Transfer Case output shaft end plug leaking - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

paulroosen

Transfer Case output shaft end plug leaking - Posted: 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM
City: Greeley Colorado
State: CO
Post #1

2003 Ram 3500 4x4: The output Shaft from the transfer case is leaking from the center. The dealer says there is a plug that is non-repairable.
Is there a way to seal this plug? or Di I need to get a new output shaft?
The Transfer-case output shaft seal is fine (no leaking)
Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TwinStick

Posted: 08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Post #2

I call BS. That just makes no sense. Dealer prob just don't want to mess with it. If there was a plug, then where did it go ? Did it go inside the transfer case ? Did it fall out ? Either way, you can go to Valu Hardware Store & buy a small rubber cork for $.15 cents. Cut it carefully to fit the hole & bam your done. I would be concerned if it fell into the tcase. Sounds like a drain & refill is in order as well. It should get chewed up after a while & come out with the fluid.
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dodgepower89

Posted: 08-31-2010, 01:36 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

I agree with TwinStick I don't see why what he said wouldn't work.

paulroosen

Posted: 08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Post #4

The plug isn't missing, just leaking. Profusely... about 1-quart in a month.

Thanks. I will try to seal it from the inside with some form-a-gasket goo.

TwinStick

Posted: 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Take some pics & let us take a look at it please.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.

'04DMR1500

Posted: 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
The White Collar Redneck
State: CT
View This User's Garage
Post #6

Pictures would really help. I can not visualize this. In my experience, the drain plugs are on the bottom of the case (not near the outputs). The fills are usually in the middle of the case.

When you say output shaft, are you talking for the front driveshaft, or the rear driveshaft?

287 Enthusiast Club Member #190
Red Truck Club Member #335

1987 Ford Crown Vic 2 dr:
*302/ AOD/ 3.73s for now
Something you've probably never seen before. Street sleeper in the making... Windsor stroker on deck.

2012 Mustang GT/CS:
*5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.55s
Race Red, Kook's, JLT, MGW, Hawk, UPR, BMR, Nitto, DEZ Racing.

paulroosen

Posted: 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Post #7

The rear output shaft is leaking
This is a long-bed with a 2-piece driveshaft (5-peice if you count the output shaft, the front half, a short piece with splines, the rear half, and the rear yoke that connects to the differential)
There are three U-Joints, and a carrier bearing.
The leak is in the center of the shaft before the U-joint near the transfer case.
I looked through the DR service manuals. I couldn't find a reference to this output shaft.
I was going to take it off this weekend and try to seal the shaft from the inside.
Thanks

Rich 2500

Posted: 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
City: Chesapeake City
State: MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #8

I'm sorry I'm pretty dense too, are we talking about the slip yoke that goes into the transfer case, and leaking though the back of it, though the splines? I have seen this on transmissions.

Elec. Blue 07 2500 Thunderoad QC Hemi 4X4

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

RubberFrog

Posted: 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #9

I'm gonna go with needing a pic on this one.
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

peeblesm

Posted: 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
ol faithful
City: Fort Leonard Wood
State: MO
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

trying to think but dont know. need pics to see. i was thinking the seal on the output shaft other than a plug. but idk. pics brother!!!
4.56 motive gears and detroit tru trac in the rear end
centerforce II clutch
gibson headers, dual exhaust
flowmaster mufflers 40 series
NGK Spark Plugs (G-power) ZFR6FGP 7100
jet performance 180* t-stat
hurst competition plus shifter #3910155 (94-00 dakota v8) fits nv3500 tranny
line-x spray in bedliner over the rails
camper shell (A.R.E. brand with no windows on the side. too many blind spots now)
kool vue tow mirrors
debadged ram 1500 letters on both sides
PML diff. cover(I like it)
265/70/17 tires on stock rims painted metallic black ( holding up good so far. lol )

halucinator

Posted: 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Newb
City: Northern Part
State: IN
Post #11

I think I am getting what he is saying.

Seems like a problem here. During the machining of driveshafts they have the center cut out for whatever reason. There is usually a brass plug that is pressed in to keep fluid from leaking out of the center of the output shaft.

Kind of a representative image here. As you can see there is a brass plug in that spot.

Back in the early 90s chrysler had a huge recall on Eagle talons and plymouth laser AWD because of that plug leaking and causing accidents from the Tcase running dry and locking up all 4 wheels.

This is how we fixed it. Take out the driveshaft and fill the end of it with a little bit of rtv. When I say little bit, you don't want to fill it full and then slam it into your tcase. You don't want the squished out and left over pieces of rtv floating around in your tcase. Then clean the grime and dirt off the other end and spread it around the outside perimeter of the plug. This should take care of any leak that you have at that spot.

-Ben

TwinStick

Posted: 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Post #12

WOW !!! What a chicken sh** design that is. I mean really, what are they saving ? Like $.50 worth of metal ? I just don't understand why anyone would design it like that at all.
winch TPC bypass

DenimAndChrome

Posted: 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
State: WV
Post #13

The outer seal on these transfer cases leaking is more common. I hear about it alot, when I bought my 03' Cummins the transfer case was shot from being run out of fluid.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500, RCLB, Cummins, 6 Speed Manual, 4x4, SLT (SOLD)
2003 Dodge Ram 3500, QCSB, Cummins, 6 Speed Manual, 4x4, Laramie, (SOLD)
2005 Dodge Ram 1500, RCLB, Hemi, Auto, 4x4, SLT, (WRECKED)

halucinator

Posted: 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Newb
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
WOW !!! What a chicken sh** design that is. I mean really, what are they saving ? Like $.50 worth of metal ? I just don't understand why anyone would design it like that at all.
Not saving on metal, the hole is needed for the machining of the splines on the yoke.

UnrulyNFS

Posted: 09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Big Riggin'
City: Lexington
State: NC
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

The new ones were designed not to leak(so i was told). My '06 had a leaking one that I had to replace. The new one has been on for 4 years and not leaked.... yet.
06 CTD 4x4 6spd, 9" Custom susp w/radius arms, Thuren Xover steering, Lazarsmith S5. 40" Toyo's. Twins, studs, & PG7. Flux2's. F1 springs. Bull Bar w/2 driving lights. Kicker and ////Alpine audio. 2 10" CVR's. Dipricol LED boost, drive, fuel, rail & pyro gauges. Straight pipe. Traction bars. TST/MP8/WILD SMARTY. SB DD 3600. GD Walbro kit w/BigLine & 2micron filtration. FREE SPIN HUBS
Dynojet with TST/MP8/Wild Smarty -571hp/1104tq ~ Stock injectors and CP3.
13.98@96mph on 40's. Good launch
13.90@102mph on 35's. Bad launch

halucinator

Posted: 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Newb
Post #16

They could have just brazed them for a couple of pennies and been done with it. Which might cause a stress because of the weld in that area though from the heating. These are just press fit plugs though like freeze plugs. I bet you could just press out that old plug and They do make rubber coated brass plugs now.
Closed Thread