Dexcool Antifreeze/coolant in D??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
04Durango47L40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dexcool Antifreeze/coolant in D???

So when my D was in the shop last the mechanice told me and showed me that orange crap called Dexcool Antifreeze. I thought GM was the only one that used Dexcool? Im not a big fan of it because it hard to find, expensive and just a big pain in my ass! Also the mechaic told me Dexcool has a tendency to build up a wax, so im not happy that junk is in my D! Has anyone else heard of this???

2004 Durango ST 4.7L AWD

Mods; Window tint, TB lift, Straight Pipe Exaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Gold5th

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We us other stuff.. Dex cool is the chev stuff... Umm it's an organic coolant.. second while I find the name... it's HOAT.. I found this blurb:

Quote:
It is best to use the Mopar coolant because although the GM/Havoline Dex-Cool orange coolant is very similar, it is not identical. Both the Mopar long-life orange and the Dex-Cool are Ethylene Glycol coolants with an Organic additive package, but the Mopar stuff sneaks in one inorganic aditive as well: silicates. Chrysler engineers think that the Mopar stuff is better than the Dex-Cool or its equivalents. What else would you expect them to say... Be sure to mix the coolant 50/50 with soft water. We were told when the Mopar long life was introduced back in '97 that the additives do not work well with hard water. It's best to use deionized or distilled water.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI, Bullydog GT for Hemi
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4300K HID, 3200K HID in fogs

#3 Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
KC_Metal
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
We us other stuff.. Dex cool is the chev stuff... Umm it's an organic coolant.. second while I find the name... it's HOAT.. I found this blurb:
I used the HOAT coolant by Prestone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prestoneAntiCool3.jpg (86.6 KB, 8 views)

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

#4 Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
rangoneer
Power Aficionado

I posted this in another thread a year or so back. This is what chrysler says. Still correct...boring, but correct.

CAUTION: Use of Propylene-Glycol based coolants is not recommended, as they provide less freeze protection and less corrosion protection.

The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37C (-35F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT) may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

COOLANT PERFORMANCE
The required ethylene-glycol and water mixture depends upon climate and vehicle operating conditions. The coolant performance of various mixtures follows:

Pure Water- Water can absorb more heat than a mixture of water and ethylene-glycol. This is for purpose of heat transfer only. Water also freezes at a higher temperature and allows corrosion.

100 percent Ethylene-Glycol - The corrosion inhibiting additives in ethylene-glycol need the presence of water to dissolve. Without water, additives form deposits in system. These act as insulation causing temperature to rise to as high as 149C (300F). This temperature is hot enough to melt plastic. The increased temperature can result in sever engine damage. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at -22C (-8F).

50/50 Ethylene-Glycol and Water - Is the recommended mixture, it provides protection against freezing to -37C (-34F). The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation. Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7C (-90F). A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat because specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

CAUTION: Richer antifreeze mixtures cannot be measured with normal field equipment and can cause problems associated with 100 percent ethylene-glycol.

05 LTD Black HEMI ...loaded with the basics

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!
#5 Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM
KC_Metal

I'm getting Mopar Hoat from the dealer next time.

#6 Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
AK1
What! Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Metal View Post
I used the HOAT coolant by Prestone.
I just use the Mopar stuff. For the price difference & the change interval, I'm not taking any chances.

BLACK '04 Durango LTD

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102
#7 Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
KC_Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
I just use the Mopar stuff. For the price difference & the change interval, I'm not taking any chances.
That's what I'm thinking.

#8 Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Gold5th

I bought some mopar stuff, mixed it nice 50/50.. I intended to use it for when I have to drain some for installing the e-fan, but so far it's been going in the wife's car(hers uses the same stuff) where the upper rad hose goes into the motor has a leak, and it would be a simple fix, but I need to remove the throttle body, intake manifold, and who knows what else to get to it.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI, Bullydog GT for Hemi
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4300K HID, 3200K HID in fogs

#9 Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
KC_Metal

Quote:
I bought some mopar stuff, mixed it nice 50/50.. I intended to use it for when I have to drain some for installing the e-fan, but so far it's been going in the wife's car(hers uses the same stuff) where the upper rad hose goes into the motor has a leak, and it would be a simple fix, but I need to remove the throttle body, intake manifold, and who knows what else to get to it.
So it's a PITA.

#10 Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Gold5th

yup.. her car had a new long block dropped in @ 64K KM due to piston slap (It's just shy of 100K Km now, not bad for an 02 bought fall 01) we noticed small issues since, like they forgot to put the nut on the bolt that keep the alt from moving and thus keeping the v belt tight. I think this might be related, probably used rtv instead of a gasket... it's a slow leak and only seems to leak if she lets her car idle for long periods of time..

#11 Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
KC_Metal

Quote:
yup.. her car had a new long block dropped in @ 64K KM due to piston slap (It's just shy of 100K Km now, not bad for an 02 bought fall 01) we noticed small issues since, like they forgot to put the nut on the bolt that keep the alt from moving and thus keeping the v belt tight. I think this might be related, probably used rtv instead of a gasket... it's a slow leak and only seems to leak if she lets her car idle for long periods of time..
Who installed the new engine at 64K?

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.