Axle nut torque spec? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Neon Talk > Dodge Neon - General Talk

Closed Thread

t1320t

Axle nut torque spec? - Posted: 03-17-2010, 02:54 PM
State: IN
Post #1

Hey guys, I'm doing wheel bearings on a 2003 RT again. Does anyone know the torque spec for the axle nut?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

minivanguy

Posted: 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Silver Member
State: OTHER
Post #2

180ftlbs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

TX_Firehawk

Posted: 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Neon Master Mechanic
City: Houston, TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

Interesting. 1st gens are 135. Seems logical tho, a lot of things are a little scaled up on 2nd gens.. disc thickness, torque rating on the trans, etc.

"Doubling down on stupid is not a particularly good idea"~Breitbart http://biggovernment.com

minivanguy

Posted: 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Silver Member
Post #4

IDK where you are getting 135. my 96 neon calls for 150.. which doesn't make much sense since the thread size and nut size is the same... even weirder is my 1988 Omni specs Hub nut at 180 also.

TX_Firehawk

Posted: 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Neon Master Mechanic
Post #5

Haynes Repair Manual 95-99 chapter 8 page 1 Clutch and Driveaxles torque specs.

"Doubling down on stupid is not a particularly good idea"~Breitbart http://biggovernment.com

minivanguy

Posted: 03-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Silver Member
Post #6

that figures. I'm using the Factory service manuals.

I quit using the cheapo reference books (haynes, chilton, etc) when 25 years ago, I was rebuilding my 904 trans and their manuals said to torque the valve body to 110ftlbs. It was pretty obvious this was a printing error. I torqued them to 110 inlbs because I have more common sense

t1320t

Posted: 03-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Post #7

Thanks guys. This car EATS wheel bearings... I've done 3 on each side and it only has 97k. 180 ft/lb looks like what I'll be using. For those of you interested, this might help out with other vehicles also

http://www.autowaresgroup.com/resour...rque_specs.pdf

minivanguy

Posted: 03-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Silver Member
Post #8

WOW, that's a lot of issue. I use to circle track race an L-body and a gen1 Neon and never had a wheel bearing problem. Just think about the loading I put on my RF. There's no way a street or even a weekend racer would load the bearing as much as I did. Use the high end Borg Warner wheel bearing From Napa and make darn sure you're pressing them in correctly.

Another option, I use for bearings, is I go to a local industrial bearing supplier and have them find a better quality bearing. This is usually cheaper than buying the same bearing from a parts store. When I rebuild the Getrag trans in my cummins d350, I got all my trans bearing from the industrial dealer. the prices saved me over $50.

t1320t

Posted: 03-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Post #9

Yeah, this car torques me off. It's only a daily driver & shouldn't be going through bearing like it does. I actually have 2 spindles for each side to decrease the down time when swapping bearings. I've used Timken in the past & have recently tried the National (Moog) bearing. An industrial bearing may be an option.

TX_Firehawk

Posted: 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Neon Master Mechanic
Post #10

This is the 1st time I have heard of someone eating bearings like that..

and MiniVan I had never compared the specs from the FSM to the Haynes.. I will start pulling the FSM out if I need torque specs and leave the Haynes for picture reference

I will ask around but I can't see how you run thru bearings like that. Do you drive it hard/ on dirt/ rough roads? Not sure what else could cause it. Are you packing them before you install? I know that is a silly question but ya know.

t1320t

Posted: 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Post #11

Yeah, this is the 1st vehicle I've ever wrenched on that has such an issue going through wheel bearings. It's just a daily driver that doesn't get driven that hard on normal paved roads. The bearing a dual sealed unit that isn't greasable. Well, I should say that it comes pre-greased.

minivanguy

Posted: 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Silver Member
Post #12

sure might be an assembly issue.

As for haynes for FSM, if you have an FSM wtf would you waste your time with the generic manual?

t1320t

Posted: 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Post #13

I thought it was an assembly issue too, but, I have 2 knuckles that I've used & I've used Moog & Timken bearing with the same results. Crap, I got frustrated with it that I had my ASE Cert buddy come over & press one in... he did it exactly the same way that I do.

minivanguy

Posted: 03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Silver Member
Post #14

Well, everything you said and done absolutely makes no sense what so ever. Are you by chance miss diagnosing? How about just getting another set of used spindles and changing again.

If I had your car in my hands I could guarantee that you wouldn't have a wheel bearing issue.

TX_Firehawk

Posted: 03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Neon Master Mechanic
Post #15

Minivan, my FSM is a PDF, Haynes is hard copy. So that is why I pick it up a little more often.

I know I know I need a hard copy FSM.

dodgeneonACR98

Posted: 03-22-2010, 02:14 AM
So whats UR excuse?
City: mannington
State: WV
Post #16

I have replaced my bearings about 3 times since I owned the car. Iv'e also put well over 140,000 on it since then. So thats probably not too bad really. Good luck getting yours straight.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...p?t=100535]God Squad member #53 [/url]

04 Neon SRT-4
98 Neon ACR-2.4 swaped with goodies

t1320t

Posted: 03-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Post #17

Man, I'm glad to hear someone else has wheel bearing issues w theirs.

TX_Firehawk

Posted: 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Neon Master Mechanic
Post #18

Ya know ACR you 2 guys are the only ones I have ever come across that had to change a wheel bearing that does not auto cross their car.

I am going to poke around, maybe I am missing something.

t1320t

Posted: 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Post #19

I should clarify some specs on the knuckles I have... I said I have 2 for each side. 2 are the factory originals that came on the car, the other 2 are OEM pieces that are (were) brand new.

TX-I'd like to hear some tech feedback re installation procedures in case I'm missing something blatantly ovbious!

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Closed Thread