1999 Caravan Limp Mode Help - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Lorinser925

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 Caravan Limp Mode Help

Hi folks,

New to this forum and been a long time Dodge owner.

Recently my 1999 Caravan LE went into limp mode while I was driving 45 mph. I believe that it's stuck in 2nd gear. I went to my local autozone the next day to get the codes as the Service Engine Soon light was on. These are the codes that I got: P0700 and P0755. My van has 88k miles and I had Aamco change out the transmission fluid at 80k miles.

The recession has hit me and my family very hard and I'm on a very tight budget to fix my daily driver. I still drive it locally and don't go past 40mph as the rpm is at 3k at 40mph.

What would I have to change out to fix this problem? I was thinking of buying a used Transmission Control Module. Another question is what year Caravans part will fit into my 1999? If I do pull a TCM from another Caravan - I want it to fit my 1999.

All help is appreciated. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 AM
minivanguy
Silver Member

for the limp-in problem, there are many companies making a pill to help that out ....lol

without actually using a real scanner, you will end up throwing parts at it hoping for a repair. this, in most cases, will cost more money and WAY more frustration. You need to use networking skills to come up with a quality diagnostician to properly repair your vehicle. If you were near me, I'd diagnose it for free.
if you just want a guess, throw a solenoid pack at it.
#3 Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM
derekio

or...if you want a decent guess from someone willing to take the time to help you out. And not have to be talked down to by soem people.
Look at the wiring "Y" right before the solenoid pack. I had your exact same problem, and there was a broken wire there.
I, unlike the aforementioned some people, actually read the part of your post where you said funds were low.
so I, unlike the aforementioned some people, am giving you a real world idea of a possible solution to your problem. Which, to everyone but the aforementioned some people, is what a repair/troubleshooting forum is all about.
good luck with your repair. and keep in mind, that there are other solutions other than some people yelling for you to take it to the dealer.
#4 Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Lorinser925

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I will look into the Y first thing tomorrow morning. I will let you know my results.
#5 Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Lorinser925

(Thread Starter)
Where is the solenoid pack at? I couldn't find the Y. I went to Aamco and they told me I needed a new solenoid pack for $325 +tax. If it's just the wire than maybe I can do that. I'm a total noob with transmissions. I have a appointment with Aamco on Tuesday for 8 am... If the problem is caused by a cut/loose wire - I want to do that myself.
#6 Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Rick99

Even changing the solenoid pack isn't that big of a deal if you have a few basic tools and the will. You can probably do that yourself for about $150. I doubt Aamco will tell you if it's just a wire.

To see what the pack looks like, check out post #72 on my thread below:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...t=p0740&page=4

I changed mine with the tranny out, but it can be done in about two hours or less with the tranny in place.

You can find it on your van if you just look at the top front of the tranny-- it has a big wire connector attached to it.

Post #8 in my thread above contains a link to the complete transmission diagnostic procedures manual that you can access online. If you open the manual, it has a section for each transmission code that will point you in the right direction as far as what the possible problems are (though it does reference use of various special tools, it can give you ideas about what to check even if you don't have those tools.) Note that the manual is for an '04 Neon, but it is the same transmission.

Just so you know, I'm hesitant to spend too much time going through the details of the fix here without knowing if you're likely to do it yourself or just take it to the shop. Let us know what you're willing to take on. If you want to do this yourself, I'm sure you'll get plenty of support here.

2003 Durango SLT
AWD, 4.7l
Mods: Remote Start
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l
#7 Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
mastertech

wiring is an issue with them, cut the harness open from the trans to the controler and pull on them to try to break one.
#8 Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Lorinser925

(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for giving me pointers on where to look. Sadly it wasn't the wire but the solenoid pack itself and I just got back from Aamco with a transmission working like brand new again. $319 out the door.

My last Aamco visit was 5 months and they used Dexron 3 and I had no idea about the oil type until reading the threads on here. I will change my oil ASAP. Transmission has 86k miles - should I use ATF+3 or ATF+4? And what brand would you folks recommend.

Thanks again for all your help.
#9 Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM
StandOnCliff

Use ATF4+. It doesn't really matter the brand. Being it has Dexron in it, have it power flushed by a shop and insist they use ATF4+. If they insist Dexron with an adative is the same, take your business elsewhere.
A simple fluid and filter change will not get all the Dexron out.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.