Front Sway Bar - On or Off - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - 4X4 Talk

View Poll Results: Do You Run A Front Sway Bar?
Yes, I run a front sway bar. 134 75.28%
No, I do not run a front sway bar. 44 24.72%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

07MegaCabRam

Front Sway Bar - On or Off - Posted: 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
::Mike::
City: Chandler
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

I for the longest time ran a front sway bar and just this weekend I took it off. I really REALLY like the ride difference. It is MUCH softer of a ride and seems to be more of a true "IFS".. It does have a little of a body roll but its not that bad.

So, do you run a front sway bar?

::2007 Dodge Ram MegaCab 4x4 5.7L Hemi::
Factory 4th Gen 17x8 Wheels, 35" Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, KC 5" Apollo Lights in Factory Fog Light Location. Flowmaster Original 40 Series Muffler,
Painted B Pillars, Kenwood Sound System. Defender-PRO Spray in Bedliner I sprayed myself, TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau Cover, 15% Window Tint applied by myself, Superchips FlashPaq 3842,
Carli Progressive 3" coils and Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. Updated 08+ Steering and Carli Steering Stabilizer 7100. 1.5" blocks in the rear. Carli Adjustable Trackbar.
Jimmi Jammer Door locks installed in all 4 doors. Kenwood DNX5120 head unit with 2 Kenwood 10"s, Kenwood 5 channel amp and Kenwood Components in all 4 doors.

RIP MOPAR FAN (Al - July 22, 1946 - April 05, 2014) DodgeTalk Long Time Family Member/Moderator

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RB24

Posted: 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
2010 SRT8 Challenger
City: Liberty Twp
State: OH
Post #2

interested to hear the opinions

jimbobway69

Posted: 02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
~TYLER~
City: Blind River
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

as of right now i do, unless someone can convince me not too???

Rims&Tires
37x12.50r17 Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ
17x9 Ultra Rims

LIFT for a total of 12"
-6" rcx suspension lift
-Kicker Bars
-3" Performance Accesseries Body lift
-Bilstein 5100's cranked
-Heavy Duty Springs
-TopGun Customs Rear Adjustable Lift Shackles 2"
-Skyjacker rear shocks
EXTERIOR
-N-Fab RSP Full Replacement Bumper With Zone Offroad Bumper Brackets-4 Hella 700 Series Lights With Eurolite Bulbs
-Bush Wacker Pocket Style Fender Flares-Pacer Clear Roof Lights With Pure 360* LED 194 Bulbs In White-Paramount full replacement grill-Dupli-Color Bed Linned Fender Flares, Rockers, Front And Back Bumpers And Grill-Tinted Tails and Third Brake Light-Tinted windows, Top And Bottom Tint On Windshield-
-IPCW Black Halo Projector Headlights, Eurolite Bulbs In Reverse, Cargo, and license Plate lights-Street Glo Pro Strobe Kit Front Headlights And Rear Reverse Lights-ACCESS Low Pro Tonneau Cover System-Mopar Rear Inner Fender Linners
INTERIOR
-Auto Meter Triple Piller Mount Gauge Pod-Pro Sport Gauges Air/Fuel, Voltage, and Tranny Temp-Next And Browning Camo Seat Covers-Camo Floor Mats Front and Back-Led Rocker Switch's Hidden In Dash-Animal House Speaker
AUDIO
-Alpine Cda-001X Multimedia Deck With Intergrated Ipod And Sirius
-Alpine M850 And M400 Amps-2 12" Alpine Type R's
-Custom Made Center Console For 2 12's Under Plexi -Alpine Type R 6x9's In The Front Doors -Energy 5.25 Component Set In The Back Doors
-3 Clarion 4" 2 Ways In The Front Dash -American Legacy Capacitor
-Big 3 Done With 4 Gauge Power Cable
UNDERHOOD/PERFORMANCE
-Custom Made 4" Airraid Intake-AEM 6x9 Dry Flo Filter-k & N Pre Filter
-Diablo Trinity T-1000
-Pacesetter Long Tubes-Dual 3" Cutouts-No Cats
-Pacesetter Y Pipe-Dynomax Y-Back Dual Exhaust
-Magnaflow Straight Through SIDO Muffler-3.5" Matte Black Painted Tips
-2nd Battery Tray Out Of 3/4 Ton
-Dual Batteries NAPA DT34/78-7 and NAPA Deep Cycle 27RVS
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

norms hemi ram

Posted: 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM
norms hemi ram
City: sc
State: SC
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

im about to take mine off
37" swamper m-16s
12" memphis sub
uws toolbox
rhino lined bed

jimbobway69

Posted: 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
~TYLER~
City: Blind River
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

why are you going to take yours off, i'm hopping someone is going to explain why they want to take it off...

Rims&Tires
37x12.50r17 Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ
17x9 Ultra Rims

LIFT for a total of 12"
-6" rcx suspension lift
-Kicker Bars
-3" Performance Accesseries Body lift
-Bilstein 5100's cranked
-Heavy Duty Springs
-TopGun Customs Rear Adjustable Lift Shackles 2"
-Skyjacker rear shocks
EXTERIOR
-N-Fab RSP Full Replacement Bumper With Zone Offroad Bumper Brackets-4 Hella 700 Series Lights With Eurolite Bulbs
-Bush Wacker Pocket Style Fender Flares-Pacer Clear Roof Lights With Pure 360* LED 194 Bulbs In White-Paramount full replacement grill-Dupli-Color Bed Linned Fender Flares, Rockers, Front And Back Bumpers And Grill-Tinted Tails and Third Brake Light-Tinted windows, Top And Bottom Tint On Windshield-
-IPCW Black Halo Projector Headlights, Eurolite Bulbs In Reverse, Cargo, and license Plate lights-Street Glo Pro Strobe Kit Front Headlights And Rear Reverse Lights-ACCESS Low Pro Tonneau Cover System-Mopar Rear Inner Fender Linners
INTERIOR
-Auto Meter Triple Piller Mount Gauge Pod-Pro Sport Gauges Air/Fuel, Voltage, and Tranny Temp-Next And Browning Camo Seat Covers-Camo Floor Mats Front and Back-Led Rocker Switch's Hidden In Dash-Animal House Speaker
AUDIO
-Alpine Cda-001X Multimedia Deck With Intergrated Ipod And Sirius
-Alpine M850 And M400 Amps-2 12" Alpine Type R's
-Custom Made Center Console For 2 12's Under Plexi -Alpine Type R 6x9's In The Front Doors -Energy 5.25 Component Set In The Back Doors
-3 Clarion 4" 2 Ways In The Front Dash -American Legacy Capacitor
-Big 3 Done With 4 Gauge Power Cable
UNDERHOOD/PERFORMANCE
-Custom Made 4" Airraid Intake-AEM 6x9 Dry Flo Filter-k & N Pre Filter
-Diablo Trinity T-1000
-Pacesetter Long Tubes-Dual 3" Cutouts-No Cats
-Pacesetter Y Pipe-Dynomax Y-Back Dual Exhaust
-Magnaflow Straight Through SIDO Muffler-3.5" Matte Black Painted Tips
-2nd Battery Tray Out Of 3/4 Ton
-Dual Batteries NAPA DT34/78-7 and NAPA Deep Cycle 27RVS

TXJ

Posted: 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobway69 View Post
why are you going to take yours off, i'm hopping someone is going to explain why they want to take it off...
I'm guessing for more articulation...

Subscribed... wanna here more opinions as well.

PWDurangoFam

Posted: 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM
City: Phoenix, Arizona
Post #7

Something is wrong with your poll. It will only let me select yes or no, not the appropriate both. Aren't Power Wagons great!

In all seriousness, it is amazing how much difference it makes. I used to have end link disconnects on previous vehicles or just disconnected them while off-road. It is so much easier just flipping a switch. Besides the increased articulation and smoother ride, it also makes it much easier for the truck to climb. Awhile back I started up an off camber ramp with the sway bar connected and then backed up and went up with the sway bar disconnected. With it disconnected, as expected, I was able to go farther up and the truck was much more level. What surprised me is how much easier it went up with the sway bar disconnected. I did not need nearly as much throttle as I did with the sway bar connected.

norms hemi ram

Posted: 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
norms hemi ram
City: sc
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

bc they are crap and i live on the edge
37" swamper m-16s
12" memphis sub
uws toolbox
rhino lined bed

07MegaCabRam

Posted: 02-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Post #9

Silly powerwagons! I wish I had that.

Ok! I took mine off and immeditaly felt the difference backing out of my driveway. While the HOLY CRAP factory of body roll was my first thing I noticed while driving down the street rocking the wheel left and right.. the ride was amazingly softer and smoother. Its like I performance struts on now.

This is a super easy thing to test. Just take the top end links off your sway bar, drive it around the 'hood and see how it feels. If you like it, remove it.. simple 6 more bolts from there.. If not, reconnect it.

It is staying off of mine just because of the ride. There is a street near my work that is just beat to hell. Today, I took it and it felt SMOOTH! I was hooked right then and there..

Factory 4th Gen 17x8 Wheels, 35" Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, KC 5" Apollo Lights in Factory Fog Light Location. Flowmaster Original 40 Series Muffler,
Painted B Pillars, Kenwood Sound System. Defender-PRO Spray in Bedliner I sprayed myself, TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau Cover, 15% Window Tint applied by myself, Superchips FlashPaq 3842,
Carli Progressive 3" coils and Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners. Updated 08+ Steering and Carli Steering Stabilizer 7100. 1.5" blocks in the rear. Carli Adjustable Trackbar.
Jimmi Jammer Door locks installed in all 4 doors. Kenwood DNX5120 head unit with 2 Kenwood 10"s, Kenwood 5 channel amp and Kenwood Components in all 4 doors.

RIP MOPAR FAN (Al - July 22, 1946 - April 05, 2014) DodgeTalk Long Time Family Member/Moderator

Devster

Posted: 02-24-2010, 08:30 PM
MOPAR OR NO CAR
City: HOMESTEAD , FL
View This User's Garage
Post #10

Could you just disconnect one side?

2006 Ram 1500 4x4 Thunder Road 5.7 Hemi SLT
SuperChips Flashpaq #3815 Air Ram Power Wire
AMP Research Power Steps
Alpine Audio System / Sirus Sub box with 2-10" Rockford Fosgates Clarion Door speakers
Alpine Amp for the doors
Power Acoustic sub amp
AutoMate GPS tracking alarm system
Air Lift Bags and Smart Air Leveling System

angusdevil

Posted: 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM
They call me Radio
City: Tempe
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devster View Post
Could you just disconnect one side?
You could but then you'd have a a lot of pent up weight floping around on your truck.... not smart.

No sway bar is great, I rocked in on my 1500 and am doing the same on my 2500. If you offroad, I believe its a must, no reason to hold your axle/IFS from doing its job. Now if I'm going to be towing, you bet your ass its going back on.... body roll transmits right to the hitch and flipping a trailer is never fun.

JRH29927

Posted: 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Hearing this i think i am seriously going to take mine off, my ride quality sucks, and my enlinks are busted so they clunk like hell when i hit bumps. Just have to slow it down a bit when i hit sharp turns i guess.
Trucks and Guns Club Member #121
Mods so far:

Performance: not much Superchips 3865, Mopar Knock Off CAI, DIY Power Wire. Jegs 180* t-stat
Suspension: 2" TGC Level, Bilstein HD's
Exterior: Moto Metal 951's, Kumho M/T 315/70r17, Debadged, Hella 500's up front, Aux lights in rear, Front air dam delete, Smittybilt nerf bars
Sound/Interior: Alpine HU w/Alpine Type S and Kicker something or others in the back, RF 400:4 amp. Center jump set out of SLT upgrade!!!

BossMaverick

Posted: 02-25-2010, 04:56 AM
State: MT
Post #13

How bad does on road handling degrade with taking off the bar? Say if you could take a curve at 65 mph with the bar, how much would you have to slow down without the bar?

I would be more inclined to experiment but my wife sometimes takes the truck to town and I'd hate to have her roll from a lack of a sway bar. I'd drive fine without it but she is more of hit the gas and fly type of person. I might try taking it off in the summer when I do more off roading.

Last edited by BossMaverick : 02-25-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Typo

crash1369

Posted: 02-25-2010, 05:31 AM
我愛貓
City: Tobyharlem
State: PA
Post #14

I have mine on two... but I just hit a button and it's disconnected also

Night and ****ing day difference, with it on or off it's like two totally different trucks over the crappy roads out here. It rides fairly smooth anyway all things considered, but if I disconnect it, it actually feels like the road is flat. Smooth, flat roads in PA
Unfortunately though it automatically reconnects at 20mph so I can't really comment on cornering or anything but I would just say keep in mind that you don't have one, drive accordingly and you'll be fine. Like angus said if you put any significant weight in the truck just hook it back up.

"At no point during your rambling, incoherent response did you ever come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

'04DMR1500

Posted: 02-25-2010, 07:36 AM
The White Collar Redneck
State: CT
View This User's Garage
Post #15

I do mostly highway driving, so mine is staying on. In fact, I just made some of the most amazing sway bar end links ever... My truck only has 30K on it, and the OEM pieces were already crapped out. I built my replacements for less than the cost of OEM replacements, and they'll probably outlive the truck.

I will say, though, that my truck rides pretty harsh; I think it may be that the shocks are too short, which I'm going to take care of.

I'm planning on adding a rear sway bar to my truck in the next few weeks as well. I'm going to use either the front bar from a fox body mustang, or an aftermarket rear bar from a G body Monte Carlo. I've mocked both of them, and get get them both to fit with relative ease. I have to build my own mounts, but I don't like the aftermarket mounts anyway.

287 Enthusiast Club Member #190
Red Truck Club Member #335

1987 Ford Crown Vic 2 dr:
*302/ AOD/ 3.73s for now
Something you've probably never seen before. Street sleeper in the making... Windsor stroker on deck.

2012 Mustang GT/CS:
*5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.55s
Race Red, Kook's, JLT, MGW, Hawk, UPR, BMR, Nitto, DEZ Racing.

07MegaCabRam

Posted: 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Post #16

There is no problem taking the highway at 75. I do it and even in curves I do not feel that much of a difference. The difference I felt was rocking the truck hard left to right. More of a roll.

Every day driving.. it's like a smooooooth caddy on the road.

If you do alot of highway driving - or just street driving, and you want a nice softer ride. Try it.

If you run a front one and you are going to think about running a rear sway.. yikes! I hope you never have to take it off road! Even on road, its gonna ride very harsh.

07MegaCabRam

Posted: 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04DMR1500 View Post
I do mostly highway driving, so mine is staying on. In fact, I just made some of the most amazing sway bar end links ever... My truck only has 30K on it, and the OEM pieces were already crapped out. I built my replacements for less than the cost of OEM replacements, and they'll probably outlive the truck.

I will say, though, that my truck rides pretty harsh; I think it may be that the shocks are too short, which I'm going to take care of.

I'm planning on adding a rear sway bar to my truck in the next few weeks as well. I'm going to use either the front bar from a fox body mustang, or an aftermarket rear bar from a G body Monte Carlo. I've mocked both of them, and get get them both to fit with relative ease. I have to build my own mounts, but I don't like the aftermarket mounts anyway.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on running a rear sway bar? Why do you want to do this I should ask?

RubberFrog

Posted: 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
Post #18

If you live somewhere flat, like out west, you can get away with it. I can't even imagine driving in Pennsylvania or Shenandoah (2 places I visit regularly) with my swaybar disconnected.
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

RubberFrog

Posted: 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
City: Vienna
State: VA
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06QuadRam View Post
Just wondering what your thoughts are on running a rear sway bar? Why do you want to do this I should ask?
Same reason to run one on the front- better handling. SOme people interpret a cushy floating ride as better handling. Others interpret better handling as the ability to take corners at a higher speed.
Tuning & Monitoring: SuperChimps, Aeroforce Interceptor w/ afr
Suspension & Tires:
Lift: 6" Suspension, 3" Body Lift - Wheels: Custom Painted BMF S.O.T.A.s, 37" Trail Grapplers, Mopar Wheel Well Liners
Appearance:
Bed: Leer 100XQ Shell, Line-x XTRA, Defender Roof Rack - Other: SRT Hood, Bushwacker Pocket Flares,Tow Mirrors, Nerf Bars, 2500 Tow Hooks, Shorty Antenna, Tactical Grill
AV:
Tunes: Kenwood DDX512, Infinity Reference Speakers, Kicker 10" Sub, Kicker 400.1 Amp, FoxBox - Video: 10.4" TFT-LCD Flip-down Overhead Monitor, R Cam, Chuck Norris Kicked My Ass
Lighting:
Led Tails, Smoked Cab Lights, 4x VisionX 180w, Hella 500's

07MegaCabRam

Posted: 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Post #20

I see alot of threads on here on how to soften the ride up. Well, this is one of the ways. But adding a sway in the rear is just making it ride on rails. Just very uncharacteristic of a 4x4.

So, again, another region thing where here out west we don't need them... but other parts need them?