Wheels lock up after a few feet in reverse? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM
shockwave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wheels lock up after a few feet in reverse?

This has happened twice in the last month. The first time i thought I hit something along with the second time. The rear wheels lock up( i think just one of them does actually) and i come to a stop. I put it back into drive or park and then back into reverse and all is well.

Any ideas what may be happening back there?
thanks

2006 Durango SLT 5.7L
K&N Air Filter
Westin Oval Stainless Bars
Pioneer X930BT

Soon...
Xenon HID Headlamps/fogs
LED Tail Lights

WANTED: Driver side seat trim plate that seat belt comes up through, the one that always break! Khaki color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Beach Assault

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Parking brake adjuster issue? Remove the rear disks and inspect the parking brakes.

Big Black Limited w/Hemi and 20" Chrome Ram Wheels
MOPAR CAT Back exhaust
Rancho RSX Series Shocks
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41
#3 Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Sir_Eagle
Hemi User

Yep, I'd look at the parking brakes. They are just like little drum brakes with adjusters and springs, both of which can break and make that kind of thing happen.

'06 Durango SLT 4x4 / 5.7L Hemi / Tow Package
Drop in K&N Filter / Airaid Intake Tube / Breather Hose Filter / Rubber Flap Removed / Power Wire
OEM Running Boards / Bug Deflector / Side Window Air Deflectors / Molded Splash Guards
Ram Head Hitch Cover / 12" Black Stubbie Antenna / 20% Tinted Fronts
Resonator removed / Magnaflow 22" (12578)
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 / Monroe Reflex Shocks / TB Lift(6 turns) / Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors / Ceramic Pads

Eagle's Nest Photography & kmartin.smugmug.com
Stubby Antenna Club Member #1 / Hemi Owners Club Member #8 / Ohio Truck Club Member #9 / Mineral Grey Truck Club Member #60 / DT Durango Club Member #102
#4 Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
shockwave

(Thread Starter)
Yep, you were both right, on the drivers side back wheel one of the pads rotted off. There was a pin that fell out and was tumbling in there, once inwhile it would get lodged in between the brake pad and rotor and lock the wheel up. Other times it would sit there partially lodged and make the light squealing sound i have been hearing for the last month.

I had to bring it in today and was guessing you guys were right. I was leaving my parking spot from work and it started sqealing like crazy so i came to a stop. Engaged the e brake and then released it, the squeal went away. Got about half way to the shop and it came back but not as bad. $200 later with all new pads, kits and labor its done

Amazed how they would just rot out like that, i mean it was in like 5 pieces when he showed me.

2006 Durango SLT 5.7L
K&N Air Filter
Westin Oval Stainless Bars
Pioneer X930BT

Soon...
Xenon HID Headlamps/fogs
LED Tail Lights

WANTED: Driver side seat trim plate that seat belt comes up through, the one that always break! Khaki color
#5 Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
matted2thefloor

The materials they use these days are NOWHERE near what they used back in the day. I see you live in snow country, those type things are very prone to happen on todays vehicles much more rapidly than you'd expect. Thats why it is so important to wash all that winter road salt off your vehicle EVERY chance you get.

My dad used to roll his cars through the local car wash and get the "undercarriage special" to get all that crap off...amazingly I had to put a clutch in one of his vehicles after living many years in Northern New Jersey and I had NO trouble getting any bolts/nuts freed...because he religiously had the undercarriage cleaned...FWIW.

04 D 5.7 SLT AWD (hers)(gone 3/12)
99 Cobra (mine) SOLD
00 Toyota Camry
06 Toyota Avalon Limited (hers)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.