Check Engine Light Flashing- Won't Run - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

App Dawg

Check Engine Light Flashing- Won't Run - Posted: 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM
City: Herforst, Germany
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I was driving yesterday when all of a sudden it starts to run rough and the check engine light comes on and dies. I was able to get it restarted but would not idle and kept dying. Checked the water and oil; all looks good. No leaks and wasn't overheating. Fortunately I had German ADAC road insurance otherwise I would have been screwed since I was in the Netherlands. The dealership can't look at it until Monday. Opinions?
Putco Chrome Door Handles
Street Scene "Black Chrome" Grill
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gold5th

Posted: 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #2

I would say do the key trick and check for codes.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI
04 Dodge Durango Limited - 5.7L Hemi - Mine - Magnaflow cat back, AirRaid CAI, Black Magic 180 E-fan(waiting to be installed), 4300K Bi-Xenon HID Headlights, 5000K HID Fog lights. SuperChips 3865. Custom Amber roof top LED wrecker light bar. 44" 24,000LM LED light bar on the roof. Body line down paint matched bed liner.
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4200K HID headlights, 3200K HID in fogs

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

App Dawg

Posted: 03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Unfortunately it's sitting in a dealers garage 1.5 hrs from my house. The manual says the light indicates emissions and/or exhaust.
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

Beach Assault

Posted: 03-07-2010, 05:09 AM
City: Chesapeake Beach MD
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

When mine did that - it was a bad coil.

Where in NL? (I spent two of the best years of my life there!)
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41

rangoneer

Posted: 03-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #5

there are dozens of possibilities. A stuck throttle plate will do as described. That will prevent it from entering limp mode also.

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!

sca

Posted: 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM
City: Streetsville, CANADA
State: ON
Post #6

good thing she is at the dealer. serious issue!

App Dawg

Posted: 03-07-2010, 02:05 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Snow World is in Landgraff, NL. Supposedly the largest indoor ski/snowboard area in Europe. The Alps (French/Swiss/Austrian/German) are a good 7 hrs drive so I go to Snow World for some quick passes. It has a 6 person chairlift and two runs 520 m long. Pretty cool in the summer when you can chill out at the outdoor beer garden and then pop inside for some skiing. The worst part of the breakdown was I actually made it to there and couldn't ski. I was going to say screw it and get a few hours in and then call the tow truck but since everything closes early I didn't want to risk it.
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by App Dawg View Post
Snow World is in Landgraff, NL. Supposedly the largest indoor ski/snowboard area in Europe. The Alps (French/Swiss/Austrian/German) are a good 7 hrs drive so I go to Snow World for some quick passes. It has a 6 person chairlift and two runs 520 m long. Pretty cool in the summer when you can chill out at the outdoor beer garden and then pop inside for some skiing. The worst part of the breakdown was I actually made it to there and couldn't ski. I was going to say screw it and get a few hours in and then call the tow truck but since everything closes early I didn't want to risk it.
Bummer man! Sucks your trip got screwed up.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

App Dawg

Posted: 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

So far they are telling me it's a cylinder thats not working; most likely a problem with the valvetrain. Since I'm in Germany things don't move that fast and either way it's going to be expensive.
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Post #10

Quote:
So far they are telling me it's a cylinder thats not working; most likely a problem with the valvetrain. Since I'm in Germany things don't move that fast and either way it's going to be expensive.
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for yah. At least there isn't a hole in the block or oil pan.

App Dawg

Posted: 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Found out more today. Some things get lost in translation. The code indicated #5 cylinder not firing. They checked all the coils, plugs and compression check; all fine and working. They emptied the gas and checked the injectors; all working. They are now swapping the throttle body out to see if that works. If not looks like the ECU (800 Euros). Apparently the internals of the engine are fine. More to come....ouch! Just glad we always keep an emergency fund set aside but boy does it suck to have to spend it on car repairs
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Post #12

Quote:
Found out more today. Some things get lost in translation. The code indicated #5 cylinder not firing. They checked all the coils, plugs and compression check; all fine and working. They emptied the gas and checked the injectors; all working. They are now swapping the throttle body out to see if that works. If not looks like the ECU (800 Euros). Apparently the internals of the engine are fine. More to come....ouch! Just glad we always keep an emergency fund set aside but boy does it suck to have to spend it on car repairs
I wonder as how they are working on the engine if you should have them install the 6.1L valve springs. JMO. Good thing you have the back up cash. I know it sucks to have to spend it on repairs though.

Gold5th

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #13

Dumb question.. hemi right? unless you have 6.1L coil packs you'd have to have 2 cylinders that fire at the same time not fire for there to be an issue.. ie coil pack.. cause stock if you loose one coil pack it'll still run, just you may notice a decrease in milage or power... worst case the ECU should notice the failed coil pack and put it into limp mode

But hmm yeah this sounds like ECU... bugger

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI
04 Dodge Durango Limited - 5.7L Hemi - Mine - Magnaflow cat back, AirRaid CAI, Black Magic 180 E-fan(waiting to be installed), 4300K Bi-Xenon HID Headlights, 5000K HID Fog lights. SuperChips 3865. Custom Amber roof top LED wrecker light bar. 44" 24,000LM LED light bar on the roof. Body line down paint matched bed liner.
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4200K HID headlights, 3200K HID in fogs

App Dawg

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Not sure I want to risk asking as the hourly rate here in Germany is euros meaning $1.37 exchange rate and the hemi is a very rare engine here. When she clean and I'm rolling the 20s I get more looks than the exotics..
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Post #15

Quote:
Not sure I want to risk asking as the hourly rate here in Germany is euros meaning $1.37 exchange rate and the hemi is a very rare engine here. When she clean and I'm rolling the 20s I get more looks than the exotics..
Cool!

You'll be back on the road showing it off soon.

sca

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Post #16

Quote:
Ups....I have misfire on #5 as well! Just random in the morning when it is cold. CEL cleares after a couple minutes

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sca View Post
Ups....I have misfire on #5 as well! Just random in the morning when it is cold. CEL cleares after a couple minutes
Your running the Sharadon heads so it's not a valve issue.

sca

Posted: 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Post #18

i know that....but a coil or injector issue possible. might just be related to the lower idle.

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sca View Post
i know that....but a coil or injector issue possible. might just be related to the lower idle.
That doesn't sound too major.

sca

Posted: 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Post #20

runs just fine when warmed up

Closed Thread