DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rear differential whining noise ???

32K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  peeblesm 
#1 ·
have been noticing a whining / whirring noise coming from rear diff lately. visually inspected and dont see any fluid coming from pinion. topped off gear oil, only took about 2 ounces to top it off.

any ideas before i crack the pumpkin open?

#2 ·
Usually it is the pinion bearing making the noise. Could be worn out or set improperly. Mine whines also so dont feel bad. I will get to mine soon i hope.

#3 ·
x2.. i had the same problem on a cherokee i had.. does the noise go away when you let off the gas a little and come back when you press on the gas? if so, it is most likely the pinion bearing..

#4 ·
It could also be doing the exact opposite of mentioned above. It could whine while coasting and be quite under load. It's a very good possibility its the pinion bearings.

I wouldn't mess around, just get a bearing kit and replace all the bearings that are in there. No reason to have to do it all again if the carrier bearings go south on ya. The cost is in setting up the gears, not in pressing the bearings.

#5 ·
Ya mine was making a whining noise at different speeds at about 96,000. They opened it up and there was some metal shavings from the bearings. My dads 98 ram had the same deal not so long ago at 82,000. Now im rocking some 4.10's but they either used some cheap bearings or didnt shim it right cause i have a different sounding whine now. I love it when you spend money and things dont get fixed right. Its getting checked out manana.
Its most likely going to be your bearings. It seems to be a common problem with these trucks according to the guy who did my gears. He said the bearings don't get enough lubrication.

#7 ·
my 07 was making all kinds of noises when the shop opened up mine the bearings where bad and the spider gears had broke I guess I waited to long to get it fixed

#8 ·
i just noticed mines whine a few weeks ago at low speeds while im coasting. and i have all new bearings and new gears that are 5 months old in my truck.

#9 ·
mines only whines when im 30mph or lower when coasting through town. when im under load it dosent whine or when im driving 50mph or higher or on the highway it doesnt whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.