DTC P2314 and P2302 need some help - - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 AM
otter1363
Dump Truck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DTC P2314 and P2302 need some help -

Wired my 5.7 up for 6.1 coil/valve cover set up. I used a junkyard harness at first and truck went into in limp mode. Pulled the harness and reconfigured the origional harness from the truck. Turck fires right up but throwing P2314 and P2302. Codes are related to coil pack 1 and 5. Heres the data (smae for both coil packs...
Trouble Code: P2302

Ignition Coil No. 1 Secondary Circuit Insufficient Ionization

Trouble Code Conditions:Engine started; and the PCM detected the Ignition Coil No. 1 secondary "burn time" was insufficient, or it was missing.

Possible Causes:

•Intermittent condition
•Cylinder No. 1 spark plug or wire is damaged or it has failed
•Ignition Coil No. 1 is damaged or it has failed
•Ignition coil control circuit is open or shorted to ground
•ASD relay output circuit problems
•PCM has failed

I went over all of the connections - re soldered them. Checked resistance from coil connector to harness plug - everything is fine. swapped the coil packs with another cylinder to see if the codes chase it but the codes stayed at 1 and 5 so it's not a coil pac. WTF?? like I said the truck runs ok - no misfiring...

'05 RCSB 4x4
12.17 @ 107.46 - 1.57 60'
Hemifever tuning FTW!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Rocky31186

I used to get that ionization code when I had my taylor shorties.. but since you did the coil convervsion you dont have wires...

Not sure whats going on with it.. im sure you wired them all the same.. And you swapped coils.. weird..

2006 Jeep GCSRT8 6.1L AWD

BT Catch Can - FRI LilBoy Cam - Magnaflow Exhaust - Vortech V-3 Blower - Johan Tuned - Stage I Injectors - Aero340 Fuel Pump - Eibach Lowering Kit - Boost/AirFuel/Fuel Pressure Gauges.

#3 Old 05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
otter1363
Dump Truck

(Thread Starter)
Well, I found a post on the topic (below) and based on that info I thought it would be best if tI switched back to the single coils and long wires. Mostly because I use nitrous and know what happens when you have shorties w/spray. Well, any way re-wired back to stock set up and getting the same damn codes... WTF???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunkshus
My truck just popped two codes P2302 and P2314. The 2004 Dodge Manual has this description for both codes:
P2302-IGNITION COIL NO.1 SECONDARY CIRCUIT- INSUFFICIENT IONIZATION
When Monitored: Engine running and battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
Set Condition: If PCM detects that the secondary ignition burn time is incorrect, to short,
or not present, an error is detected. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

P2314 is on Coil No. 5.

I recently put the 8.2 mm Taylor Thundervolt Shorties on and have run them for about 3 or 4 weeks, maybe 300 miles. The plugs are the stock Champions with 23,500 miles more or less on them. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Put the stock wires back on.

The stock 5.7L coils are not designed to fire two spark plugs under compression at the same time. With the normal plug wire setup only one spark plug connected to a single coil is under compression when that coil is fired, the other spark plug connected to that coil in the paired cylinder is being fired on the exhaust stroke (waste spark) which does not place a load on that coil (very little resistance to firing.)

The Mopar crate engine that uses the shortie wires is setup with 4.7L PCM code which is a manual throttle body and a non dual waste staggered spark coil setup. The coils only fire once per combustion cycle instead of twice which gives the coils adequate time to recharge to fire both spark plugs at the same time, in the same cylinder, under compression.

On the 2006 5.7's and the 6.1L's it is very important that both spark plugs that are being fired from the same coil have the exact same gap or the plug with the smaller gap will fire and the other plug won't.

The guys that are using the 6.1L coils with the 2003-2005 5.7L engine controllers are also going to run into trouble because they will be firing the 6.1L coil twice per combustion cycle which will not allow adequate time for that coil to recover.

This is from another thread but, I thought it may help to clear up any confusion?

There is .5 degrees of stager with the stock coil and spark plug wire arrangement on the 2003-2005 Ram Hemi's, meaning that when cylinder #1 is at TDC firing, cylinder #6 coil is fired .5 degrees before cylinder #1 coil. The .5 degrees stager is nearly insignificant but, it does exist. I originally thought that the stagger was zero but, I later found out that there is .5 degrees of stager.

The reason for stock coil and spark plug wire arrangement is so that both plugs in a given cylinder could be fired at two completely different times, because they are fired from two different coils. When cylinder #1 fires for TDC compression, cylinder #6 coil is fired for TDC exhaust, so all four spark plugs are fired with two of them being fired .5 degrees earlier than the other two. This is called a staggered dual waste spark system. It was later determined that staggered spark advance was of very little benefit and it was eliminated on the 6.1L and on the 2006 5.7L.

When the shortie wires are used and both plugs in a given cylinder are fired from the same coil they are both firing against the increased cylinder pressure of compression, which in the case of the 6.1L and the 2006 5.7L's requires a larger coil in order to fire both spark plugs at the same time on the same cylinder.

Cylinder #1 and cylinder #6 coils are fired when cylinder #1 is coming up on compression but, both plugs in cylinder #1 are fired from different coils which provides a strong spark to both of the spark plugs in cylinder #1. The plug that is fired in cylinder #6 from cylinder #1 coil and the other plug in cylinder #6, that is under cylinder #6 coil, are both firing against zero cylinder pressure because they are being fired on cylinder #6's exhaust stroke (waste spark.)

I think some of the guys that are running forced induction have found that the stock spark plug wire arrangement works the best for them because it provides the most spark energy to the cylinder that is firing for the increased cylinder pressures that they run.

'05 RCSB 4x4
Hemifever tuning FTW!

#4 Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
weedahoe
Tricked out Ram

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Otter, remember I went away from the OEM setup and use 6.1 coils (same as 06-08 Rams) and so this part here I do not totally agree with.

"The guys that are using the 6.1L coils with the 2003-2005 5.7L engine controllers are also going to run into trouble because they will be firing the 6.1L coil twice per combustion cycle which will not allow adequate time for that coil to recover."

Every rare event, I will get one of these error codes. But I pay it very little attention. For the most part I have no issues. I did notice them more when I messed with my electrical wiring at my first cam. It was mainly on coils 1/3/5 but when I re-did my came i swapped them out with coils 2/4/6 and never had any more issues.

just something to think about.

2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
#5 Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
otter1363
Dump Truck

(Thread Starter)
Daler called - dead PCM...

'05 RCSB 4x4
Hemifever tuning FTW!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.