hey guys, I have been searching on this site for some help with some issues with my 2002 caravan... it has a 3.3L and about 170,000 Kms on the clock. Bought it used about two years ago.
It has run like a top since purchase until about a month ago. The engine started to misfire to the point of feeling it In idle and in gear. Let me give you some more info on what's been happening....
- first started off with feeling the miss every once in a while, i would say every couple minutes of driving you could feel it.
- gradually got worse to the point of thinking it will stall (idle at 400 to 500rpm) it got this bad within a week and this is when the CEL decided to light up. Code 0172 (running rich on bank one)
- checked plugs. cylinder 3 plug was fouled very badly, black soot all over it. All other plugs were white. Replaced #3 plug to see if it would be corrected - nope.
- Replaced All plugs, Still no change.
- replaced wires and ran half of a bottle of Seafoam through the brake booster vac hose, and the rest in the gas tank. Fuel was around 3/4. Let sit for twenty five minutes and started. Ran at 2200rpm until the magic smoke dissapeared. Took it for a spin on the highway. Ran like normal intermittantly (say, about every second or so). This is where i thought i was on the right road until it started to run like crap again... within about five minutes. Parked it for the day.
- replaced coil pack with a used one from local car junk yard. no change.
- ran another half bottle of Seafoam through it again. Not much change this time.
- had a mechanic come look at it. found out it runs just wonderfully when cold. As soon as it warms up (within a couple minutes) its back to crapsville. He tried shutting off each individual injector and all it would do is idle up about a hundred or so rpm on every cylinder. Im not sure what else he did, just didnt find anything out.
- I replaced the battery because we had been having issues with it not starting every once in a while.
- also found out there is a "sweet spot" in the throttle before it bogs down. it will have power at just under full throttle.
I'm sorry i was long winded for my first post but thought i would give all the information i could.
Hope I can get some help from you great bunch of people here.
As a matter of fact I think it was this site that helped me last year with my heater blend door problem (it had broken and had to cut out the old one and glue it all back together
Saved me a grand on repairs with that one! Anyway, I'll be waiting for a fix on this issue...