Reverse lights not turning on? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

maclss

Reverse lights not turning on? - Posted: 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
City: San Antonio, Texas
State: TX
View This User's Garage
Post #1

tried the "search" but no dice for my topic...

i bought and replaced bulbs thinking they were bad, no luck...

checked fuse under hood, it wasn't broken...

i have a manual transmission, reverse lights won't come on when i shift into reverse...

for a 04 Ram, is there a "switch" somewhere i should be looking to replace?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

DeMoN-HeMi

Posted: 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
NEVER DOUBT THE DEMON
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

i think there is a switch, VooDoo is having the same trouble, maybe he will come in here and let us know

2003 1500 HEMI QC -Slammed and Sprayed,
2014 Ram 1500 Black on Black Edition HEMI! - The hauler
2013 Charger - The Toy
1995 Camaro - The Project

"Dont Spread my Wealth, Spread my Work Ethic!"

"Debt is normal, be WEIRD" - Dave Ramsey

~> HOW TO - TINTING TAILS <~

~>IMPORTANT LED Replacement Bulb Info For 02-06 rams<~

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

weedahoe

Posted: 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #3

I would think the switch would have to be either in the shifter or the transmission
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

MeenGreen5.2

Posted: 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
i'm blue :D
City: North Las vegas, NV
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

"neutral safety switch" that was the problem on my 2nd gen....
24"verde rims
stock

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164

maclss

Posted: 09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #5

thanks fellas....it was driving me kind of nuts!

now, i'm assuming that "neutral safety switch" is located somewhere on the tranny, is it something that is fixed on the outside (please say yes)

i do remember a while back before i noticed my reverse lights were out that when shifting into reverse, it was kind of tough, almost like it was getting caught....i had to try and shift in 2 or 3 times before it would shift into gear and almost made some sort of popping noise when doing so like something was loose or came loose...

i can shift gears with ease, i'm hoping it's not the clutch either...

wagntwister

Posted: 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
State: NJ
Post #6

No neutral safety switch on the man. trans. The reverse light switch should be on top or the side of the trans.

maclss

Posted: 01-26-2011, 08:43 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #7

ok fellas...it's driving me CRAZY!!!

i got the part from Autozone, went home, took old switch out, tried to install the new part, the piece with the threads that go into the tranny a bit were too narrow....took part back, Autozone tells me there is one other part, but it is dealer only...

went to dealer, gave my VIN, ordered the part...thought it looked good, got home after picking it up, uninstalled old switch, new switch again was too narrow...

i'm at a loss here fellas...unless i'm pulling out the wrong switch, i don't know what's up as Dodge only shows 1 switch to order!

the switch i unistalled from my truck was located on the top of the transmission, is there another on the side maybe?

maclss

Posted: 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #8

dumb question, but would a transfer case switch control reverse lights by chance?
Closed Thread