How to bleed power steering in '01 GC - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
jeepme79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to bleed power steering in '01 GC

I had to change the cooler hose in the power steering tonight. What is the propper way to bleed the system?

2003 2500 CTD QC 4x4 6-speed
- Bully Dog Crazy Larry
- 295/70r17 Nitto's
- 380,000 on the clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM
mfahey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From Alldata:
Read the fluid level through the side of the power steering fluid reservoir. The fluid level should indicate "COLD RANGE" when the fluid is at a temperature of approximately 21C to 27C (70F to 80F) .
Wipe the filler cap and area clean, then remove the cap.
Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two 2 minutes.
Start the engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn the engine off.
Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above steps, until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
Raise the front wheels off the ground.
Start the engine.
Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
Add power steering fluid if necessary.
Lower the vehicle, then turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat the above procedure.
Also, one of the cooler hoses let go on our 2001. Had it replaced in the dead of winter, only to have the other one go out on my wife when she was out of town. My point would be that in hindsight, I should have replaced both of them once the first one went bad.
It also says to use only PS fluid, not ATF.

2001 GC ES
1988 GC LE(RIP)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.