Caravan P0700, P0740 Codes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

Nathan Rose

Caravan P0700, P0740 Codes - Posted: 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Post #1

2001 Caravan with 110k. Got a Check engine light last week and did the key trick to get a P0700 code. Took it into dealer and they said my silinoid pack was leaking, had a transmission leak, needed a new Valve cover gasket, and I needed to flush my power steering. They said the silinoid was the reason for my Check Engine light and I might as well get the other things fixed. After $1136 I picked up my van and the next day the light came back on. Took it back in and they kept it for 3 days to figure out the problem. Got a phone call and they said it was my torque converter slipping. Thus I needed a new transmission. $2500 for the quick fix or $3500 for the rebuilt with a 3 year guarantee. I was not happy. Got onto the site and started to do research. I got a Innova 3100 scanner and came up with the P0740 code. Before I rebuilt the transmission I though I would try a few suggestions here. Here is what I have done.

Swapped eatx relay, with another relay. Took it out and the Light came back on.

There are two sensors for the transmission input speed and output speed. Replaced them and took it for a spin. So far so good. They are both located within close proximity of each other just underneath the battery. You will need to take off one of the transmission cooler hoses to change the one. They cost $17 each.

If this doesn't work, next I will replace the TCM.

I will keep you posted.

If you have any ideas let me know.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rick99

Posted: 01-15-2010, 07:52 AM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #2

Do a search for P0740 to find my transmission diagnosis and removal thread. Sounds like the dealer got you for a bunch of stuff that was wrong, but that you probably wouldn't have cared much about-- valve cover gasket and power steering have nothing to do with your tranny code. The leaking solenoid pack was an unlikely cause for the code, though it doesn't hurt to fix. I think you should not go back to this dealer since they're either incompetent or just trying to line their pockets or both.

You likely do not "need" a new or rebuilt tranny. They'll tell you that the torque converter clutch material is in the fluid and likely contaminated the tranny. There was plenty of clutch material in my pan when I did a fluid/filter change after replacing the torque converter and I now have another 25,000 miles on the van with no trouble. A new/rebuilt torque converter and a fluid and filter change (not a flush) should do the trick. There is some reason to consider replacing the tranny since you're going to incur the expense of R&Ring it (mine was very low mileage at the time so I didn't bother with a replacement tranny), but you'll have to make the call whether that's worth it since you'll probably get at least another 20K to 30K out of this tranny if it has been reasonably taken care of. Given the van's value, I doubt a replacement is worth it.

If you skim through my thread you'll see that I did the R&R myself with the help and advice of a professional mechanic here on the site. He said he could have done it for about $500, so if you live near him, go to him, if not call around to some independent shops. If you find someone familiar enough with the van, it shouldn't cost you too much to just R&R the torque converter and do a pan-drop fluid and filter change.
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

Last edited by Rick99 : 01-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Nathan Rose

Posted: 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Post #3

Rick,
Thanks for the info. I read your thread yesterday and found it very helpful. Just not so sure I want to take the time to do it myself. I mentioned that I changed out the Speed Sensors and that didn't work. On the one sensor there was about a drop of metal dust that had collected. It wasn't the shards that I have seen in some pictures. When they changed the gasket on my transmission pan they did not mention that there was any metal shards or anything when they did that work. I would hope that they would tell me that if they were to find it.

I was thinking about changing the TCM as the next step. It would be my last attempt before I took it in to have the transmission rebuilt. Like you said, is it worth it. What do you think of the TCM idea? Am I just wasting another $100?

Thanks

Rick99

Posted: 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #4

Yes, I think you'd just be wasting another $100 if you change the TCM. I can understand that you don't want to do this yourself (I'm not sure I'd do it again), but note my advice above that you find an independent shop that will do the torque converter R&R at a reasonable price.

If the problem was the sensors, the solenoid pack or the TCM you would be experiencing other transmission troubles-- like problems with shifting. BTW-- there is no hurry to fix this unless you need to pass an emissions test soon. This problem will not cause additional damage to your transmission/van. It just means your fuel efficiency will be slightly less. If there is no emissions testing in your state, I'd even suggest just living with this.
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l

Nathan Rose

Posted: 01-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Great advise. I just moved back out to the country where they do not have emissions tests. My family also has a mechanic that they like. I was thinking that I might just drive it for a few months while I look for a new vehicle for my wife. Appreciate the input.

Best to you.
Nathan

mastertech

Posted: 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
State: WI
Post #6

solenoid pack are notoriously bad on these things
Closed Thread