Trouble balancing tires... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
jpn800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trouble balancing tires...

I recently changed the tires on my Ram to 275/65/20. The place that installed the tires balanced them and they still had a wobble. I went to two other places and and paid to have them balanced again and still a wobble. Here is the thing, I was watching while this last guy did the balance and he did one tire and it came up all zero's then he removed it from the machine I asked him to put it back on so I can see all zero's and he did. Now the tire comes up with needing 3.5 oz on one side and like 2 oz on the other..... He said it will never be the same once they remove it from the machine because of the way it mounts and that my chrome clad on the wheels was the problem for not having a solid mounting spot. What are the rest of you guys doing? Is the powder balancing a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
MikeyB
Diesel User

Find a shop that has a road force balancer and actually knows how to use it. This machine will usually find tire issues.

MikeyB

2003 Dodge Ram 2wd SWB 2500 QC 305/555, NV5600, Laramie, Westach, PML, Adjustable boost elbow, Airbox mod/Amsoil Ea, Line-X, Hurst shift knob,Toyo OC AT 285/70/17 E, Daystar 1.5" lift, Monroe Reflex, Raptor RP100, Lazarsmith Intake Horn, HID
Smarty/Van Aaken C3.2
#3 Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM
DoubleJ
DoubleJ

Your local dealership should have a copy of this TSB 22-002-09:

Chrome Clad Wheel Adapters For Proper Balancing
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin describes the use of proper wheel adapters when mounting Chrome Clad wheels to wheel balancing equipment.
MODELS:
2007 - 2009 (D1) Ram Truck (3500 Pick Up)
2007 - 2010 DC) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab)
2005 - 2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up)
2009 - 2010 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)

NOTE: This information applies to any model equipped with Chrome Clad Wheels.
DISCUSSION:
Models equipped with Chrome Clad wheels require specific piloting on balance equipment to properly center the wheel and prevent damage to the chrome clad surface. The chrome cladding is not removable or replaceable and has cladding tabs that extend into the wheel bore. Traditional high-taper cones will come into contact with the cladding tabs rather than properly seat on the hub bore chamfer. Many modern aluminum wheel designs cannot be mounted with traditional cones. Direct-Fit Collets should be used to properly mount clad wheels on balance equipment

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
1-20-2382-1 Wheel Balance Kit, Collet / Flange Plate
NOTE: This kit includes the adapters for all Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep models with clad wheels. Individual adapters for specific wheel sizes can be ordered separately. To order a kit or individual adapters, contact Pentastar Service Equipment @ 1-800-223-5623.

They should have(by now) received this "special tool".

'03 HEMI RC/SB
S/C, Comp 260, Pacesetter LT's, Taylor shorties, 180stat,
Sharadon 5-45RFE, Edge 2600, e-dumps, e-fan, 4.10's
2/4, 20's, clean

#4 Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
jpn800

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for that info, I passed it along to two local Dodge dealers and they had no idea what I was talking about. So I tried a few different tire shops. After NINE yes NINE times balancing my tires, I finally have it done... I found a shop with a Coats XR1800 tire managment machine and they did it once and it was great for one day then half of the clip on weights flew off. He then re balanced the wheels again and used stick on weights, so far so good.
#5 Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
the hessian
DEATH ROCK

stick on weights are the best way to go, unless your in the mud and slop all the time. Thats what I've been using for years.

2001 dodge ram 4x4 12" lift on 38's road armor bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.