cant get crank position sensor out! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

twol8uluz

cant get crank position sensor out! - Posted: 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM
City: new baltimore
State: MI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

so of course the day started with the lovely check engine light coming on, which of course then struck my curiousity as to why. come to find out my crank sensor is on the fritz i guess!? (truck is still running fine) so i get the part, find out where it is (back of passenger side lower engine block, can see it through front passenger wheel well) took the bolt out, unclipped the wire harness..woo hoo this is gonna be easy....not so much!! the plastic is coroded inside the block! i tried prying, pulling, scraping, pb blaster, and no results!! and i dont wanna break it off in the block!! has anyone encountered this problem with good results? cuz for now im holding off until i know how to do it without causing much bigger problems!! thanx
8,000k H.I.D foglights
10,000k H.I.D headlights
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mtx11

Posted: 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Post #2

I replaced two on durangos and 1 on a jeep 5.2 (try that that is tight plus hey have solid fender no removable plastic. But any way there are two bolts that go down in to the block. 1/2 inch socket I think. There is also a ground wire that might get in the way. But you just pull straight up on the sensor. There is a rubber grommet that it sits in.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

qtipextra

Posted: 04-03-2010, 10:57 PM
^BIG D^
City: Idaho Falls
State: ID
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twol8uluz View Post
so of course the day started with the lovely check engine light coming on, which of course then struck my curiousity as to why. come to find out my crank sensor is on the fritz i guess!? (truck is still running fine) so i get the part, find out where it is (back of passenger side lower engine block, can see it through front passenger wheel well) took the bolt out, unclipped the wire harness..woo hoo this is gonna be easy....not so much!! the plastic is coroded inside the block! i tried prying, pulling, scraping, pb blaster, and no results!! and i dont wanna break it off in the block!! has anyone encountered this problem with good results? cuz for now im holding off until i know how to do it without causing much bigger problems!! thanx
What engine do you have? I am guessing the 4.7l based upon your description of the location. And don't you mean the Camshaft Position Sensor? I am thinking you have the wrong sensor on the block. I made the same mistake when I was swapping mine out. The one I removed first must have been the oil pressure sensor. It was lower on the block and was a PAIN to remove once the bolt was released.

The one you need (from what I gather from your post) is actually further up and further to the front of the vehicle. Its JUST below the valve cover, and its easier to pull out.

Take a good look at the new sensor that you have, particularity the head of it IIRC, and compare it to the one you are trying to get out. There was a small difference that becomes obvious once the lower (wrong) one was removed.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Interior: Double DIN Pioneer HU - 141.7 dB Sound System - Dash Mat - Blue L.E.D Interior Lighting - Blue Gauge Backlighting - Audiovox 2-Way Remote Start - 6 Gauge Cluster Swap
Exterior: Black 1 Piece DEPO headlights - 55W DDM 5000K HID 9007 BiXenon - Hella Optilux 2500 Driving lights - 55W DDM 5000K HID H3 - 3rd Brake light decal "BIG D" - Dodge Hitch/Cover - Dodge Logo on Tinted Tails - Stainless Steel Bar Grill Inserts - Gibson 4" Exhaust Tip
Performance: Dynomax Bullet Muffler - Flowmonster High Flow Catalytic Converter - Chrome Intakes CAI - Superchips 3715 at 91 Octane - NGK V-Power Plugs
Tires/Wheels/Lift: 3" PA Body Lift - 2" T/S Lift - 33 X 11.5 X 16 Firestone Destination M/T Tires - MB Gunner 6 Gun metal gray 16X8 rims
Drivetrain: Rebuilt 545RFE Trans with Transgo Shift Kit - 4.56:1 R/P Motive gears - Auburn High Performance LSD

My Truck Domain

twol8uluz

Posted: 04-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Post #4

im sorry, i have the 4.7. yeah i thought it was the right one, it looked about the same. but i did go out and check, there is one that looks just like it towards the front! how do i know the difference, and what was that i was tryin to pull out before then? the box for the part said crankshaft positioning sensor. ugh!! lol unfortunately todays easter and my better half would kill me if i was out wrenching on the truck all day....ill have to deal with it tomorrow.
8,000k H.I.D foglights
10,000k H.I.D headlights

twol8uluz

Posted: 04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Post #5

oh, and to add, ive noticed my trucks been making a "tinging" when exellarating, almost sounds like an exhaust leak....this wouldnt have anything to do with the sensor issue would it?
8,000k H.I.D foglights
10,000k H.I.D headlights

dodgefan360

Posted: 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum 2K R/T
City: Kitchener
State: ON
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twol8uluz View Post
im sorry, i have the 4.7. yeah i thought it was the right one, it looked about the same. but i did go out and check, there is one that looks just like it towards the front! how do i know the difference, and what was that i was tryin to pull out before then? the box for the part said crankshaft positioning sensor. ugh!! lol unfortunately todays easter and my better half would kill me if i was out wrenching on the truck all day....ill have to deal with it tomorrow.
I'll wrench on my vehicles all day long, and tell my other half to make me some gruel. She just brought out a grilled cheese for me. It's either I do the work, or she can drive it to a shop, pay the $100/hr. She'd rather make me a sandwich, and not complain.

You may have an exhaust leak. I read that the 4.7 manifold bolts are weak in places, and can crack or sear off(?). I ran a quick search myself and couldn't find anything...weird.

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual

twol8uluz

Posted: 04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Post #7

lol!! yeah, i might have to take it to an exhaust shop and see what they say, unfortunately. but right now its not a huge concern. as far as my crank or cam sensor, the light mysteriosly turned off without me repalcing any parts, so i think right now i might just ride it out until it comes back on or presents problems!!
8,000k H.I.D foglights
10,000k H.I.D headlights
Closed Thread