Expansion (Freeze) Plug Replacement - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM
jborfair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Expansion (Freeze) Plug Replacement

Howdy all...once again I need some help from your banks of information lodged into your 2G Ram craniums.

99 Ram1500 4X4 66,800 original miles
5.9L
Automatic.

I recently replaced an easy to get to expansion plug on the front left side of the block. Low and behold, as expected another one springs a new, but slow leak. This one seems to be from the aft end of the block, where the transmission mounts to the block. I can see one that isn't leaking, but I cannot determine if there is an upper and a lower expansion plug on the left side, rear end of the block. I can only assume there is. I can trace the leak up to that vicinity, however cannot determine the origin. I have to assume there is a plug there.

My question is, is this a plug I can get to w/o having to pull the tranny from the block, or am I best suited to take it in and pay the exhorbitant labor to get it done?

Any of you grease monkey, wrench turning knowledgable guys got any clue(s) for me?

I appreciate the help guys. I have to go hunting in 2 months, a 5 hour drive one way and I don't want to run into any problems...especially on a 30 degree incline climbing a mountain.

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 PM
key99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IIRC there is an "allen type DRAIN PLUG" for water jacket on each SIDE of block, at the lower/rear of jackets.

99 1500 SLT quad SB 4x4 5.2 227k mi; SUN vac ga, tow hooks ... umpteenth 46/re, LONG 28K lb tr cooler, HAYDEN temp ga ... 3.55 c/w broken clip, 255/70 MICH M+S ... RED HEAD, DSS, MOOG trac n adj BJ; AMS in motor n diffs; HUSKY flr mats ... New shocks, drums, EXTREME rotors; rebuilt mas cyl ... Recent windshield, rad, rr springs, frt axle joints n seals ... Hand vac pump to control recirc door

97 SLT club SB 4x4 5.2 auto 3.55 lsd, factory tr cooler, HD fan clutch; 140k mi
--Both have spray in box liners; need PS coolers, and better water pumps for htr/winter use
#3 Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Woodstock
Woodstock

If I remember right, there is a large freeze plug between the allen type Drain Plugs that key99 mentioned. The freeze plug is straight up from the crank at the top of the block. Sorry, but you have to pull the engine or transmission to replace it.

2000 1500 Sport 5.9 4X4 QC 46re w/TFODjr
SCT by hemifever, 4.10 Gears, Stainless Steel Headers
HellBent Steel leveling kit, 33X12.50X16 Super Swamper TSL Radials
1985 350 Custom Dually 360ci 4barrel 727
#4 Old 07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
key99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock
If I remember right, there is a large freeze plug between the allen type Drain Plugs that key99 mentioned. The freeze plug is straight up from the crank at the top of the block.
... Woodstock. I think that would be the CAMSHAFT plug, with LIFTER GALLERY plugs(allen type) on each side of it.

... There are 2 freeze plugs for water jackets ON BACK OF BLOCK; 1 on driver side(at 9:30), and 1 on pass side(at 1:30), when looking at crankshaft from rear..
.. Is intake mani to "head intake surface"(heads have rear coolant ports) leaking, and draining down btw block and trans?
... Check mani bolts for wet/corrosion.

99 1500 SLT quad SB 4x4 5.2 227k mi; SUN vac ga, tow hooks ... umpteenth 46/re, LONG 28K lb tr cooler, HAYDEN temp ga ... 3.55 c/w broken clip, 255/70 MICH M+S ... RED HEAD, DSS, MOOG trac n adj BJ; AMS in motor n diffs; HUSKY flr mats ... New shocks, drums, EXTREME rotors; rebuilt mas cyl ... Recent windshield, rad, rr springs, frt axle joints n seals ... Hand vac pump to control recirc door

--Both have spray in box liners; need PS coolers, and better water pumps for htr/winter use
#5 Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Woodstock
Woodstock

Yep, you're right key99. I could only picture in my mind that plug (camshaft) in the top position on the back of the block. I usually have a small block laying around to go look at .

2000 1500 Sport 5.9 4X4 QC 46re w/TFODjr
SCT by hemifever, 4.10 Gears, Stainless Steel Headers
HellBent Steel leveling kit, 33X12.50X16 Super Swamper TSL Radials
1985 350 Custom Dually 360ci 4barrel 727
#6 Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
key99

Ya, all i got is a pic; havent a clue how to post it, so brokn english ul hav to do, lol.

#7 Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Moparite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Get the brass freeze plugs not the steel. You'll only have the same problem years down the road. My .02 worth.
#8 Old 07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
jborfair

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by key99 View Post
... Woodstock. I think that would be the CAMSHAFT plug, with LIFTER GALLERY plugs(allen type) on each side of it.

... There are 2 freeze plugs for water jackets ON BACK OF BLOCK; 1 on driver side(at 9:30), and 1 on pass side(at 1:30), when looking at crankshaft from rear..
.. Is intake mani to "head intake surface"(heads have rear coolant ports) leaking, and draining down btw block and trans?
... Check mani bolts for wet/corrosion.
I will check the manifold for any leaks. It would be easy to find since the engine is all but showroom new.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.