4.7 timing chain change - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Truck Engine Technical Forums > 3.7L, 4.7L, 8.3L Tech

Closed Thread

RamMac1

4.7 timing chain change - Posted: 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
RamMac1
City: Pacific
State: MO
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

How hard is it to change the timing chain on a 2002 Ram 4.7L? Is there anywhere I can get good step by step instructions for this? It is my sons truck and he really can't afford to pay someone if we can do it ourselves. Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mastertech

Posted: 03-05-2010, 07:08 PM
State: WI
Post #2

its not a real tuff one
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

AIR_RAM

Posted: 03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
City: Homestead Florida
State: FL
View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #3

The timing chain on the 4.7L Is a HUGE task. You will need to remove and set to the side your AC compressor, Alternator, Power steering pump. Then you will need to remove the valve covers, front cover and oil pan. Removing the pan while installed in the truck is a PITA all by itself. There are 3 chains 4 sprockets... 2 tensioners. There is more too it then one would think.

Once in, setting the timing is actually a bit tricky but simple once you know what your doing.

This is NOT a small job. Expect to be down a couple of days if you have never done this before.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

pjd

Posted: 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
pjdhill
City: Calgary, Alberta
State: AB
Post #4

I had to do the head gaskets on my Durango 4.7 whic involves taking the timing chains off and putting them back on. Did not have to take the oil pan off - not sure why Airram - who is the #1 expert on the 4.7 - says you have to. To take the oilpan off is a major job in itself
I think there is two special tools you can't do without 1) a special tool to hold the timing chains onto the main sprocket. I don't see how you can put the chains back on without it - twist ties just don't work and 2) special tool to put the dampner back on. You can take the dampner off with a good quality 3 prong puller (Don't use the outside ring to pull it off with).
Good luck
pjd

speedy81304

Posted: 03-24-2010, 01:46 AM
City: Effort
State: PA
View This User's Garage
Post #5

there is a chain from the crank to an idler sprocket, then 2 chains from the idler sprocket to the cams, one left one right, you must drop the oil pan. to get the front chain and sprocket off the crank. when you did your head you only did half the job, on working with the three chain timing set. there is three timing marks, the idler to the crank then the cams to the idler. 75% chance its a bad auto chain adjuster that went bad and causing the chain to make noise.

you should get your self a repair book. as there is step by step on how to do it and what tools you will need.

AIR_RAM

Posted: 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #6

I have replaced many sets of heads and did not need to remove the oil pan to do so... BUT if your replacing the timing chain... You will need to do allot more then just remove a valve cover. You will need to remove the entire front cover to expose the chains. If you look close you have 3 chains and 4 sprockets. They all go to the idler sprocket in the center. So you have on crank chain that goes from the crank to the idler. Then you have two chains that go from each head down to the idler. The ONLY way to remove the lower crank sprocket is to remove the oil pump. The only way to remove the oil pump is to remove the pick up tube... the only way to remove the pick up tube is to remove the bolt that is on the bottom of the oil pump...which means you need to remove the pan to get at that one oli pick u p tube bolt.

I hope this helps.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

speedy81304

Posted: 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
City: Effort
State: PA
View This User's Garage
Post #7

it sounds harder then it is, but with out a manual, you would be lost, as there is timing marks, TQ specs, and it will make life easy to have a guid on how to do it.

AIR_RAM

Posted: 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy81304 View Post
it sounds harder then it is, but with out a manual, you would be lost, as there is timing marks, TQ specs, and it will make life easy to have a guid on how to do it.
I have a copy of the manual if anyone is interested.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

mastertech

Posted: 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
State: WI
Post #9

no need to mess with oil pan the oil pump is behind the sprocket. its not that hard of a job. here is your timing marks
Attached Images
File Type: gif 808a1e65.gif (25.6 KB, 85 views)

AIR_RAM

Posted: 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #10

You know... Now that you mention it... Your right... The pump does not need to come out. I have only done it while building the engine outside of the vehicle... so I clearly remember having to deal with the pump... Sorry for the confusion.

I can admit when I'm wrong and I was wrong. The pump does not need to come out... BUT the front cover does need to come off. I just went a step further then you had to go...

SPEED SAFE, NICK