What year of Grand Caravan is the best to buy used? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
kweaklan
weaky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What year of Grand Caravan is the best to buy used?

Currently I own a 98 and 01 Grand but want to get a 2004, 05 or 06. Just wondering if there is a consensus on which year is less prone to having mechanical issues. I would love your opinions. Best, kweaklan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
mfahey

Well, if you put any faith in the Consumer Reports ratings(which are based on subscriber responses to a detailed questionnaire), the 2004 and 2005 are received the lowest rating of much worse than average repair frequency while the 2006 received an average rating.
All 3 years were rated much worse than average for brakes, body hardware and suspension(no surprise to anyone who frequents this board). Troublesome areas for the 2004 and 2005 are engine cooling, fuel and electrical systems.
For reference, the Siena is rated better than average overall while the 04 Odyssey is much better than average, the 05 is average and the 06 is better than average.

2001 GC ES
1988 GC LE(RIP)
#3 Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM
kweaklan
weaky

(Thread Starter)
Sienna is on the list, but, it is kinda like cheating on your barber going to a better one, but you still like your old barber, because you know everything about him already. If he makes a mistake (something breaks) you can fix it easily or have a good idea what to do. I know my barber Dodge, even if I the Toyota barber might be better. I don't know.
#4 Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
jfoust

FWIW, our 05 has always been a headache. Just replaced the water pump (62k miles - earlier than any car I've ever owned), eats brakes faster than anything I've seen so far, small oil leak from somewhere, and now a power steering rack leak (not to mention the P/S death whine that I cured last year)!

A co-worker has a '06 with about 85k on it, and has had a lot of the same problems, minus the P/S leak. I can't speak for my co-worker, but I am meticulous with my car maintenance... I drive a '97 Pathfinder and a '88 Corvette, and it's been nothing but routine scheduled maintenance on them under my ownership, so it's not anything I'm doing!

'05 Grand Caravan SXT - just bought on Jan 9, 08!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.