still going strong. Two of the most common engine problems are dirty Throttle Bodies and the engine getting too hot. The Dodge trucks are bad about getting an oily tar looking crap on the back of the throttle blade. There’s a ‘How To’ that shows you step by step instructions for cleaning the TB so there no need to cover it here. As for the over heating, you can do a simple test that will answer the big question; is there crack in the engine? The test is the NAPA Cylinder Head and Block Test. You take some of the antifreeze and place it in the test fluid. If the fluid turns blue, you’re not pregnant but there is a problem where exhaust gasses are entering the cooling system. If the truck passes the NAPA test, I’d do a compression and leak down test. This will tell you how tight the engine is throughout.

And here’s the different ways to reset the computer …
=============================================

The first way:
1) Disconnect the Negative battery cable for two or three minutes then reconnect.
2) Start truck and let idle till it reaches operating temperature.
3) Turn truck off for 5-10 seconds.
4) Fire her up and drive her the way you want.

The second way:
1) With the key out of the ignition
2) Disconnect the Negative battery Cable.
3) Put the key in the ignition and turn it as if you where trying to the START it.
4) Release the key and leave it in the “ON” position and let it sit for 10- 15 min
5) Remove key from the ignition.
6) Re-attach the negative battery cable.
7) DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE when starting the truck for the first TWO times!!!
8) Start truck and let idle till it reaches operating temperature.
9) Turn truck off for 5-10 seconds.
10) RE-START the truck but DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!
11) Let the truck return to normal idle (500-600 RPM’s)
12) Turn truck off, and then start her up and take her for a LIGHT test drive… NO WOT testing yet.
13) After driving around the block letting your computer LEARN the new air flow turn her off one last time…
14) Fire her up and drive her the way you want.

The third way:
1) Pull fuse #19 or #23 or #31 (vehicle year dependent)
2) Close door and buckle seatbelt (technically you don't have to buckle the seatbelt, but it helps to stop all unnecessary chimes)
3) Put key in ignition and turn to "on" and wait until all chimes stop (on...not start!)
4) Turn key to start and hold until you hear 2 chimes (I think it was about 15 seconds or so)
5) Turn key off
6) Re-install fuse
7) You're good to go

... and last. This is from a past DT thread:

You can do what is often called a "hard dump".

We (techs) often do this when we need to totally reset the ECU and either don't have the proper tool close by (too lazy to walk to toolbox and get it) or just are "in a hurry".

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming.
----------------------------------------------------------
The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects.
=============================================

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

sdram03

Posted: 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
City: Box Elder, SD
State: SD
Post #14

makes me wonder if there is a gasket in the intake system, that is leaking when it's cold and then seals up as it runs. i've seen that happen (not on my vehicles) and it is pretty neat to watch. we just use Carb cleaner, spray it around the intake anywhere there is a gasket (like at the TB to intake seal - but NOT down the actual TB throat), and see what happens. if engine speed/sound changes, then ya found the leak. replace gasket and see how she does.

just $.02. could be totally off the mark, but figured i can't hurt.....
2012 Kawasaki ZX 14R
2008 Chrysler T&C Inferno Red

previous vehicles...
2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 2002 Honda VFR Interceptor, 1992 Honda Nighthawk
1970 charger, 1969 Roadrunner, 1969 Dart Swinger, 1968 Charger R/T, 1969 Charger, 1974 Dart, 1973 Duster 340, 1969 Sport Satellite, 1976 1/2ton PW, 1979 LRET, 1976 1/2ton LWB QC D100, 1985 Nissan Maxima, 1989 Acclaim, 1991 Acclaim LX, 2000 Concorde, 2003 Dodge Ram QC "Lone Star Ed, 2006 Chrysler Pacifica, 1993 Honda Accord, 2003 RAM 1500 RC SB 2wd SLT 5.9
Closed Thread