P2097 Engine Code, which O2 Sensor? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
bhall7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
P2097 Engine Code, which O2 Sensor?

Our 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan's check engine light has come on and reports P2097 Error code which reads, "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 1". The van seems to surge and buck while holding the accelerator at a steady speed (not while accelerating).

There are two oxygen sensors in the Grand Caravan: one before the catalytic converter and one after the catalytic converter. If I'm getting a P2097 error code, which oxygen sensor is bad, the one before or after the catalytic converter?

Is this even likely to be resolved by replacing either O2 sensors? What else can I try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM
RickMN

Post cat means AFTER the cat converter=closer to the tailpipe. That code doesn't automatically mean the sensor is bad. Especially since you're having driveability problems, it could really be telling the truth. But the post cat sensor doesn't measure how well the air/fuel mixture was calculated. It only measures what's going on in the cat converter. You have little to lose by changing it yourself (about $60). But changing it probably won't fix your surge issues. Plus, if it really is running rich, you can destroy the converter by dumping too much fuel in it. That'll cost you a cool $1,200.

My advice: change the sensor and fix the surge problem.

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#3 Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Palmentech766
^GM Goodwrench Certified^

check for an exhaust leak first.

2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Mineral Gray
1978 AMC Matador Wagon Morocco Buff
1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible Matador Red
#4 Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
bhall7

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick replies!

So, just because the code indicates post catalyst, doesn't mean that the O2 sensor after the cat is bad? Could it be that the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter is bad, and that is producing a rich mixture downstream?

A guy at my local Dodge dealership at the service dept. said that since it says Bank 1, it means that it's the sensor before the catalytic converter (even though it says "post catalyst" in the error code).

If I replace the O2 sensor, I just want to make sure I'm replacing the right one.

If I were to pay for this service at my Dodge dealership, about how much should I expect to pay?

Some have suggested that it may not be the O2 sensor at all, but the spark plugs.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#5 Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
mfahey

As Rick mentioned, the O2 sensor after the converter is just a monitor for the converter and does nothing to control how the engine performs. Since you are having issues with the way the van is driving, the true problem lies elsewhere in the engine control circuit. If that problem is the upstream O2 sensor, standard labor is 1.4 hours with a sensor cost of $95. Replacing it yourself is pretty straightforward if you buy/borrow a socket made specifically for O2 sensors although you might be able to get it out with standard tools.
Rule of thumb that I've heard is that O2 sensors don't go bad all of a sudden but tend to just fade away and even though they are still working, give the computer erroneous information about the fuel/air mixture which results is poor fuel economy and possibly what you are experiencing. Often, the sensor is ready for replacement at 100,000 miles.

2001 GC ES
1988 GC LE(RIP)
#6 Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
bhall7

(Thread Starter)
mfahey, et. al,

Thanks for the replies! What you describe is likely what has been happening with my upstream O2 sensor. The check engine light started lighting up a few months ago, then it would go off, and intermittently go on again, until the last couple months when it has been on steady all the time.

The Grand Caravan has 75,000 miles and I'm hoping that replacing the sensor will solve the problem. I have an appointment tomorrow at Pep Boys. The part is $39, and the labor is about $55, and they have a 10% off coupon on their web site. Totally worth paying a little extra to have someone else do it!

Thanks!
#7 Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM
mfahey

I also have a Bonneville SSEi and the forums I go to for it are absolutely death on Bosch O2 sensors. I can't say that from personal experience but offer it up for what's it's worth.

2001 GC ES
1988 GC LE(RIP)
#8 Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
bhall7

(Thread Starter)
Turns out it's not an issue with the O2 sensor, but rather the EGR valve (about $100 part, plus 1.5 hours of labor, and a $90 diagnostic). Honestly, it ended up being more than what I was expecting, but I'm glad that they're actually going to fix what's wrong, and not just throw money at the O2 sensor when it wasn't actually the problem (it was doing its job!). Thanks again to everyone for the replies!

Happy New Year!

Brian
#9 Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
mastertech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahey View Post
As Rick mentioned, the O2 sensor after the converter is just a monitor for the converter and does nothing to control how the engine performs. Since you are having issues with the way the van is driving, the true problem lies elsewhere in the engine control circuit. If that problem is the upstream O2 sensor, standard labor is 1.4 hours with a sensor cost of $95. Replacing it yourself is pretty straightforward if you buy/borrow a socket made specifically for O2 sensors although you might be able to get it out with standard tools.
Rule of thumb that I've heard is that O2 sensors don't go bad all of a sudden but tend to just fade away and even though they are still working, give the computer erroneous information about the fuel/air mixture which results is poor fuel economy and possibly what you are experiencing. Often, the sensor is ready for replacement at 100,000 miles.
chrysler down stream o2 sensors do have to do with fine trim fuel control, not just for monitoring cats
#10 Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
rangoneer
Power Aficionado

so did the egr fix your code?

05 LTD Black HEMI ...loaded with the basics

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!
Closed Thread