Carrier Bearing: Is it bad? Where do I get one?! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

WolfpackRAM03

Carrier Bearing: Is it bad? Where do I get one?! - Posted: 04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
City: Central VA
State: VA
Post #1

I hear this occassional squeek (not a long squeal, just individual squeeks) when I am decelerating, more typically when I am coasting or lightly braking. Originally I thought it was a dry U joint, but a mechanical took a look and said the joints appeared good but "the carrier bearing was warmer than the other bearings on your shaft". Does this signify that the part is completely bad? If it's going bad, is there any way to grease it and get a bit more life out of it before repairing (money is getting tight due to two other back-to-back electrical repairs)?

Finally, if it is the carrier bearing (even if it isn't), where in the world do you find these things? Is my only option to go to the Dodge parts shop at the dealership? I'm starting to wonder if this part just goes by a second name and I'm not searching the right thing, especially since NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance all show no results for a "carrier bearing" (even though the icon for drivetrain support parts on AutoZone's website is an image of a carrier bearing... go figure). Any and all opinions and help is appreciated!!!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ggravant

Posted: 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Serenity
City: Louisville
State: CO
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackRAM03 View Post
I hear this occassional squeek (not a long squeal, just individual squeeks) when I am decelerating, more typically when I am coasting or lightly braking. Originally I thought it was a dry U joint, but a mechanical took a look and said the joints appeared good but "the carrier bearing was warmer than the other bearings on your shaft". Does this signify that the part is completely bad? If it's going bad, is there any way to grease it and get a bit more life out of it before repairing (money is getting tight due to two other back-to-back electrical repairs)?

Finally, if it is the carrier bearing (even if it isn't), where in the world do you find these things? Is my only option to go to the Dodge parts shop at the dealership? I'm starting to wonder if this part just goes by a second name and I'm not searching the right thing, especially since NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance all show no results for a "carrier bearing" (even though the icon for drivetrain support parts on AutoZone's website is an image of a carrier bearing... go figure). Any and all opinions and help is appreciated!!!
I have attached a page from the 04 parts catalog. If he is talking about the bearing near the U joint, that is a pinion bearing (#5 in the figure). There are two carrier bearings on either side of the carrier - or differential - hence the name (#22 in the figure) and two more wheel bearings near each tire at the end of the axle (#10 in the figure). In any case, you should be able to buy the individual bearings at a dealer, or if you truck has quite a few miles on it, you could get a whole master install kit, which has the carrier and pinion bearings as well as all the other stuff you need when you replace a diff. You could then just replace it all while it is apart. Here is a link to the various install kits from Moesperformance.com:

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...th=1_1200_1203

You would not want a mini install kit - that is for fairly new trucks that just need a gear swap - no bearings included. The master install kit has all of that plus the pinion and carrier bearings, and the super install kit has all that plus axle bearings. Note that once you take everything apart you would need to have all the correct tools to put it all together (plus the skill set), so this should be left to a pro.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ram_04_parts_catalog.pdf (51.7 KB, 18 views)

Red Truck Club Member #194
287 Enthusiasts Member #130

Magnaflow #12288 3"SI,2.5" DO, 2" drop shackels [slammed1],Overload springs removed,
Rear Wheelhouse liners [makeitmopar],Monroe Reflex Shocks [Advance Auto Parts],
Motive 4.56 Gears and Auburn LSD [AIR_RAM]
Gear Install [4 Wheel Parts Denver],Jet Stream Scoop [AIR_RAM]
Westin E-Series SS Nerf Bars [Amazon.com],Silver Radio Bezel [slammed1]
Billet Grill Powder Coated Black [DT classifieds & local powdercoater],MRK silver steering wheel accents
Wheelskins Leather Steering Wheel Cover [stylinconepts.com]
Ebay rear drilled/slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Pads [DT classifieds]
Painted Calipers [Rustoleum Sunrise Red],Hurst Performance Shifter [HUU-3910155 - Jegs]
Baer Front Slotted/Drilled Rotors and Powerstop Ceramic Pads [Moe's Performance]
EZ Down Tailgate Dampener [Moe's Performance],Visor DVD Player [eBay]
Tinted Windows (25% sides, 15% rear) [D&S Window Tint - Boulder, CO]
BFG T/A KOs 287/70/17 [craigslist],17" Eagle Alloy 187s [craigslist]
ebay AEM CAI Clone painted flame red,Catch Cans mounted to CAI heat shield [summit racing]
Flex-A-Lite Extreme 180 eFan [DT classifieds],SQC 70mm Throttle Body [DT classified]

**Soon To Come**
ALI Leather or Wet Okole Neoprene Seat Covers

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

WolfpackRAM03

Posted: 04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
City: Central VA
State: VA
Post #3

This looks like what he described: a bearing that basically "holds the shaft in place" under the vehicle (bolts to the underside of the frame, I assume). This is the first vehicle I've ever had that I actually needed to know anything about the drivetrain bearings and whatnot (first truck) so let me know if there is some tidbit of info I'm not giving that would clear things up.

ggravant

Posted: 04-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Serenity
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackRAM03 View Post

This looks like what he described: a bearing that basically "holds the shaft in place" under the vehicle (bolts to the underside of the frame, I assume). This is the first vehicle I've ever had that I actually needed to know anything about the drivetrain bearings and whatnot (first truck) so let me know if there is some tidbit of info I'm not giving that would clear things up.
Ahh - OK, you must have a 2500/3500. I do not think our 1500s have those, so I can not help you much there ...

Magnaflow #12288 3"SI,2.5" DO, 2" drop shackels [slammed1],Overload springs removed,
Billet Grill Powder Coated Black [DT classifieds & local powdercoater],MRK silver steering wheel accents
Painted Calipers [Rustoleum Sunrise Red],Hurst Performance Shifter [HUU-3910155 - Jegs]
Baer Front Slotted/Drilled Rotors and Powerstop Ceramic Pads [Moe's Performance]
ebay AEM CAI Clone painted flame red,Catch Cans mounted to CAI heat shield [summit racing]
Flex-A-Lite Extreme 180 eFan [DT classifieds],SQC 70mm Throttle Body [DT classified]

**Soon To Come**

ggravant

Posted: 04-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Serenity
Post #5

In the 04 parts catalog they call it the "center bearing, drive shaft" and the part number is 5093 379AB. I checked dodgeparts.com and it is $110.00 as a reference. Not sure if you can get them at the local Napa/Autozone/Oreily auto store or not ...

**Soon To Come**

Closed Thread