Thermostat housing bolts. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
comingapart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thermostat housing bolts.

'87 D150 w/318.

Some how I've lost the bolts for the thermostat housing and none of my "magic bucket" bolts seem to fit.

Does anybody know the size of these bolts so I could grab some from the hardware store? Or, where can i get an aftermarket housing and bolts that fit? The ones I've found all say for pre '78 Dodges. Will these not work on an '87 engine?

Minor little issue, but it's holding me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 AM
74PWpit

Hi, Older engines used a larger thermostat, and the bolts you need are 3/8-16 x 1 ". You can get these at any hardware store.
#3 Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Delray Dude
440 and a 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74PWpit View Post
Hi, Older engines used a larger thermostat, and the bolts you need are 3/8-16 x 1 ". You can get these at any hardware store.
pretty sure this is the correct size, as 99% of them are but really depends upon the intake manifold - rare cases I have seen other sizes - but i know that my '87 stock 2bbl intake was the same as above.
#4 Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
comingapart

(Thread Starter)
after numerous hardware store trips, they turned out to be M8 1.25.
#5 Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
comingapart

(Thread Starter)
Also, now that I've gotten everything bolted back up after the water pump replacement, there's a pretty good leak that has developed, it seems to be coming from the timing cover mating to the block. Is this possible that removing the waterpump caused that seal to break?

Resealing that will involve dropping the oil pan and pulling the dampener won't it?
#6 Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Warlock's Dad

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Metric ... what are Dodges coming to?

Oh, that's right, Fiats

<grin>... but a TRUCK????

Sorry, Grady
#7 Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Delray Dude
440 and a 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingapart View Post
after numerous hardware store trips, they turned out to be M8 1.25.
damn... shoot - i forgot - i put a '70 318 in mine.
#8 Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Delray Dude
440 and a 4 speed

Quote:
Also, now that I've gotten everything bolted back up after the water pump replacement, there's a pretty good leak that has developed, it seems to be coming from the timing cover mating to the block. Is this possible that removing the waterpump caused that seal to break?

Resealing that will involve dropping the oil pan and pulling the dampener won't it?

it is very possible to break the seal on the chain cover. depends upon where you are leaking. if it is near the top, you might be able to get some permatex in there to stop it, but highly unlikely, but to do it properly, you will have to pull the balancer, water pump, and drop the oil pan (atleast lower it via almost undoing the bolts - but chances are you'll break the oil pan seal doing this.

Sounds like a great opportunity to drop the pan, clean out the pan and see how the bottom end is holding out! (remember to pull the dipstick before you drop the pan).

drop the pan. remove the front (water pump and cover). reseal the front - then do the pan
#9 Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
comingapart

(Thread Starter)
This is my first time doing any real work to a Dodge, I've mostly dealt with Chevy's, so thats what i'm used to.

It's dark now, so I don't feel like crawling around underneath it. How much room is there to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? I'm not as keen on rolling around on my back as I used to be, wouldn't I be better off just pulling the engine and doing it on a stand?
#10 Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Delray Dude
440 and a 4 speed

Quote:
This is my first time doing any real work to a Dodge, I've mostly dealt with Chevy's, so thats what i'm used to.

It's dark now, so I don't feel like crawling around underneath it. How much room is there to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? I'm not as keen on rolling around on my back as I used to be, wouldn't I be better off just pulling the engine and doing it on a stand?
you'll find that the small block Chrysler is very similiar to the chevy - with certain differences obviously.

As to the oil pan - well, depends upon your clearance on the truck. plenty of room, but you will spend some decent time on your back. if you have the crane and the time, it's always easier to pull the motor/trans and set the seals on a stand.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.