Surging @ 1200 - 1400 RPM - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Selcher

Surging @ 1200 - 1400 RPM - Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM
City: Halifax
State: NS
Post #1

Hi folks,

So here's my situation...

2004 Ram 5.7L 4x4

In the last week or so I've noticed that the truck surges below 1500 RPM at low speeds. The RPM will fluctuate randomly, sometimes as much as 300RPM... even dropped below 1000 RPM a few times almost like it wanted to stall.

At first I had thought it was the Superchips so I removed the tune and put it back to stock (although the tune has been in for months without any problems). Same issue. I reset the PCM and immediately had the same issue again. So I've ruled out the Superchips.

I'm not having any loss of power when I go WOT and when the RPM's are above 2000, the truck runs normal.

I've been searching the forums and I keep reading about changing the EGR and PCV... possibly the TPS too. Does it sound like an EGR issue? Wouldn't a TPS issue cause it to be wonky a various speeds and not just around 1200 RPM at low speeds?

... what about cleaning the EGR and throttle body?

*** Edited to add that I've ran 3 tanks of gas from reputable stations through the truck and also dumped in a bottle of fuel system cleaner in 2 tanks ago... no dice. I also checked for codes with the Superchips, none before or after the PCM reset ***

What say you, DodgeTalk?

Thanks!

MBRP Pro Series Dual Split Rear Exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq 3865
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RMBLEBee2392

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
City: Mid western Ont
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Mine was doing what yours is two weeks ago. I replaced my EGR and it went away. Do you have any codes coming up?

Pipeliner_86

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
City: Petersburg, MI
State: MI
Post #3

I have had the same problems too. Mine spits and sputters when I am crusing at 70mph or so, about 10 minutes into driving, or at least after it has warmed up. It tries to stall, I punch it and it clears its throat. I get an engine light too.
I have cleaned my TB, has new plugs/wires and newer coil packs. Have run a few tanks of fuel with dry gas and fuel system cleaner. I just replaced my cam sensor, which was one of the codes I got. No EGR system on my engine, so I might as well go and replace my crank sensor which another code I got.

Good luck, I don't have any suggestions for you. Sorry.
If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Hemi no more.
Replaced by a Ford Excursion 4x4

My truck:
1991 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4
6.2 diesel, SM465 stick shift and NP205 case.
4:10 gears, stump puller....not a hot rod.
Petersburg, MI
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBLEBee2392 View Post
Mine was doing what yours is two weeks ago. I replaced my EGR and it went away. Do you have any codes coming up?
Nope, no codes at all. Were you getting these issues at the same RPM as me? Did you notice it starting to get worse too?

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner_86 View Post
I have had the same problems too. Mine spits and sputters when I am crusing at 70mph or so, about 10 minutes into driving, or at least after it has warmed up. It tries to stall, I punch it and it clears its throat. I get an engine light too.
I have cleaned my TB, has new plugs/wires and newer coil packs. Have run a few tanks of fuel with dry gas and fuel system cleaner. I just replaced my cam sensor, which was one of the codes I got. No EGR system on my engine, so I might as well go and replace my crank sensor which another code I got.

Good luck, I don't have any suggestions for you. Sorry.
If I figure it out, I'll let you know.
Mine seems okay at highway speeds. At least if it is doing it, I can't notice because of the speed so the surging might be happening too fast for the human ear/eye.

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

RMBLEBee2392

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:32 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

I was getting p0406, think it was sensor circuit to high. I was getting a surging around 1000-1700 rpm. Slow speeds through town was really noiticable. I kept on clearing the code but it would just come back on when I started the truck again. So broke down and got the EGR. Been good ever since.

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Post #7

Quote:
I was getting p0406, think it was sensor circuit to high. I was getting a surging around 1000-1700 rpm. Slow speeds through town was really noiticable. I kept on clearing the code but it would just come back on when I started the truck again. So broke down and got the EGR. Been good ever since.
Hmmm... I'm not getting any codes, yet. That does sound very similar to what I'm experiencing though. Around town is VERY noticable. What did you pay for a new EGR?

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Post #8

I wish I could get the truck to throw a code... then I'd know for sure.

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

ceri

Posted: 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
City: North Richland Hills
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Have you had your tranny serviced in the last 3 months or so? I'd start with the TB cleaning and pcv valve. Then move on to the EGR is it's still there. If the transmission's been serviced recently, there's a gasket that can cause some idle stalling issues.

2011 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 5.7L V8 RWD
Waiting on tuning before the mods start!

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceri View Post
Have you had your tranny serviced in the last 3 months or so? I'd start with the TB cleaning and pcv valve. Then move on to the EGR is it's still there. If the transmission's been serviced recently, there's a gasket that can cause some idle stalling issues.
No tranny work at all recently and it actually idles well. There's been no stalling issues at stop lights or anything of that nature. It's just the surging between 1000 - 1500 RPM at low speeds. Everything else is like normal. I'm hyper sensitive to any change in the truck at all so maybe it'll get worse and throw a code or something. I'm going to clean the throttle body in the next day or so and see if that makes any difference and price the PCV and EGR. All the threads seem to be pointing me to that... just odd that I'm not getting a code.

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Hemi_2500

Posted: 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Bigg Rigg
City: Carterville
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #11

try unplugging the EGR and see if the symptons go away.
Proud Member of the White Truck Club #77
Proud Member of the Military Truck Club #10
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 Dodge Journey Blacktop Edition
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi GONE

Selcher

Posted: 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi_1500 View Post
try unplugging the EGR and see if the symptons go away.
Excellent, Ill try that. Do I simply need to just unplug the clip? Should I expect it to throw a code while doing this test? Thanks for the idea!

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Hemi_2500

Posted: 05-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Bigg Rigg
Post #13

I dont rember exactly. When I had my 05 and I had the same problem you are having some one on this site told me to unplug the EGR and if my symptons went away that my EGR was bad. I unpluged the connector from the EGR and my symptons went away so i drove around with it unplugged til the dealer got an EGR in. I want to say an EGR is around 60 bucks for one. Im pretty sure I had a CEL light come on. Hope this helps you out.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

TheFinFanMan

Posted: 05-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Kenneth Robert
City: Cincinnati
Post #14

I would clean your throttle body. Start with that and see what happens. It's cheap and might fix your issue. Worse case it doesn't and then you can look into the EGR.

Selcher

Posted: 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Post #15

So it was getting worse today and I decided to unplug the EGR... the problem went away. I guess it's the EGR after all, despite not throwing any codes. I'm going to remove the throttle body, PCV and EGR tomorrow if it's not raining and clean them all thoroughly... hopefully that takes care of the issue.

In other news, I almost traded the truck in today on a 2010 Inferno Red Sport model...

Anyone know what makes the R/T model any different other than the hood?

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

RMBLEBee2392

Posted: 05-31-2010, 08:19 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

I think the R/T has 410 gears and a higher stall converter.

Selcher

Posted: 06-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Post #17

Quote:
I think the R/T has 410 gears and a higher stall converter.
Can you get a R/T in 4 wheel drive, crew cab configuration or just 4x2, single cab? I saw what looked like a R/T hood on a 4x4, crew cab but didn't notice any R/T emblems.

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Hemi_2500

Posted: 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Bigg Rigg
Post #18

No,

You can only get them in SC 4x2 versions that is the main reason I have not jumped on one.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi

Selcher

Posted: 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi_1500 View Post
No,

You can only get them in SC 4x2 versions that is the main reason I have not jumped on one.
Well, a black Hemi Ram Sport rolled off the assembly line today and I believe it will have my name on it. Time to trade up to a 2010 model me thinks.

Superchips Flashpaq 3865

Hemi_2500

Posted: 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Bigg Rigg
Post #20

Nice congrats make sure to take pics.
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Closed Thread