Repaired my 05 broken lumbar support - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM
jason57gizmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Repaired my 05 broken lumbar support

Took a short break from the books yesterday, and decided to repair the broken drivers side lumbar support (the manual one, with the knob) that broke 3 or 4 years ago. I read an article somewhere on the net, so i cant take credit for the whole thing, but I can simplify it for you. The whole thing took about 20 mins.

Its pretty straight forward. You pull the knob straight out (mine was loose anyway, so it didn't have any resistance). Then remove the 2 screws from the black "cup" underneath, followed by the 2 screws from the white "cup" under that one. There is a locking pin that has to be pushed to turn the remaining black plastic through the the frame (away from you). It will help if you pull up the back of the seat cover, approx half way up the seat (otherwise its like doing heart surgery while going in through your ***hole). Once its removed, pull the black housing out through the back of the seat. My lumbar support was broken where a white plastic "screw" met up with the lumbar support (i have no idea why this was engineered that way, as it seems like an easy location for a break). Trust me, you'll know what I mean when you see it.

Take the "white screw" with the broken end, and drill out a small enough hole for an eye bolt to fit in. What we are going to do is use the eye bolt as a MUCH stronger replacement for the original P.O.S. plastic setup. I happened to have an eye bolt laying in the drawer that worked (I did, however, need to cut a piece of the eye out, and crush it down, making the eye bolt part small enough to slide back into the housing). I would say a bolt with the threading for 1" to 1 1/2" should be long enough. Once you have the bolt screwed securely into place (maybe a drop of glue to ensure it doesn't come out, though doubtful), slide it into the black housing that is still attached to the lumbar support (the lumbar support is essentially a band that goes from one side of the seat to the other). There will be a locking pin on the band that will need to be pulled out so the eye bolt's hole can be slid in. When you have the pin reinstalled, just reverse the disassembly instructions to put it back together. Congratulations, you not only repaired your lumbar support for under $1, but you ensured that this part wont break again!

2 things:

1) This is MUCH simpler to do once you actually take it apart, than just reading my instructions. (at least it was for me, as I'm a visual kinda guy )

2)I'm undoubtedly going to get someone to post "this thread is useless without pics". I know . I would rather post this with no pics, than not post it at all.

If anyone has any questions, or a way I can make this clearer, just let me know.

'05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI 4x4 (ThunderRoad)
Sun/moon roof, Leather interior, 20" Rims, t-bars cranked and leveled, Pirelli scorpions 325/60/R20, Yukon 4.56 in front and rear, Detroit Trutrac LSD out back, Aluminium Billet grille (upper and lower)

Alpine CDA-9831, Rockford T15004, JL 1000/1, MB Quart QSD 216's in front (mid range replaced with Dynaudio MW 172) and in rear,2 JL 13W6V2, Audiocontrol EQS, Optima yellow top Battery, DC Power 180 amp alternator (120 amps at idle)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
JackedDak03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting, I'll have to give it a shot this weekend. Mine comes up but won't go back down for some reason.

2002 Ford F350 CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3 Diesel
BHAF, PHP Hydra Tuned, 4" Straight Piped Exhaust
Gone:
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport V10
1998.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 24V Cummins
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 HEMI
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 4.7
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9 V8
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9 V8
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 RegCab ShortBed Sport 5.9 V8

2013 Kia Sportage -Company Car
2003 Jeep Liberty - Wife's Jeep
Past -92 Daytona R/T, 94 3000GT, 91 TransAm, 88 RX7 TII, 89 YJ, 92 Bronco, 88 YJ, 94 F150, 96 Rodeo, 88,89,90,91 5.0 Mustang's, 03 Mustang GT, 04 SRT4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.