Dana 80 pinion seal nut - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

ramiron

Dana 80 pinion seal nut - Posted: 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
State: FL
Post #1

The rear is a Dana 80 in a 4x4 ram 2500 5spd.. The dif. has an 80 cast into the front of the diff so I am pretty certain it is the Dana 80. I need to buy a socket to remove the pinion nut, does anyone know the size of the nut? Using my bi-focals and a tape, I measured it to be 2", I was wrong. After 70 miles round trip to get a socket that didn't fit, I measured the nut again, this time I was more careful and came up with 1 7/8". I want to be certain, since it is 35 miles to Sears, and the local part store doesn't have a 1 7/8". Does anyone here know the size for certain?

Also I have read a Haynes with regard to pinion seal procedure. For the Dana 80 there is no mention of checking the pre-load before removing the nut, like with the 60 and others. It looks like you can scribe the shaft and nut, replace the seal and torque it to the scribe marks. Anyone know for sure? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by ramiron : 05-12-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: additional info
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ramiron

Posted: 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Hood label confirms it is Dana 80. Also found nut size is 1 7/8", torque spec. 400+lbs. From what I can read, there is no crush sleeve in the 80, it uses shims. So, if I mark it closely on the pinion shaft and nut, then reassemble and tighten to exactly align my scribes, will this work. I don't have access to 400+ft.lb. torque wrench.

Has anyone removed one of these using a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a cheater handle? I'm afraid all I will accomplish is breaking the breaker bar.

Thanks for any logical and knowledgeable input.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dennyboy

Posted: 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
City: Shoreview
State: MN
View This User's Garage
Post #3

ive use an impact gun to get it off and marked it before hand and tightened it with a hefty half inch drive.

1999 regular cab short box/ 5.2 (under construction)

CRACKED DASH ENTHUSIAST CLUB
Don't TOUCH my Truck Club#94

Exterior: 8k lows, 6k fogs, 6k reverse lights, Dually tailgate light bar, 285 75 16 Falken rocky mountain ats's, rhino liner, toneau cover, vision warrior rims, TGC 2" level kit, carbon metallic brake pads and shoes
Interior: SLP head unit, Alpine Sps-609's, alpine Sps-500's, Alpine Mrp-f500, Alpine swe-1243, tom tom GPS, cobra radar, red interior lighting, Midland CB radio, Dual 4' fire sticks
Engine: Super chips 3865, power wire, 14X3 open element w/ K&N, Harland Sharp 1.7rr's, duals with glass packs and no cat, Under drive pulley's soon

ramiron

Thumbs up Thanks for the input - Posted: 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the info.. Was the one you did a Dana 80? I am concerned about that 400 fl.lb. of torque, that is a lot of Wheaties, but I think I will give it a whirl if I can find a socket. I made my second trip to Sears, and exchanged the 2" socket for a 1 7/8" but found it will not go into the yoke nut recess. It needs to be a thin wall socket but I can't bring myself to grind a $25 socket to a thinner wall. If it cracked under that kind of torque I'm sure Craftman would say, sorry no warranty. Any additional information on your experiences with your seal change is welcomed and appreciated.
Closed Thread