Thermostat housing bolts. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

comingapart

Thermostat housing bolts. - Posted: 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Post #1

'87 D150 w/318.

Some how I've lost the bolts for the thermostat housing and none of my "magic bucket" bolts seem to fit.

Does anybody know the size of these bolts so I could grab some from the hardware store? Or, where can i get an aftermarket housing and bolts that fit? The ones I've found all say for pre '78 Dodges. Will these not work on an '87 engine?

Minor little issue, but it's holding me up.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

74PWpit

Posted: 09-14-2010, 12:39 AM
State: PA
Post #2

Hi, Older engines used a larger thermostat, and the bolts you need are 3/8-16 x 1 ". You can get these at any hardware store.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Delray Dude

Posted: 09-14-2010, 06:25 AM
440 and a 4 speed
City: Ft. Lauderdale
State: FL
View This User's Garage
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74PWpit View Post
Hi, Older engines used a larger thermostat, and the bolts you need are 3/8-16 x 1 ". You can get these at any hardware store.
pretty sure this is the correct size, as 99% of them are but really depends upon the intake manifold - rare cases I have seen other sizes - but i know that my '87 stock 2bbl intake was the same as above.

comingapart

Posted: 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Post #4

after numerous hardware store trips, they turned out to be M8 1.25.

comingapart

Posted: 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Also, now that I've gotten everything bolted back up after the water pump replacement, there's a pretty good leak that has developed, it seems to be coming from the timing cover mating to the block. Is this possible that removing the waterpump caused that seal to break?

Resealing that will involve dropping the oil pan and pulling the dampener won't it?

Warlock's Dad

Posted: 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #6

Metric ... what are Dodges coming to?

Oh, that's right, Fiats

<grin>... but a TRUCK????

Sorry, Grady

Delray Dude

Posted: 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM
440 and a 4 speed
View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingapart View Post
after numerous hardware store trips, they turned out to be M8 1.25.
damn... shoot - i forgot - i put a '70 318 in mine.

Delray Dude

Posted: 09-15-2010, 06:26 AM
440 and a 4 speed
View This User's Garage
Post #8

Quote:
Also, now that I've gotten everything bolted back up after the water pump replacement, there's a pretty good leak that has developed, it seems to be coming from the timing cover mating to the block. Is this possible that removing the waterpump caused that seal to break?

Resealing that will involve dropping the oil pan and pulling the dampener won't it?

it is very possible to break the seal on the chain cover. depends upon where you are leaking. if it is near the top, you might be able to get some permatex in there to stop it, but highly unlikely, but to do it properly, you will have to pull the balancer, water pump, and drop the oil pan (atleast lower it via almost undoing the bolts - but chances are you'll break the oil pan seal doing this.

Sounds like a great opportunity to drop the pan, clean out the pan and see how the bottom end is holding out! (remember to pull the dipstick before you drop the pan).

drop the pan. remove the front (water pump and cover). reseal the front - then do the pan

comingapart

Posted: 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Post #9

This is my first time doing any real work to a Dodge, I've mostly dealt with Chevy's, so thats what i'm used to.

It's dark now, so I don't feel like crawling around underneath it. How much room is there to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? I'm not as keen on rolling around on my back as I used to be, wouldn't I be better off just pulling the engine and doing it on a stand?

Delray Dude

Posted: 09-16-2010, 06:20 AM
440 and a 4 speed
View This User's Garage
Post #10

Quote:
This is my first time doing any real work to a Dodge, I've mostly dealt with Chevy's, so thats what i'm used to.

It's dark now, so I don't feel like crawling around underneath it. How much room is there to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? I'm not as keen on rolling around on my back as I used to be, wouldn't I be better off just pulling the engine and doing it on a stand?
you'll find that the small block Chrysler is very similiar to the chevy - with certain differences obviously.

As to the oil pan - well, depends upon your clearance on the truck. plenty of room, but you will spend some decent time on your back. if you have the crane and the time, it's always easier to pull the motor/trans and set the seals on a stand.
Closed Thread