RB1 Installation into a '99 Town & Country Limited - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
UCrewX5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RB1 Installation into a '99 Town & Country Limited

I am looking for some help and guidance from the experts here. I have installed an RB1 into a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited. The good news is the radio works just fine and the unit is receiving GPS signals, displaying on the map the correct location of the vehicle.

The bad news is the nav system doesn't track properly with the vehicle when it moves. In addition, when I go to enter a destination the unit indicates that it cannot identify the current location (even though the stats on the GPS indicate that it does). The symptoms are exactly what is described in this thread - http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21301 - with the GPS map appearing to be 180 degrees off North to South and will only update the location on the map every 5 minutes or so. Also, the steering wheel controls are not functioning.

I adapted the existing wiring harness from the T&C to the RB1 using the Chrysler wiring adaptor harness, part # 82207541. The post referenced above talks about a Databus wire, but I'm not sure what that is or where it may be located on the T&C.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jeff

p.s. Although my main concern is getting the nav system functioning, does anyone know if there is a way to change the splash screen that comes up on initial boot-up from "Jeep" to "Chrysler" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Gentleman

I remembr reading that the RB! is for 2002 and later model years, but it reffered to sound problems not what you are experiencing, but there is also a function of the RB1 that uses the data bus to keep track of position when out of sight of the sat, i.e. tunnels

Bob

2004 Ram Quad 4.7 SLT Graphite
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 Black 4X2 Wifes Toy
#3 Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
As indicated above, I've got the unit in and working except for a few minor issues. Does anyone have the pinout assignments for the 22 pin cable on the RB1?
#4 Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Well, I think I have narrowed the problem with the steering wheel controls down to the fact that there is a 2-pin connector that goes into the old radio called the PCI communications buss. The conversion harness that I got from Chrysler only has one lead coming out of the connector. Thus, I think I'll need to add another lead that goes to the 22-pin harness and into the RB1.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram / schematic for the 22 pin wiring harness?
#5 Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Gentleman

The after 2002 remote switches utilizes resistors in the switches to ground, depending on which switch is pushed the different resistance values are sent to the radio via the pci bus on a single wire, the wire from the pci bus is on pin 14 of the radio harness per the fsm. I have the fsm in pdf format but I do not know how to cut and paste from adobe

Bob

#6 Old 08-26-2004, 07:34 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bob. Could you possibly email me the pdf document at ucrewx5@roadfly.org ?

Jeff
#7 Old 08-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Gentleman

Jeff
I sent you a couple of emails

Bob

#8 Old 08-26-2004, 08:55 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bob - I appreciate your help on this.

Does anyone know if the PCI signals are the same in a 1999 as the 2002 and newer vehicles?
#9 Old 08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
A big thanks to Bob for sharing with me some of the technical specs on the radio. Armed with this, I am still unclear at this point whether or not this is going to work. Here's the current situation.

The radio unit boots up properly and I am greeted with the "Jeep" splash screen (which I would like to change to Chrysler if I ever get this working):

The system then loads the navigational data and then presents the legal disclaimer, as follows:

A map screen will correctly depict where I am currently located:

and the GPS information shows that it is tracking the satelites properly:

However, when I try to save my current position or enter a new destination to navigate to I get this error screen:

I tried swaping in the spare navigation disk with no change in condition.

As mentioned above, the PCI cable that went to my original radio has two leads, versus the new style which has only one. I tried grounding the PCI lead that wasn't being converted to the new wiring harness and it caused the "ABS" warning light to come on in the dash. The same thing happened when grounding the other PCI lead.

Here's the things that I am unsure of at this point:

1. Does the RB1 require communication with the PCI bus in order to function?

2. Is the PCI bus in a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited compatible with the 2002+ PCI bus?

3. Is there a way to convert the PCI signals to a format that the RB1 will recognize and allow the unit to navigate?

I feel like I am so close, and yet so far. Any words of advise or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
#10 Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Gentleman

I have installed a few of these but only in 2002 or later model years and as far as I have seen all RB1 radios when new display the Jeep logo until the vehicle is started, once it is started the proper brand logo will appear from then on, if you take a RB1 out of a Dodge and install it in a Chrysler, turn the key on and it will say Dodge, start the vehicle and it will change to Chrysler, evidentialy there is something in the pci bus that tells the radio what band of vehice it is in. I do not understand the message you are getting in picture 4, since picture 2 & 3 show it as functioning, the screen in picture 4 is what you get when doing an install in a a garage and until the vehicle is driven a few blocks in the open

To help you with your other questions these answers are to the best of my knowledge,

1 Yes from everything I have read
2 No
3 I don't know

Bob

#11 Old 08-27-2004, 02:45 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again, Bob. I really value your help on this. Is there a technical reference manual on the RB1 that I can get my hands on?

Jeff
#12 Old 08-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Gentleman

Not that I am aware of, I work part time for a mobile installer that does work for a DC dealer that handles all lines of DC vehicles, I will ask around, but usually I am handed a box and told to install. I know the unit is made by Alpine but i did not see anything on their website, they have a toll free number I have called when I opened a box and the dvd was missing 1-866-733-5492.

Bob

#13 Old 08-27-2004, 09:05 PM
bmm

In another thread this problem was diagnosed: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...1&goto=newpost

Turned out my problem was that I had an aftermarket wiring harness attached to the oem harness. The aftermarket harness did not have a wire to the speed sensor. When I removed the harness and plugged directly to the oem harness it worked fine.

For your purposes the lesson here is to find out if your vehicle has a speed sensor wire going to the radio harness. If it does not, it can be wired but I do not have the instructions for that.

A resource that I found helpful was at http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm The web master is extremely helpful and I believe the wiring diagram is there too.

I called the Nav Software company but they were of no help, in fact they told me flat out that the RB1 would not work on my Sebring Convertible. They were wrong. Alpine and Mopar are similarly of no help as they do not even mention the unit on their websites and there is no support for it unless you call Chrysler directly and they will only support it if it was an oem install.

good luck
bmm

Last edited by bmm; 08-27-2004 at 09:18 PM.
#14 Old 08-27-2004, 09:30 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for getting back to me. From what I can gather, it looks like the problem is that the RB1 is expecting to communicate with the Body Control Module (BCM) via the PCI bus which is based on the J1850 standard, and the bus on a 1999 is based on the ISO 9141-2 standard.

So now, how can I overcome this? If I wire up a BCM from a newer module and link it to the RB1 will it be fooled enough to think all is well with the world?
#15 Old 08-28-2004, 11:25 PM
RTDurango

Buy an pioneer avic n1 it will be far less $ and headaches.
#16 Old 08-29-2004, 11:44 AM
7Triple7

You will get this error message if you are in an area that isn't a full, turn-by-turn enabled map location. You must drive to a location that the RB-1 has a full map set for. At this point, it will figure out where it is and should be able to navigate. With the new firmward (see below) you'll actually get a warning instead of the "I don't know where I am" message.

You're probably still using the old DVD disk that came with the unit, 56038642AC. There should be a coupon inside the DVD case for an updated DVD. Before you send off for your new disk ($150!!!! without the coupon) you should call the techn support number for the RB-1. Ask them for the new address to send the coupon to...it'll shave about 2 weeks off the delivery time. You'll need DVD 05064033AC. The original disk only maps about 60% of the US while the new version has around 95%. Granted...the new maps aren't all verified so turn-by-turn may not always be avaialble...but at least it includes pretty much all of the paved public highways in the US.

The first time I installed the RB1 into my Dodge Ram it said JEEP ...I almost flipped!!!! Then I cycled power and sure enough...the Dodge logo popped up.

Be careful what you do with that databus wire. Pretty much everything electronic in your vehicle ties to that bus! Newer vehicles are even more heavily integrated via this databus...just like an ARINC or 1553b on an aircraft!

2003 Dodge RAM 4x4 2500 HD SLT 5.7L Hemi 3.92
------------------------------------------------
Goodyear Wranger 285R70/17
LeBra Soft Toneau Cover
RB1 GPS Navigation Radio
6-Disc In-dash CD/DVD Changer
#17 Old 08-29-2004, 11:58 AM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for this info. After installing the unit I did drive quite a bit around metro-Detroit and into downtown Detroit and the same condition existed. The maps that are displayed show all of the streets and interstates. The RB1 has a date code of June 2004 on it, and the CD's that I have are version 05064033AA.

Based on your experience, do you think the RB1 requires communication with the bus wire in order to navigate, even when it has known coordinates from the GPS?

Jeff
#18 Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 PM
7Triple7

I don't believe the INS (Inertial Nav System) will work correctly without the vehicle speed control input....which could cause some problems with navigation. I don't understand why the GPS nav won't work when sitting still...unless it is trying to coordinate the GPS posifix with the INS, but can't get info from the speed-control. Before upgrading the firmware to the newest version, I noticed that the "drive to open area" message didn't go away when I went to a known area. I had to physically re-key all of destination information and restart the nav calc.

If you can pull off on the shoulder of a major interestate that you KNOW is in the database...try choosing a new destination from there and see if it will compute turn-by-turn.

Remember...all of your nav inputs must be conducted at speeds less than 10 mph (or at a dead-stop). I suspect that the databus wire is how the unit is getting it's, "...am I moving" input, since GPS can drift causing false velocity information, even while sitting still. Without this input...I'm kinda surprised you're getting any control of the unit at all.

LeBra Soft Toneau Cover
RB1 GPS Navigation Radio
#19 Old 08-29-2004, 12:20 PM
UCrewX5

(Thread Starter)
Out of curiousity, in what part of Ohio are you located?
#20 Old 08-29-2004, 12:24 PM
7Triple7

Dayton

LeBra Soft Toneau Cover
RB1 GPS Navigation Radio