Paint warranty/paint defect - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 AM
DereksRamRide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Paint warranty/paint defect

I was just curious if any of you guys have ever had to take in a vehicle for a paint defect. I took delivery of my 2010 Crew Sport last week and when I went to wash it yesterday, I noticed a piece of trash in the driver rear door under the clear coat. I don't know how I missed it. The dealer did not have me sign a walk around sheet.

You can obviously tell it is a defect and not something that has happened as its under the paint.

Just curious what kind of war with have to be waged to get it corrected.

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
BDS 6" Suspension Lift + 2" Revtek spacer
3" PA body lift
35x12.50R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's
Borla XS Muffler with stock dual exhaust.
Bakflip F1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 AM
onthetee
onthetee

That sucks. Ive never heard os signing a walk around before. The dealer was there with me when I looked over the truck. Good luck getting it fixed. Let us know what happens.
#3 Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM
cartert1975

Mine had major paint issues, as a matter of fact it's in the paint shop now as I am typing this, both driver's side doors, the rocker panel, the rear driver's quater panel and the lower passenger side sandstone portion is being repainted. Your dealer will cover it or get your regional Chrysler Rep involved.

2010 Inferno Red Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
#4 Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
DereksRamRide

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartert1975 View Post
Mine had major paint issues, as a matter of fact it's in the paint shop now as I am typing this, both driver's side doors, the rocker panel, the rear driver's quater panel and the lower passenger side sandstone portion is being repainted. Your dealer will cover it or get your regional Chrysler Rep involved.
Sorry to hear about your truck. Mine isn't bad and I could probably live with it if I had to, but after years of show quality vehicles on some of my cars/trucks I am picky.

It will probably wet sand out, and I hope it does as I don't want any repainted panels on the truck, but if they have to I guess I have no choice.

I hope my dealer works with me, I have bought my last 5 vehicles from them at one of their dealerships or another.

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
BDS 6" Suspension Lift + 2" Revtek spacer
3" PA body lift
35x12.50R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's
Borla XS Muffler with stock dual exhaust.
Bakflip F1
#5 Old 04-18-2010, 05:16 PM
cartert1975

believe me, Im not a fan of spot painting my pick-up either. I really hoping a new radio doesnt fix my other dead battery issue and Dodge will buy this truck back. Im at my wits end with my dealership and this pick up.

2010 Inferno Red Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
#6 Old 04-22-2010, 05:06 PM
DereksRamRide

(Thread Starter)
I talked to the dealer and they gave me no issue with verbally saying they are going to take care of it. They assured me it wasn't an issue and they will repaint the door. I am reluctant, but the truck stickered for 46k and a piece of trash in the paint is fairly unacceptable.

They said they had to send an estimate to Chrysler Corp and they would call me next week. I guess we'll see how it goes (fingers crossed).
#7 Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
PDJMWJ
Dodge Supporter

They will fix it I'm sure. Your paint is covered under warranty. I have a clear coat issue on my hood that is about to be fixed and it's covered according to the dealer.

I really do not want to do this but the truck is 42,950 msrp and that's not exceptable. The dealer is actually pressuring me to get it fixed. Says air got trapped under the clear coat and will eventually cause issues.

Lifes a beach and then you die.....

#8 Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Moparn4life

I currently have mine at the dealer getting paint work done. I'm have some peeling/flaking clear coat at the bottom of the drivers door fixed and the front bumper repainted due to (in my opinion) poor quality paint leading to huge paint & primer flakes after small rock chips.

2009 Ram 1500 Crew TRX4
#9 Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
PDJMWJ
Dodge Supporter

I find these threads on paint issues very scarey. I really thought that Dodge as well as the car industry overall had licked these issues for good.

My truck was purchased from another dealer so I did not get to look it over before buying. I also picked up the truck on a very bad rainy windy Sat about two hours before closing. It was getting dark and I barely saw the paint issue on the hood before we closed the deal.

I was worn out and they said not a problem to fix. If I had been looking on the lot I may have walked away from this one.

If I have read this forum more carefully than being selective on what to read I may have walked away from Ram period when I read paint issues.

I'm still love this truck but I am keeping my fingers crossed on the paint.

#10 Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 AM
hounddogg

I was with a Chrysler dealer 4 years.Saw very little paint and fit issues.Our well known body shop handled LOTS of GM and Ford paint warranty's.Not much Chrysler.I was impressed.I have been out of the business since 2001 so things might have changed.

2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.
#11 Old 04-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Brad2064

Yeah I just noticed some bubbles in the clear coat in the passenger side front fender that I am going to call about this week. I've only had it for 6 days.
#12 Old 04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
PDJMWJ
Dodge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddogg View Post
I was with a Chrysler dealer 4 years.Saw very little paint and fit issues.Our well known body shop handled LOTS of GM and Ford paint warranty's.Not much Chrysler.I was impressed.I have been out of the business since 2001 so things might have changed.
Thanks hounddogg, I should preference my statements with this is the first paint issue I have ever had with a Chrysler product and I have had 5. I like Chryslers color options the best and I've always wanted Inferno Red but kept getting the option mix on the lot I wanted which never included the color.

My dealer has not fixed it yet, scheduling issues, but was all over it when we found it. I was going to let it go as it is small but they insisted it must be fixed and I will never tell the difference.

My Ram has everything I want and I finally got Inferno Red.

Closed Thread