2 wheel ABS or All wheel? How can I tell? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
IQRaceworks
First time Dodge Owner!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2 wheel ABS or All wheel? How can I tell?

I'm in the process of replacing a front driver side wheel bearing assembly in my 2004 Ram 1500 4x4. I called up the auto store and they had 2 different types of bearings assembly's available....one for a trucks with only rear wheel ABS...and one for all wheel ABS with the sensor in it. Well, since my truck will easily lock the front tires on in the rain or snow, and I never get any of that ABS feedback through the front wheels, I assumed that I didn't have front ABS...hell, I was surprised to find out that there was ABS on the rear wheels.

Well...fast forward a few hours, the truck is up in the jack stands, and I'm down to the wheels bearing assembly. Low and behold, there is a wire coming out of the wheels bearing assembly going up to the engine compartment.

Why do I have a sensor on the front wheel bearing when I don't have ABS on the front of the truck? So now I have to put it all back together, and go get the other wheel bearing assembly with the sensor in it.

Can someone explain why I don't have front ABS on my truck, but I have a sensor going to the front wheel bearings??

Any info would help me out!

Thanks

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab 4x4, 5.7 HEMI, Factory 20" Dodge Wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/R20's

Mods:
SuperChips, Bilsteins on all 4 corners, CAI, Dumped Flowmaster 40-series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
BigRedMegaRam

I can't help with the whys but I do know when we ordered our 04 there was no option on two or 4 wheel ABS. They came with 4 wheel ABS std. Of course living in Canada our trucks always seem to be a bit different option wise. As to why yours is working like it is, maybe a trip to the stealership is in order.

2008 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 Hemi.
Carli Bilstein 7100 Low Mount Stablizer, DSS and Redhead steering gear.
Hankook Dynapro LT285/70 17 LRE RF10's
John
#3 Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM
bigmac18

You may have to get under there and check to see if you have a sensor or not. I have the 2 wheel ABS and my front driver side hub has a sensor, but the front passenger side does not have a sensor.

2006 1500 Hemi Sport 2/4 drop on 22's
Come get you some of this!
Train Horn Club Member #16 - Hemi Sport Edition Club Member #2 - Black Truck Club Member #64

#4 Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
compressor man

My 04 was from Canada, it was a high line SLT with leather, it was 2 wheel abs. I think the 4 wheel abs will have a small gear like wheel around the hub to sence rotation and lock up.

FRI'D 2007 Bright Silver QC 4X4 HEMI SLT SPORT. In the 13's
#5 Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM
IQRaceworks
First time Dodge Owner!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac18 View Post
You may have to get under there and check to see if you have a sensor or not. I have the 2 wheel ABS and my front driver side hub has a sensor, but the front passenger side does not have a sensor.
Yep..that's it. The drivers side hub has a speedo sensor in it.....the same sensor that is used on the front ABS trucks.

So even though I only have rear ABS (why did Dodge even do that??), I have to get the 4 wheel ABS bearing for the drivers side.

Hopefully I got the right one this time.....and I hope it's not too hard to change. Some people have said it's easy, some say a real pain. I've changed them on an AWD Explorer before..so I'm sure it's pretty much the same thing.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab 4x4, 5.7 HEMI, Factory 20" Dodge Wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/R20's

Mods:
SuperChips, Bilsteins on all 4 corners, CAI, Dumped Flowmaster 40-series.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.