How to bleed power steering in '01 GC - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

jeepme79

How to bleed power steering in '01 GC - Posted: 01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
City: Mount Vernon
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I had to change the cooler hose in the power steering tonight. What is the propper way to bleed the system?
- 380,000 on the clock
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mfahey

Posted: 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM
City: Morris, Illinois
Post #2

From Alldata:
Read the fluid level through the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. The fluid level should indicate "COLD RANGE" when the fluid is at a temperature of approximately 21C to 27C (70F to 80F) .
Wipe the filler cap and area clean, then remove the cap.
Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two 2 minutes.
Start the engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn the engine off.
Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above steps, until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
Raise the front wheels off the ground.
Start the engine.
Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
Add power steering fluid if necessary.
Lower the vehicle, then turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat the above procedure.
Also, one of the cooler hoses let go on our 2001. Had it replaced in the dead of winter, only to have the other one go out on my wife when she was out of town. My point would be that in hindsight, I should have replaced both of them once the first one went bad.
It also says to use only PS fluid, not ATF.
Closed Thread