DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

T/S Lift 1st Gen Durango

21K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  MacGyver_esq 
#1 ·
Hello Guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to Car Mod's.
I have a 2002 Durango SLT 4.7L 4wd completely stock,
I would like to begin tricking it out a bit.
I've been looking into doing a medium lift but can not seem to
find a kit for my car, what kits are you guys using?
I've seen talk about reindexted keys, where can I get these for my year Durango?

thanks for any and all help

#2 ·
Here's a how-to on the T/S lift, which is a cheap 2" lift:
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44757

Re-indexed keys give 1" of lift, and can be used with the t/s lift to achieve 3" total on the front. When using re-indexed keys, you would need to get another inch in the rear, most people use an AAL (add-a-leaf).

Then there is a 3" body lift made by Performance Accessories, that will provide 3" body lift, and can be used in addition to the t/s and re-indexed keys for a possible 6" total lift as well.

Then there is a Ranch 3" suspension lift (no longer in production), that can be used in addition to all listed, essentially getting you 9" in the front. Do an axle flip in the rear to level it out.

Depends on how much lift you want, and how much money you have to spend.

#4 ·
try ebay...
and don't forget to get shackles for the rear.

#7 · (Edited)
#6 ·
the keys are made specifically for "durangos, and dakotas".
check ebay and you'll see that they are compatible.

#8 · (Edited)
You guys are cool!

Thank you again for your "noob patience".
It's embarrassing being so unknowledgeable.

This is getting fun. :)

Man, glad I got my new tires before this weeks rains, we're gettin' hammered out here! (for So. Cal.)

265/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's

They're rubbin a little on tight turns but I think a slight torsion lift will take care of that.
would I be better off with tightening up my keys or putting a reindexed key and keeping it low on that key?
my OEM keys are currently on a midway setting.

#13 ·
They're rubbin a little on tight turns but I think a slight torsion lift will take care of that.
would I be better off with tightening up my keys or putting a reindexed key and keeping it low on that key?
my OEM keys are currently on a midway setting.

Where are your tires rubbing now. On the body, or on the frame? Just to let you know, when you turn up the torsion bars to lift the front, the wheels will move in toward the frame proportionally. You will gain some body clearance, but loose some tire to frame clearance. It is minimal, but something to watch out for. This is FYI, and not to discourage you. I think the 4X4 Durangos look like they should, after the TS lift.

#9 · (Edited)
The torsion lift itself will give you about 2" safely, the torsion lift with the re-indexed keys will give you about 3" total safely, so its up to you and what you need/want in a lift.

#10 ·
Thanks Big D, when the rain lets up here (a day or two), I'll start on the Torsion Lift, I ordered some Shackles that should be here in the next day or two also. :)

I really appreciate the help you guys are offering.

I can't believe how difficult it is to find the parts for a Durango, everywhere I go, the people say "um, the companies we get are parts from don't offer anything for a durango"

#11 ·
You don't have to install re indexed keys what I did along with many others is crank the torsion bars up if you turn each side roughly 7 times it will give u a lifted front level with the rear, after u install the rear shackles. I did this to my D and it was simple and real easy. The results look great!

#14 ·
you don't have to get keys...
but if you want 3" you do.

#12 ·
Welcome to the world of modding your D....It is a lot of fun and your only getting started...Pretty much everyone on this site is easy going and every helpful....The only dumb ? you have is the one you dont ask....and once you ask...we only give you choices...from there..its up to you.....looking forward to seeing some pics soon!!

#15 ·
The rubbing is currently at the front of the wheels when they turn, it just touches where the bumper connects to the inner fender cowling, I've looked at it a bit and think I might be able to move the bumper forward slightly if I shim where it connects to the brackets?

#16 ·
This is interesting, I got the WC Shackles Part #2001 and the difference in holes are 2"-3" from my stock shackels which are 3.5" in length from center hole to center hole, I've read that this part would be 1"-2" difference. I'm glad I put it in the first setting tomorrow I'm going to work on the Torsion Bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.