Rust-welded wheel hub removal-4x4 ujoint - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
benex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rust-welded wheel hub removal-4x4 ujoint

Has anyone had to remove a rusted on wheel bearing hub without ruining it, in order to replace the u joint behind it? The wheel bearing hub is still good, at least for now that is.

It's on a 2005 Ram 2500 with a fixed front axle.

I have tried:
* Hammering on the mounting bolts from the rear, but there is not much room to get a good swing.
* Using a screw-driven type puller. It was an auto parts loaner tool, and I started to strip the threads.
* Hammering chisels in-between the sheet metal caliper shield, and the bearing hub front locating face.

Please help!

2002 Ram 2500 Diesel with Bully Dog-Torque Dog Module
2005 Ram 2500 HEMI - stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM
trenton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
stupid question maybe did you remove the caliper and axle nut? Using a quality puller and an air chisle with a pin driver on the back side of the bolts. Oh and another good idea since your tearing into it think about putting in a manual locking hub kit since your taking it all apart and doing Ujoints.

06 mega cab 1500 hemi 4x4
#3 Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
benex

(Thread Starter)
Yes, the axle nut is off as well as the caliper and rotor.

I forgot to mention that an air hammer (with a pin attachment) was used on the back of the bolts while the screw type puller was engaged.

Right now I am putting a hydraulic 12-ton puller onto it, and plan on trying the air hammer on the back of the bolts.

My thought is that this should get it off, but may destroy the bearings in the hub.
Typically bearings are very strong when spinning, because the force is spread around the bearing race. A non-rotating bearing may just drive the balls into the race.

I will post on the results.

Getting pretty desperate here. I snow plow, and we have a small break in the weather. "get er' done!"
Thanks for posting

#4 Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
soak it with some penatrating lube..

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#5 Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
trenton

The 12 ton should work but likely crater the hub bearings. antiseize on reassembly I would recomend. Good luck and update when done.

#6 Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
benex

(Thread Starter)
I soaked the hub (and u joints) with PB Blaster over night. Ready to give this one another try. If it won’t budge, the torch may have to come out. Thinking about heating the bottom side of the knuckle, as it seems to be the thinnest section.

Also, I bought a new hub bearing assembly last night. Pretty sure the existing one will be wrecked when I am finished removing it.

If you live in the rust belt, where they use salt by the mega-ton, you almost have to disassemble a new truck when you buy it, and anti seize every serviceable part…lol

Just another day in paradise…Sh!t happens.

#7 Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 AM
bikerboy2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton View Post
...think about putting in a manual locking hub kit...
please tell me more.

03 2500 hemi 5 spd qcsb. bone stock other than level kit....for now
#8 Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy2489 View Post
please tell me more.
https://store.dynatrac.com/merchant....y_Code=HUBKITS

In my opinion the best thing to do when you need hubs replaced or have to do a Ujoint they also have upgrades to an even stronger setup

#9 Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM
jcovell

I just had the ball joints replaced on my 2005 RAM 2500. My mechanic had the same problems trying to remove the hub assembly. He ended up using a torch to cut the hub assembly in half to remove it from the knuckle.
#10 Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM
trenton

well how did you make out

#11 Old 01-15-2010, 02:42 PM
benex

(Thread Starter)
I put the 12-ton puller on the hub and pumped in until the outer wheel flange started to flex. Put some heat on the outer portion of the knuckle with the puller still engaged. No movement. Now I kept putting heat to the knuckle and POP! I could not believe what I saw. I had managed to pull off the front portion of the hub and bearing assembly, while leaving the rear portion of the assembly still rust welded in the knuckle.

Did you guys ever wonder what the assembly looked like inside?

Now this project has really become interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0968.JPG (671.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0970.JPG (709.0 KB, 56 views)

#12 Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Limedust

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Damn!

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB "Hemi" SLT 4x4
2004 Dodge Durango "Hemi" AWD/4x4
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
trenton

Chit!!!!!!!! you need the hub by looking at the bearings I hope mine is not that hard when it comes time to do. I know when I need hubs or Ujoints I'm going to swap in the manual hubs axle shafts.

#14 Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
ultimate ram

I'm glad it came apart for ya...but Damn..that bearng doesn't look as good as I expected. You said the wheel bearings were good, was that based of the fact that they were tight & turned smoothly.?

SAW IT-WANTED IT-HAD A FIT-GOT IT

05' Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Sport

Hemi-SuperChips-Vararam-Polished T/Body-Magnaflow Exhaust & Y Pipe-4.56's-315/70/Bfg KO's-Mopar/RB1 Navigation-Moon Roof-Power AMP Running boards-Hella's behind the Grill-Bushwacker O.E. Flares-Backup Camera & Sensors-Runel HD rear bumper-Jason topper W/Yakama roof rack-Firestone AirLift Bags-Super Springs-2.5" RevTec leveling kit-Rancho Lower Control Arms-Maxxis Sway bar Links-Radflow Steering Stabilizer-Defiant Track Bar-Defiant Steering Box Brace-Rancho 9000's-Helwig rear Sway Bar-Reese Titan 2.5" reciever hitch-Gripplin Billet door handles-E&G S/S wire mesh Grill-Mopar Billet Fuel door-Trans Temp gauge/srt pillar-HD Transmission Cooler-MagHyTec Front-Rear Diff Covers-Transmission Pan

#7 of the HORSE$HIT elite white truck club

#15 Old 01-15-2010, 05:52 PM
benex

(Thread Starter)
Yes, the bearing was tight, and spun freely and quietly…well, at least it used to…LOL
I also was surprised how nasty the outer bearing looked. The inner bearing looked a little better…until I got a hold of it…LOL

It’s a good thing that I had a spare bearing hub assembly just in case, in order to fix my u joint.

What a pain in the a$$!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0972-2.JPG (55.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0973-1.JPG (151.7 KB, 35 views)

#16 Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
ultimate ram

That's hard to imagine....how many miles on your Ram.?

Hemi-SuperChips-Vararam-Polished T/Body-Magnaflow Exhaust & Y Pipe-4.56's-315/70/Bfg KO's-Mopar/RB1 Navigation-Moon Roof-Power AMP Running boards-Hella's behind the Grill-Bushwacker O.E. Flares-Backup Camera & Sensors-Runel HD rear bumper-Jason topper W/Yakama roof rack-Firestone AirLift Bags-Super Springs-2.5" RevTec leveling kit-Rancho Lower Control Arms-Maxxis Sway bar Links-Radflow Steering Stabilizer-Defiant Track Bar-Defiant Steering Box Brace-Rancho 9000's-Helwig rear Sway Bar-Reese Titan 2.5" reciever hitch-Gripplin Billet door handles-E&G S/S wire mesh Grill-Mopar Billet Fuel door-Trans Temp gauge/srt pillar-HD Transmission Cooler-MagHyTec Front-Rear Diff Covers-Transmission Pan

#17 Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
benex

(Thread Starter)
47,220 miles

#18 Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
ultimate ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by benex View Post
47,220 miles
Now I'm stressed.....

#19 Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Rocky31186

Rams with 30k miles do this.. all of them seize into place and its a pain to get off..

Most of the time you have to get a sledge hammer and a air hammer at the same time and it pops off.. gets destroyed.. but it comes off..

I was about to tell you not to use the 12 ton puller, ive seen bearings explode in peoples faces...

So are you still trying to get the flange off? or did you get it off.. I would start cutting and cut that piece off..

2006 Jeep GCSRT8 6.1L AWD

BT Catch Can - FRI LilBoy Cam - Magnaflow Exhaust - Vortech V-3 Blower - Johan Tuned - Stage I Injectors - Aero340 Fuel Pump - Eibach Lowering Kit - Boost/AirFuel/Fuel Pressure Gauges.

#20 Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
benex

(Thread Starter)
ultimate ram - It says you are from Florida. You should have no problems. Just remember that I have been snow plowing for 4 years with this truck, and they use salt by the mega-ton here. When I say "rust weld", it's no joke!

I found a post here from a guy in Texas that had his right hub off in 1.5 hours. No rust, no problem!

Try not to duplicate his truck-lifting philosophy though…he had it only on jacks (propped up on stacked wood), and no jack stands. No, wait…I think I can see two plastic buckets stacked on each other to make one jack stand! I still cringe when I think about that!

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...ht=hub+bearing

His post is full of pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.