Great Western Trail snow day - 11 Dec 09 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
crawler#976

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Great Western Trail snow day - 11 Dec 09

Decided to run a portion of the Great Western Trail near Williams, AZ on Friday. We'd had a good snow storm Monday, with 20 to 28" of snow in the high country. Lots of search and rescue missions were done to get late season Elk hunters out. The snow has settled quite a bit, and had a heavy crust about 4" thick on it.

We took Perkinsville Rd east from Chino Valley to the GWT, and got on FR 354. It starts at Sand Flat at 4800' elevation, and comes out on CR 73 at 7200'. We almost made it to the top, but the snow got too deep and the tracks we were following were Jeep wide which made it worse than breaking new snow. We stopped at 7000' with about 15" of old crusty snow on the trail.

Other than the full on trail rig, the big Dodge is by far and away the best snow vehicle I've ever had. We did most of the drive in 4 hi, and it went thru stuff the Taco would have struggled with in 4 lo w/ the rear locker on. Even with huge diffs and the low skid plate under the steering stabilizer, the truck just plowed it's way along effortlessly until the Jeep tracks from earlier in the week. The old tracks were frozen and crusty, and there wasn't quite enough room to straddle them without getting into the bar ditch. The photo of the truck is after turning around at the base of the next hill climb. I decided I didn't want to do any winch work yesterday. It was already 3 PM, and I knew I had to climb a 200' hill to get to the next plateau. The hill was north facing, and the snow was getting deeper fast. Perhaps if we'd had another PW along I might have given it a try.

The half day trip was fun for all - Tami and Dusty came along, and I'm not sure who had a better time!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GWT sign.jpg (240.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg turkey 1.JPG (219.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg turkey 2.JPG (238.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tami and dusty.JPG (370.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg fetch.JPG (250.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg cactus red 1.JPG (333.0 KB, 13 views)

Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2009, 02:49 PM
neotech

Awesome. Looks like it was fun.

06 Powerwagon - MIA
#3 Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
azracer

Fun but cooooold LOL

KP
#4 Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Lusso22
Ram Driver

Beautiful.....Looked like a nice time!

2008 1500 QC 4X4/4.7
Leveled(and that's it)
JUST GETTING STARTED

2000 Silvy RCSS
Bags or Static
-Project Truck-
#5 Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 PM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Thumbs up

Glad someone had a nice time. I'm repairing wind damage from the last 4 days.

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

Jacqui, loving wife and mother. 7/11/61 - 5/13/11 I miss you!
"Moab '10, '12",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13"

RUSS
#6 Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Sixspeed

I think I'll go on a little drive in the snow tomorrow myself, I've been wanting to experiment with lower tire pressure for the deep stuff. Looks like it was a good time
#7 Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
warden
Park Ranger

sweet!

PWOC #130

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.