2002 Wheel Bearing/Hub Bolt Torque - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 AM
dodge_dave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 Wheel Bearing/Hub Bolt Torque

Hi

I have a 2002 RAM 1500 4X4 and the left side wheel bearing is gone. I have two questions... is it advisable to purchase one off EBay .. and what should the three bolts on the back and the axle bolt be torqued at when I reinstall.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Josh Brown

First, I imagine there are 4 bolts. Just like anything on Ebay make sure it is a reputable seller and you should be ok. I think the tq of the bolts is like 135. It is going to be a heck of a job getting it off so be prepared. Best to pull the whole spindle to have it pressed out.

06 2500 QC SB 4x4 CTD Auto Mineral Gray Big Horn.
295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Ultra Predators on stock suspension. A few performance mods.
#3 Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
dodge_dave

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply.

I just had this one changed out just over a year ago. Had it done at the dealer .... no more of that. It's a hub and bearing assembly on this right ? The whole assembly should come off with the axle bolt and the three on the back. What would need pressed out ?
#4 Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_dave View Post
Hi

I have a 2002 RAM 1500 4X4 and the left side wheel bearing is gone. I have two questions... is it advisable to purchase one off EBay .. and what should the three bolts on the back and the axle bolt be torqued at when I reinstall.

Thanks
Ebay sellers Jeep Polaris and 1sharpsa are both dodge dealers and will ship USPS to Canada. I would recommend one of them. Torque on the bolts is 120ft lbs and the half shaft nut is 185lbs. Guys have used machine shop press to remove seized parts. Ex.spindle stuck in hub bearing, or hub bearing stuck in knuckle.

2003 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7,4x4 L.B. 4.10 motive gears, auburn LSD, PML rear diff cover, 3715 super chip, airaid M.I.T. & E.A.A. dry air filter, flexalite electric fan B.M. 180 extreme with moe's fan shroud delete kit, 180* stat, JBA shorty headers, homebrew power wire, aeroforce interceptor scan gauge, sonnex line pressure booster.
#5 Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Josh Brown

I tried to get my bering hub asembly off my 2500 recently to do my ball joints and I got shut down big time. I am going to have to pay to have it done as I don't have the proper tools. I can't get the spindle off without getting the bearing off first. The 1500's have a different design so if it is seized you will be able to get the spindle off.

06 2500 QC SB 4x4 CTD Auto Mineral Gray Big Horn.
295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Ultra Predators on stock suspension. A few performance mods.
#6 Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM
mastertech

your right 3 bolts torque is as above. ill save ya some bloody knuckles, take all bolts out except rear bottom one turn that one back in 5 turnes. take a deep well that fits loosely over bolt and place it on bolt and between axle housing and turn steering wheel to left and pinch it in place, now give the steering wheel a hard crank and bearing will pop right out. dont bother with the pos factory bearing get a good after market one
#7 Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM
big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertech View Post
your right 3 bolts torque is as above. ill save ya some bloody knuckles, take all bolts out except rear bottom one turn that one back in 5 turnes. take a deep well that fits loosely over bolt and place it on bolt and between axle housing and turn steering wheel to left and pinch it in place, now give the steering wheel a hard crank and bearing will pop right out. dont bother with the pos factory bearing get a good after market one
How about some recommendations for good aftermarket brands?

2003 Ram 1500 SLT, 4.7,4x4 L.B. 4.10 motive gears, auburn LSD, PML rear diff cover, 3715 super chip, airaid M.I.T. & E.A.A. dry air filter, flexalite electric fan B.M. 180 extreme with moe's fan shroud delete kit, 180* stat, JBA shorty headers, homebrew power wire, aeroforce interceptor scan gauge, sonnex line pressure booster.
#8 Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
dodge_dave

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertech View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone. I ordered one off ebay for a third the price the dealer wanted. I'll give it a try as soon as it comes in.

mastertech .... That sounds like it might save a bunch of problems and time for me. I just don't know what you mean by "take a deep well that fits loosely over bolt and place it on bolt" sorry ...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.