2000 dodge caravan 3.0 wont start, wont crank help!!!! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

satori

2000 dodge caravan 3.0 wont start, wont crank help!!!! - Posted: 08-28-2010, 08:46 PM
State: VA
Post #1

Hi all,

I have a 2000 dodge caravan 3.0 liter that wont start. let me tell you how it came to the point where it wont start. MY check engine light was on, sometimes it comes on if the gas lit is not turned fully, but the light goes away after 48 hours. i couldnt wait 48 hours this time, since i had a deal to sell the van, and did not wont the check engine light to scare away my buyer. so i asked a friend who is suppose to now cars, how do i turn the lcheck engine light off and he said: "turn the car on, remove the negative wire from the battery and leave the car runing for 10 minutes, then connect the wire back to the battery and that will reset the check engine light and turn it off as well".
So that is what i did, i turned the car on, took off the negative wire from the battery and left the van run, it ran for 3 minutes and it cut off, and won;t start again. it does not crank it just makes a click. i checked all relays and fuses, changed the starter, all the lights work, it cant be the fuel pump cause it does not crank, the battery is not weak, as i tried to jump start it and it didnt work...i am puzzled...any ideas, please help.
i believe that the problem is an electronic one and not mechanical, but if i knew all that about cars, i wouldnt be asking the question, so please help???

thanks i advance,
Satori
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

stev

Posted: 08-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Seating for 12
City: Nashville
State: TN
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Sorry, this is the FULL SIZE Ram Van forum. The mini-vans are in another place in this forum.

As for the advice you had received from a friend, it was bad advice. What you should have done was this ...

1. Remove the negative cable from the battery.

2. Turn the key fully forward like you are going to start the mini-van.

3. Leave the key in the running position for 10+ minuets even though the engine is NOT running.

4. Take the key out of the ignition.

5. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

6. Start the van like you normally would.

Having the van run while taking the negative battery cable off can do electronic damage to the vehicle. Have you done the "key dance" to get the vehicle codes?

Hopefully the moderator can put your question to the mini-van place.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(50)*
*DodgeTalk.com Ram Van/Wagon Member #(1)*
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

alloro

Posted: 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Elder User
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by satori View Post
so i asked a friend who is suppose to now cars, how do i turn the check engine light off and he said: "turn the car on, remove the negative wire from the battery and leave the car running for 10 minutes, then connect the wire back to the battery and that will reset the check engine light and turn it off as well".
Your first step is to kick the crap out of this friend of your's for being such a moron. Your second step is to repost this in the caravan forum. This is the forum for full sized Ram Vans, not the Caravans.

Your third step is to get a hold of a code scanner to read the codes in your vehicle. The trouble codes might give you the reason why it won't crank. Personally I think you might have blown a main fuse coming off the battery, but I'm not 100% positive the Caravans have one. Fourth, the only way to turn off the check engine light is with the code scanner because there might not have been anything wrong to begin with. The Caravans turn on the check engine light every 30,000 miles as a maintenance reminder, you know...to check your filters, spark plugs, etc.

RAM MAN

Posted: 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Originating Member
City: Haslett
State: MI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

no problem

I can move it

donald7150

Posted: 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Nah a 2000 caravan wont remind you to do any maintenance

but the right thing would have been to just remove the negative cable for a few minutes with the van OFF

Removing the negative cable with it running just doesnt make any sense what so ever lol, that was a pretty good brain fart your buddy had there

satori

Posted: 08-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Thanks a lot for the reply, i tried the key dance, and it does not give me any codes. i called autozone and asked them if a scanner would work, they said it wont work if the car doesnt start....is tha true....all the lights and everything works, interior, dashboard, everything...

satori

Posted: 08-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Post #7

by the way, i should kick the crap of my friend, the moron is supposed to know cars....so much for trusting him in the future

satori

Posted: 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM MAN View Post
no problem

I can move it
Thanks a lot for moving the thread, and i apologize for posting it in the wrong forum site, you can tell im not a car guy and that this is the first time i post on a car forum....

donald7150

Posted: 08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #9

The key dance doesnt work in '99 or 2000 caravans either lol, only pre-98

And the scan tool should be able to retrieve any stored codes as long as you can turn the ignition ON. most scan tools will not erase stored codes if the engine is running either

satori

Posted: 08-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Ok, so i went to autozone and got a obd scanner and it gives me this:

0 codes, one ready: computer

I guess it means the computer is bad

can you'all confirm this for me please,

dlm4ut

Posted: 08-31-2010, 09:22 AM
State: MD
Post #11

Computer could be bad, but you might check some things out first.

Your problem now is that the starter will not turn over. However, you hear a click when you try to start. I would think this could be the starters relay/solenoid. A quick look at schematics at autozone for your car seems to indicate the starter relay is controlled by the computer, so if that is true it seems to be controlling the starter as you hear the click which is typically associated with the starter relay/solenoid. It might be possible that the starter is bad, however, this would be surprising event to all of suddenly have happen and you did replace it. Many times you hear this symptom, it is because not enough juice is getting to the starter, verify that the battery connection is on solidly and that the posts on the battery are clean. Also, verify that the wires near the post connections have not corroded. Also, there are fusible links that might have been destroyed.

dlm4ut
Closed Thread