A/C blowing hot air while idle - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

vox87

A/C blowing hot air while idle - Posted: 05-15-2010, 02:10 AM
State: NC
Post #1

Been trying to search for a fix, but it seems like other posts were having problems with the A/C blowing constant hot air while idling and driving.

My A/C blows cold, when going down the road, but blows warm when idling at a stop light or just in park. Came across a post that mentioned a compressor fan, but I didn't see any other fans besides the cooling fan for the radiator.

I did check the relay labeled A/C and it seemed fine based on the manual.
  • continuity between terminals 87A and 30 - good
  • no continuity between terminals 87 and 30 - good
  • resistance between terminals 85 and 86 should be 75 5 ohms - measured about 90 ohms, so not sure if that's an indication of a bad relay though

On a side note, (couple of months ago) my heater started experiencing a common problem, where the back vents blow cold air instead of hot. Not sure, if it's related to the same issue.

2002 Durango SLT 5.9L 4x4

Appreciate any help on this. Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

D72Gladiator

Posted: 05-16-2010, 12:09 AM
DeeGladiator
City: SoCal
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

when was the last time you charged the ac system?
i had that happen on another car, and i bought a can of ac charger...and it worked.
also check for leaks.
Custom Made Fold Down Roof Light Bar w/4 9" Hid's w/Internal Ballast
Custom Made Rear Runner Bar w/2 100w Off Road Lights
Custom Chrome Front Grille w/2 55w Offroad Lights
Fiberglass Extended Prerunner Fenders
3" Longer Rancho RS 5000 Shocks
33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrian T/A KM2
15x8 Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys
Pro Comp Xtreme Offroad Wheel rings
LED Turn Signal Lights w/Heated Mirrors
LED Red Tail Lights
McCullouch 8000K HID Headlights
Diamond Chrome Housing Headlamps
Royal Purple in ALL fluids
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Front
Black Tinted Windows All Around
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover - Powder Coated Hyper Silver
9.25 Auburn High Performance Series LSD
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

B1G BLEU

Posted: 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
City: W. Hempstead
State: NY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

I'm agreeing with what D72 said for the low charge, as far as the back, it's probably the mode door is stuck. It could also be the electric coolant pump has failed, but IDK if that would completely prevent free flowing coolant from reaching the heater core.
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - Bully Pedals - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 29K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims
Wife's Ride : 2006 Grand Caravan SXT INFERNO RED
Work Ride : 2009 Grand Caravan C/V STONE WHITE
Daughter's Ride : 2011 Jeep Compass Latitude
Son's Ride : no job = no car
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Iwa2002

Posted: 05-17-2010, 11:32 AM
City: Honolulu
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

My Durango had the same problems. Check the relay for e-fan, if that's okay your problem is your e-fan. I've replaced mine 3 times in 8 years, they run about $110.00. These fans do have two speeds. Which I didn't believe, but I just did a replacement last week, my AC back at 45 degrees full time here in Hawaii. Good luck.

vox87

Posted: 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Post #5

Following up...

Didn't really need a charge, but went ahead and topped it off. It's still blowing warm air while idling and cold when driving.

Noticed the compressor is making a clicking type sound, but that could be normal. However, when I turned off the engine, I did notice the compressor pulley would stop, but then move again (just a little). Followed by a high pitch sound of pressure being release from the compressor.

As for the e-fan, I'm assuming that's the fan, I've seen mention in other threads.. Since driving generates the needed air flow for the coolant and while idle the fan fails to.

How difficult is it get to the e-fan? Is it possible to go from the front to get to it? Or do you have to take out the radiator fan to get to it?

Again, thanks for the help.

Fox Fader

Posted: 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Psalm 121
City: Columbus
State: GA
View This User's Garage
Post #6

You should be able to take a good look at and tell how to get to it.
Swag #1 - '02 Durango 4.7 4X4 89k
Swag #2 - '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
Swag #3 - '06 GSX-R 1000 Streetfighter

What do you add to powdered water?

cpisarra

following up - Posted: 06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
State: OK
Post #7

VOX87, just curious to know if you have found any luck with a good solution for this problem?

The symptoms sound identical to my issues (2000 SLT 4.7):
topped off refrigrant, blowing warm air while idling and cold when driving, compressor is making a clicking type sound, compressor pulley would stops when turning off the engine, but then move again a little, high pitch sound of pressure being release from the compressor.

Have you been able to get to the fan, or find any other issues, or any solutions? Your insight is deeply appreciated!

vox87

Posted: 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Post #8

I'm trying to locate a fan.

Bought one from Car Quest and realized the shroud is totally different from the stock one. Tried some other places too (Auto Zone, Advance, Pep Boys), but no luck on an OEM.

Doesn't look like I can take the shroud off the stock and place it on the one I bought.

My shroud mount looks like this (in a generic sense), <@> , with bolts at the points of the lesser and greater symbols (left and right of the fan). I saw in another post, where someone had a different type of shroud on a 2000. Bolts on the top, bottom, and the sides.

From the reading I've done, it looks like I'll have to go through a dealer or somewhere online for the OEM part.

As soon as I can replace it, I'll follow up. Hopefully, some time this weekend. It's just too damn hot to deal with this warm air.

tmerritt530

Posted: 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Busted Knuckle Garage
City: Goddard
State: KS
Post #9

If the pressures are normal but the vent air is still not cooling at idle you might be overheating. Did you notice overheating at all?

Tanner 04 RCSB 4.7 4x4
OEM Off-Road 17" by 8" wheels - Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/70R17 tires - H/O cams
H/O cylinder heads -
OEM fog light kit - Hitch receiver kit - Self wired Tow Package
Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake control - dumped Magnaflow 12468 DIDO
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S410 subwoofer -Mineral Grey Truck Club #89
Gates idler pulley
Experience: The Siege of Toots!

vox87

Posted: 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerritt530 View Post
If the pressures are normal but the vent air is still not cooling at idle you might be overheating. Did you notice overheating at all?
I don't think its overheating. The temp gauge shows between the quarter mark and the temp symbol. Either way, the fan is gone and needs to be replaced.

Since none of the local stores were confident in their OEM reference, I finally found the OEM part# online today. Of course, I found several online places were the part was way cheaper than the local stores.

So, hopefully I'll have the part by this weekend and see if it corrects the issue.

tmerritt530

Posted: 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Busted Knuckle Garage
Post #11

Ok good just asking is all. Hope you get it fixed

Tanner 04 RCSB 4.7 4x4
OEM Off-Road 17" by 8" wheels - Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/70R17 tires - H/O cams
H/O cylinder heads -
Gates idler pulley

vox87

Posted: 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerritt530 View Post
Ok good just asking is all. Hope you get it fixed
Sorry.. I hope I didn't come across wrong.

I finally got the fan in today, but she's still blowing lukewarm air. I let it idle for about 15 mins and the cabin was still a bit warm. Temp gauge displayed normal temps (between the quarter mark and the temp symbol).

Not sure where to go from there.

B1G BLEU

Posted: 06-24-2010, 06:17 PM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
Post #13

vent air in a/c mode with the slider on cool and engine coolant temperature have nothing to do with each other
02 Durango (build 11/01) SLT┼ AB/BLACK INT 4.7L NGC 45RFE PT3.55 LSD 4X4 - Superchips 3715 Performance - Sensatracs - Chrome Nose - Carriage Works Billet Grilles - APC Clear Corners - Infinity 6022i's w/stock tweeters - Bully Pedals - Hidden Hitch - Silverstar 9007ST's - K&N high-flow 33-2175 air filter- TFP Chrome Handles - 29K Miles - (MB Gunner Chrome Wheels + General Grabbers wintering in basement) Hammered blue factory rims

tmerritt530

Posted: 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Busted Knuckle Garage
Post #14

Double post somehow please delete this.

Tanner 04 RCSB 4.7 4x4
H/O cylinder heads -
Gates idler pulley

Last edited by tmerritt530 : 06-25-2010 at 08:54 AM.

tmerritt530

Posted: 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Busted Knuckle Garage
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G BLEU View Post
vent air in a/c mode with the slider on cool and engine coolant temperature have nothing to do with each other
Yeah they have a lot to do with each other. The engine coolant is what goes through the heater core. Even if the blend door is closed to heat an overheated core will radiate heat into the a/c ductwork and cause undesired temps out the vents.

Thats why i asked the OP if he was overheating.

Since he isn't, my next step would be to check for kinks in
the refrigerant lines and to pull a vacuum on the system to check if there was moisture or too much lubricating oil in the refrigerant.

Tanner 04 RCSB 4.7 4x4
H/O cylinder heads -
Gates idler pulley

B1G BLEU

Posted: 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
Post #16

yeah, 215 deg water is ALOT hotter than 185!!!

Chris_G

This is the blend door... - Posted: 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Post #17

this ones easy...forget about all the above posts

its the blend door in your air box...whats happening is that at speed sufficient air passes through the air box to keep the blend door pushed to one side. on idle the blend door springs back and you get a mixture of cold and hot air...despite the rotary temp knob being over to max cold

the blend door is controlled by a bowden cable from the rotary knob - not a fixed link...so when it sticks the slack is taken up in the cable...

solutions are difficult - try sticking a compressed air line down the vent and see if you can blow the muck out. take the rotary controller out and work the cable back & forth. finally worst case scenario is to take the dash apart and remove the air box for fixing

good luck...Chris

cpisarra

blend - Posted: 07-08-2010, 01:30 AM
State: OK
Post #18

thanks, Chris for this intrguing viewpoint and idea on an ongoing problem for me. Has Chris's suggestion worked for anyone else?

Any tips on going about forcing the blend door to sprng back open? chris, you mentioned using compressed air to backfeed through the vent ductwork -- which vent should I start with?

And exactly where in the vehicle does the air box / blend door exist?

Thanks folks!

B1G BLEU

Posted: 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpisarra View Post
*SNIP*
And exactly where in the vehicle does the air box / blend door exist?
It's about 6.5 hours inside your dashboard! Not for the queasy, you have to discharge the A/C lines as well to get the sucker out of the vehicle

brad81987

Posted: 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
City: Houghton
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

I've noticed my A/C blows a tad warmer than I'd consider normal when I'm not moving. Usually only happens when outside temp is about 85 or higher, which it as been around Detroit lately. I'm sure the problem is just not enough air flow through the evaporator when not moving. My e-fan works fine, but I did remove the clutch fan.

Part of it could also be that the Durango evaporator is grossly undersized. I currently work with an ex Chrysler HVAC engineer. He worked on the Gen 1 Durango systems and was the lead engineer on the Gen 2 Durango automatic climate control system. He told me the other day that the Gen 1 Durango, at least the earlier ones, used the same A/C evaporator as the Dodge Omni!! Compare the interior volume of an Omni and a Durango and stop wondering why the Durango A/C is pretty mediocre.

-Brad-

2000 Durango SLT 4.7L 116,000 miles
Bilstein Shocks, Addco Sway Bars, Magnaflow Muffler
Drawtite Front Hitch and Custom Brush Guard
True HID Projector Headlights (Morimoto Mini's in Clear Headlights)
Hella Micro DE Projector Fogs with 3000k HID Kit

Last edited by brad81987 : 07-10-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Closed Thread