Trouble balancing tires... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Tire and Wheel Talk

jpn800

Trouble balancing tires... - Posted: 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Post #1

I recently changed the tires on my Ram to 275/65/20. The place that installed the tires balanced them and they still had a wobble. I went to two other places and and paid to have them balanced again and still a wobble. Here is the thing, I was watching while this last guy did the balance and he did one tire and it came up all zero's then he removed it from the machine I asked him to put it back on so I can see all zero's and he did. Now the tire comes up with needing 3.5 oz on one side and like 2 oz on the other..... He said it will never be the same once they remove it from the machine because of the way it mounts and that my chrome clad on the wheels was the problem for not having a solid mounting spot. What are the rest of you guys doing? Is the powder balancing a good idea.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MikeyB

Posted: 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Diesel User
City: Tomball
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Find a shop that has a road force balancer and actually knows how to use it. This machine will usually find tire issues.

MikeyB
2003 Dodge Ram 2wd SWB 2500 QC 305/555, NV5600, Laramie, Westach, PML, Adjustable boost elbow, Airbox mod/Amsoil Ea, Line-X, Hurst shift knob,Toyo OC AT 285/70/17 E, Daystar 1.5" lift, Monroe Reflex, Raptor RP100, Lazarsmith Intake Horn, HID
Smarty/Van Aaken C3.2
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

DoubleJ

Posted: 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
DoubleJ
City: Muskoka
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Your local dealership should have a copy of this TSB 22-002-09:

Chrome Clad Wheel Adapters For Proper Balancing
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin describes the use of proper wheel adapters when mounting Chrome Clad wheels to wheel balancing equipment.
MODELS:
2007 - 2009 (D1) Ram Truck (3500 Pick Up)
2007 - 2010 DC) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab)
2005 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)
2009 - 2010 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)

NOTE: This information applies to any model equipped with Chrome Clad Wheels.
DISCUSSION:
Models equipped with Chrome Clad wheels require specific piloting on balance equipment to properly center the wheel and prevent damage to the chrome clad surface. The chrome cladding is not removable or replaceable and has cladding tabs that extend into the wheel bore. Traditional high-taper cones will come into contact with the cladding tabs rather than properly seat on the hub bore chamfer. Many modern aluminum wheel designs cannot be mounted with traditional cones. Direct-Fit Collets should be used to properly mount clad wheels on balance equipment

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
1-20-2382-1 Wheel Balance Kit, Collet / Flange Plate
NOTE: This kit includes the adapters for all Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep models with clad wheels. Individual adapters for specific wheel sizes can be ordered separately. To order a kit or individual adapters, contact Pentastar Service Equipment @ 1-800-223-5623.

They should have(by now) received this "special tool".
2/4, 20's, clean

jpn800

Posted: 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Thanks for that info, I passed it along to two local Dodge dealers and they had no idea what I was talking about. So I tried a few different tire shops. After NINE yes NINE times balancing my tires, I finally have it done... I found a shop with a Coats XR1800 tire managment machine and they did it once and it was great for one day then half of the clip on weights flew off. He then re balanced the wheels again and used stick on weights, so far so good.

the hessian

Posted: 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
DEATH ROCK
State: AR
Post #5

stick on weights are the best way to go, unless your in the mud and slop all the time. Thats what I've been using for years.