crankcase vent - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
bigdogg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
crankcase vent

i never noticed this till today but is it normal to be getting exhaust?/ smoke out of the crankcase tube

12 ram 1500 laramie- stock
09 ram 1500 sport- Traded
03 dodge ram 4x4 1500 Reg/Sb with hemi- Traded
97 dodge ram 2500 4x4 ext cab/long box with 12v Cummins- 5" stacks
Banks quick turbo(37psi), banks twin ram intake, Brute force HD CAI, pyro and boost gauge, pulled fuel plate out and turned starwheel
"living the black gold rush"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Clunk

Looks pretty nasty doesn't it? It smells even worse.
You ever see those Super Stock tractor pullers pulling? You see their blow-by coming out the bottom of the engine? Ours isn't that bad.

'01.5 2500 4x4 Red QC Sport HO SWB, 6spd.,cowl hood, 4" ex., Edge Drag Comp, Banks boost & pyro pillar mount, single Holley style lift pump...13psi WOT, US Gage & 4 grease gun lines for fuel pressure monitor, Power Service in the tank, Amsoil in the trans and Valvoline in the pan. Vulcan Big Line kit, Napa #2790 BHAF, cheapo fuel cooler, IP 200's, Cat C300 turbo 3.55 gears jes' like Ram3500Dually sez..., ARP studs, 507.9hp, 1050 torq.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
#3 Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
bigdogg

(Thread Starter)
ya looks a little strange, like i said i never noticed till today. i need to add oil tomorrow maybe that well stop it

12 ram 1500 laramie- stock
09 ram 1500 sport- Traded
03 dodge ram 4x4 1500 Reg/Sb with hemi- Traded
97 dodge ram 2500 4x4 ext cab/long box with 12v Cummins- 5" stacks
Banks quick turbo(37psi), banks twin ram intake, Brute force HD CAI, pyro and boost gauge, pulled fuel plate out and turned starwheel
"living the black gold rush"
#4 Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Clunk

All internal combustion engines produce a certain amount of combustion gas leakage past the piston rings...even "gapless$$$" rings leak a little.
The PCV valves on gassers re-introduce those gasses to the intake manifold. Our diesels can't take the chance of those gasses possibly condensing back to oil then accidently getting a slug of that oil to make uncontrolled power/runaway since getting off the throttle won't stop the slug because there's no throttle butterfly like a gasser.

'01.5 2500 4x4 Red QC Sport HO SWB, 6spd.,cowl hood, 4" ex., Edge Drag Comp, Banks boost & pyro pillar mount, single Holley style lift pump...13psi WOT, US Gage & 4 grease gun lines for fuel pressure monitor, Power Service in the tank, Amsoil in the trans and Valvoline in the pan. Vulcan Big Line kit, Napa #2790 BHAF, cheapo fuel cooler, IP 200's, Cat C300 turbo 3.55 gears jes' like Ram3500Dually sez..., ARP studs, 507.9hp, 1050 torq.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
#5 Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Bluedually4x4

Its part of owning a diesel. The higher compression ratio also contributes to it as well.

1998 1 ton dually 4x4. 12valve Cummins 5 speed manual. TST # 10 fuel plate DPI 75 hp injectors ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold BHAF intake 5" Turbo back exhaust dual 5" stacks South Bend 13.5 clutch 2001 flip out towing mirrors 16 degrees of timing and 3000GS BD Super B turbo
Dynoed at 452 horse power
And over 900 foot pounds
#6 Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 AM
speedy81304

also some of that vapor or smoke you see. is oil vapors as oil gets hot is burns off vapor, kinda like water just before it boils. you will see steam. you can do like i did and extend the crank case breather tube. to help keep some of the oil mist from getting all over my engine bay. I ran the tube down and infront of the engine crossmember.
my 05 doesnt do it as much as the 01 does. but yes its wierd when you come to a stop at the end of an off ramp. and you see some smoke in front of your truck and it smells like burning oil. first time when i got the truck i thought O crap i got a bad oil seal leaking. and opened the hood to find no oil leaks. but some vapor coming out the breather tube. as stated the higher compression ratio, and the amount of heat with in the cylinders as oil hits the bottom of the hot pistons gasses build up.
just be glad. your not driving an old 2stroke diesel like an old 8-71 screamer. they smoke and burn off oil like oil is free.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.