Ball Joint grease - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Tire/Wheel/Susp Talk

Closed Thread

psalicrup

Ball Joint grease - Posted: 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Hi Everybody,

I am "kind of" new to this forum (I always read it, never post) and have a question about a rattle my 2006 Durango has. The front part of the Durango sounds very bad and sometimes feels like it's going to fall apart.

I took it to the dealer to get it checked but they wanted me to leave it overnight for a check and I couldn't do that so went to... Pep Boys... bad idea. They told me I need to replace the link bar, lower ball joints and shocks. They also quoted me $1300 for the whole thing.

First of all, I checked rockauto.com for exactly the same parts that Pep Boys quoted me about $900 and got them all for $200 minus the shocks because I don't think they need replacement (The shocks were only like $90 total).

But then I decided to read the forum and found out about the sway bar bushings wearing down so I went today to Autozone and bought the Moog bushing and while I was asking a friend of mine to lend me his towers to be able to lift the truck he mentioned to me that some ball joints can be greased and this reminded me that sometimes when I took the D in for oil and filter change they would offer me to grease the front axel, I really don't know what they greased but since my warranty ended last year I haven't done that maintenance.

I was wondering, can the ball joints in the 06 D be greased? It doesn't seem like it. I would like to know this because if it's true I'll try taking it to the dealer and having it greased to see if that fixes it. If not Ill try replacing the sway bar bushings, if that doesnt work then ill replace the link bar and lower ball joint.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Pedro
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sca

Posted: 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
City: Streetsville, CANADA
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #2

dont think ours are greaseable...

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

psalicrup

Posted: 02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Post #3

So im wondering what they "greased" then

ISmellAHemi04

Posted: 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

You can grease the ball joints you just need to use a grease needle to do it because they are sealed and dont have fittings. You can buy a needle at any auto store, they cost about 2 dollars. All you do is press the needle into the rubber boot and grease them that way, don't overfill them or you'll break the seal. Just grease them until the boot has a slight bulge in and feels firm and when you remove the needle it leaves a very tiny hole that won't do any harm. If you have good eyes and alot of light I usually pump the grease gun 6-8 times and then remove the needle, if grease starts coming back out the hole you have enough grease, if not try and stick the needle back in the same hole and grease a little more until you see grease force it's way out of the hole when you remove the needle.
<font face=Arial Black><font size=3><font color=Red><p align=center>2005 Durango 5.7 Limited-Flame Red-AWD-3.92 Gears-Tow Package-Chrome Gas Cap-Chrome Handles-Chrome Bugflector-Chrome Mirror Covers-Mesh Grille-6000K HID Headlights/Fogs-Tints All Around-K&N Cold Air Intake-Roof Rack-LED Interior Lights-HEMI Side Badges-265/65/17 Goodyear Wranglers</p></font></font></font>

psalicrup

Posted: 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Excellent news! They charged me like $130 for doing that.

I just checked and I can get the grease gun and needle for about $20. No idea how much the grease would cost though :/

psalicrup

Posted: 02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Post #6

Do I need to raise my D for this or can I do it while its on the ground? I think I need to do so if I want to do the upper one though

ISmellAHemi04

Posted: 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

You can do it on the ground, its alot easier off the ground though. While you're under there do you tie rods and sway bar links too. For the upper ball joint keep it on the ground and turn your wheels whichever way give you better access to the ball joint.
<font face=Arial Black><font size=3><font color=Red><p align=center>2005 Durango 5.7 Limited-Flame Red-AWD-3.92 Gears-Tow Package-Chrome Gas Cap-Chrome Handles-Chrome Bugflector-Chrome Mirror Covers-Mesh Grille-6000K HID Headlights/Fogs-Tints All Around-K&N Cold Air Intake-Roof Rack-LED Interior Lights-HEMI Side Badges-265/65/17 Goodyear Wranglers</p></font></font></font>

psalicrup

Posted: 02-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Post #8

Thanks ISmellAHemi04!

I read in a forum post somewhere else that I shouldn't grease them with the needle because then grease would start leaking out through the hole the needle makes.

Have you experienced this? Do you "close" the hole with something?

psalicrup

Posted: 02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Post #9

Update... did the grease, got kind of messy since I don't know how to use a grease gun BUT I am happy to report that I have noticed a HUGE difference in rattle. It's not completely gone but I would say it's like 90% gone so this buys me time to buy new parts WHICH ARE GREASEABLE.

Thanks for the help!

CAP LOCK KID

Posted: 02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
City: S. Ontario
Post #10

Excellent news! Enjoy the ride.

I will consider this too once the weather warms up.

2013 RAM 1500 QC SPORT 4x4 - Mineral Grey Metallic - HEMI®
w/ BT Catch Can, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Mopar Hard Cover, Line-X'd Bed, 30% Tint & 15% SS, AVS Vent Visors, Weather-tech's

2010 RAM 1500 QC SPORT 4x4 - Mineral Grey Metallic (SOLD @73,780km)
2004 DURANGO SLT - Flame Red 4.7L V8 Magnum (SOLD @210,800km)

AK1

Posted: 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM
What! Me Worry?
City: Stoney Creek
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalicrup View Post
Thanks ISmellAHemi04!

I read in a forum post somewhere else that I shouldn't grease them with the needle because then grease would start leaking out through the hole the needle makes.

Have you experienced this? Do you "close" the hole with something?
It's not a big deal. I've done this on many vehicles. You don't lose enough to worry.

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102

Beach Assault

Posted: 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
City: Chesapeake Beach MD
Post #12

If the shocks are original with over 50K miles on them - they are shot.

When you replace them with either Bilstien or Rancho - you won't believe the improvement.

Really.
Roof Carrier for 20" Spare
Removed Front Spoiler
Tinted Front Windows
Blackened Tail Lights
Removed 'mini' Spare
SmittyBilt Grill Guard
Blacked out the grill
1 1/2" Torsion Lift
Westin Sidebars
PVC Ghetto SRI

Red Brake Calipers
Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads

OEM Mudflaps

DodgeTalk.com Durango Club Member #41

KC_Metal

Posted: 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Assault View Post
If the shocks are original with over 50K miles on them - they are shot.

When you replace them with either Bilstien or Rancho - you won't believe the improvement.

Really.
I can't wait to get them as I'm closing in on 50k. Still rides awesome though as I take great care of the D so don't know if I'll need them at 5ok or not.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

psalicrup

Posted: 03-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Post #14

Im at 40k now. If I keep my D when I move to Maryland I'll put the Bilstein's on it and get all the greaseable parts too.

Thanks everybody for your help!

KC_Metal

Posted: 03-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalicrup View Post
Im at 40k now. If I keep my D when I move to Maryland I'll put the Bilstein's on it and get all the greaseable parts too.

Thanks everybody for your help!
Sounds like a plan.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

Closed Thread