Yellow sludge buildup in oil cap. Ideas? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

jmh

Yellow sludge buildup in oil cap. Ideas? - Posted: 11-28-2009, 12:04 PM
State: UT
Post #1

We have a 2005 Durango SLT 5.7 hemi we've had since about July '09. I have changed the oil once on it. It had a synthetic blend something or other, so I went with full synthetic Mobile 1 5w-20 this time around.
Really, this is the first time I have ever put synthetic in any of my vehicles. I do all my own oil changes on all 4 of my vehicles and have done so since i first got my license @ 16. I had always went conventional and changed religiously at 3k miles or less.
Anyways, I had to change a leaky power steering hose on the Durango last night, and I thought I would check the oil.. It appeared to need a top off, so I took the oil filler cap off and there was a bunch of stuff that would be best explained as yellow sludge. It looked like lithium grease. I turned the cap over and there was water in there that appeared to be condensation.

I cleaned it out completely with brake cleaner topped off oil and put it back.

I immediately checked my coolant level and it appeared fine. I have been searching the internet and found that there can be condensation buildup if the PCV valve isnt working properly and due to the design of the filler cap being higher than the pcv valve, that condensation may naturally collect there.

I am concerned as to the condition of the internals of the engine.

Would this be simply due to the colder temps and condensation buildup or would it be related to the synthetic oil? This is the first time i have ever seen this in my years of doing oil changes, and this is the first time i have used synthetic, so im trying to figure our if there is a relation.

Also, it is parked outside, so when the temps range about 40 degrees or lower, the oil light comes on when first started for the day. When the vehicle is shut off and turned back on, typically the oil light will go off unless its really cold. This has occurred even before i changed the oil.

I am concerned that it could be a pick up screen in the oil pan, but i have searched the internet and found others with a similar issue, so i dont know if its a common issue/false positive or there is really a mechanical issue.

Anyone ever experience the sludge or oil light issue? Anyone have any input or ideas?
Thanks in advance!
James
[1997 RAM 1500 SLT] -- SOLD 6/25/2012 w/ 193k miles
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

03demon

Posted: 11-28-2009, 02:37 PM
State: TN
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

My 4.7L does the same thing. I asked a mechanic and he said it was condensation and not to worry about it. That was over a year ago, so I just don't think about it.

sca

Posted: 11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
City: Streetsville, CANADA
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #3

X2

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Bye Bye
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

X3... nothing to worry about

PKRcaver

Posted: 11-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Post #5

The condensation is normal, but the oil light may not. The oil light may stay on until the pressure comes up, right after engine start. This should only be a few seconds after start. If it stays on longer, than the oil pump may be worn, pickup tube or filter clogged, or sluggish pressure sensor. How long on a cold engine does your light stay on? Depending on the grade, your synthetic oil has realy good pumpability at cold start.

Gold5th

Posted: 11-30-2009, 12:46 PM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #6

On the sludge as long as it's just the oil cap no worries, if your oil starts to looklike a milkshake, then worry.

On the oil pressure light.. it's a $30 part, so it maybe worth it to try replacing the oil pressure switch, it's just above the oil filter facing the front of the engine (on the Hemi).

My D would always have the light on when it was cold out and cold started.. first time I noticed I had been idling for about 20min letting the D warm up, I freaked, turned it off and back on light went out. after that if the light came on on start up, I just turned off the motor, restarted and it was out. With the new oil pressure switch, no light anymore.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI, Bullydog GT for Hemi
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4300K HID, 3200K HID in fogs

KC_Metal

Posted: 11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03demon View Post
My 4.7L does the same thing. I asked a mechanic and he said it was condensation and not to worry about it. That was over a year ago, so I just don't think about it.
Mine doesn't have the buildup but there was another thread about it and I guess it's pretty common.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

cehall17

Posted: 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Post #8

I am the original owner of a 2005 Ram 1500 slt with a 4.7. From the first oil change, the underside of the oil cap has collected condensate from the crankcase. No biggie.

As of last winter, when it's real cold out the oil pressure gauge dosen't read. Like others i freaked at first. It all good.

After 4 years and almost 70,000 miles, I still love my truck.

Gold5th

Posted: 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #9

cehall17, you may need a new oil pressure sending unit.. I did.. it was about $25 up here in Canada for the part, and all I needed was a deep socket 23mm or something(can't remember) dealer said 21mm.. but they were wrong. I waited til next oil change swapped it out.. added like 8min to the oil change time and 3min of that was figuring out by touch how to disconnect the darn wire harness...

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI, Bullydog GT for Hemi
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4300K HID, 3200K HID in fogs

AK1

Posted: 12-24-2009, 12:12 AM
What! Me Worry?
City: Stoney Creek
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Mine has never had that issue.

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102

Praise04SLT

Posted: 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
City: Langley
State: BC
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03demon View Post
x4 My does too but no known problems.......

Reese Brake Controller
Tow Kit
(MacGyver Homebrew) CAI
Flowmaster 40 Series
35% Front Windows
Superchips 3865
Grille Airflow Restriction Delete
Air Ram Power Wire
10.2 inch Alpine Rear Flip Down DVD System
Royal Purple Full Synthetic Oil
20inch Boss 331's
275 55 20 Pirelli Scorpions
Black Stubby Antenna

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
cehall17, you may need a new oil pressure sending unit.. I did.. it was about $25 up here in Canada for the part, and all I needed was a deep socket 23mm or something(can't remember) dealer said 21mm.. but they were wrong. I waited til next oil change swapped it out.. added like 8min to the oil change time and 3min of that was figuring out by touch how to disconnect the darn wire harness...
Sounds like a good idea to replace that item.

MatrixMan

Posted: 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
MatrixMan
City: Millersville
State: MD
Post #13

Took my D in today to replace rear pinion seal AGAIN and also asked them to provide some input on this yellow sludge and they said it was due to condensation. They also suggested to replace the PCV in case it was not breathing well. Had an oil change done and replaced the PCV so will see if there is any benefit...
  • Stainless MagnaFlow Exhaust Tips
  • '05 Dodge Ram 1500 20'' Wheels
  • Front Tinted Winows
  • Putco Chrome Fuel Door
  • Chrome Billet Door Lock Pins
  • Chrome Billet Grill
  • Stainless Steel Durango Door Entry Guards
  • Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers
  • Auto Ventshade In-Channel Vent Visors
  • Rear Spoiler
  • Autolite X Iridium Spark Plugs
  • DuraLast Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Chrome Westin Platinum Series Side Step Bars
  • Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Lighting
  • Bilstein Shocks
  • Power Wire
  • AWD/4WD with 5.7 L Hemi

07Aspen

Posted: 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
City: USA
Post #14

This is a common occurence on the 4.7L and 3.7L engines.

It is emulsified oil and water and nothing to worry about. It is usually caused by frequent short trips when the engine doesn't get fully warmed up or very cold climates. The water doesn't get hot enough to evaporate out. And it doesn't help that the filler neck is so high and further away from the engine.

If this happens to you I would consider shortening your oil change interval or switching to a high quality synthetic. If you are really worried about it send in a sample of your oil for anaylsis before switching or changing interval, you may be fine.

Both the 4.7 in my Aspen and the 3.7 in my Liberty do not have this problem, probably because we hardly ever do any short trips and live in a warm/temperate climate. Syn Rotella 5w-40 in the 4.7 and regular dino juice in the 3.7.
-Dynomax 30" HD Super Turbo
-Shell Rotella T Syn 5w-40 w/ 51515 Wix Filters
-Amsoil 75w-140
-Motive 4.10 Gears
-Bilstein Shocks
-MYGIG RER w/Lockpick Adapter
-Backup Camera
-Stainless Nerf Bars
-Chrome Hood Deflector
-Chrome Tow Hooks

'11 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X2 DD
'06 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

It's present on my oil cap, but it doesn't seem to be an issue

snhudurango

Posted: 01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Swamp Yankee
City: Northeast Kingdom
State: VT
Post #16

I asked my Dodge what it was, and it told me to stop pissing in the tank after the bars...

2004 Dodge Durango 4.7L 136,143 Miles -TRADED

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by snhudurango View Post
I asked my Dodge what it was, and it told me to stop pissing in the tank after the bars...

What's that your high octane gas?

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Bye Bye
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Fuel additive...

04Durango47L40

Posted: 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM
City: Kokomo
State: IN
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

Me too, condensation, no need to worry my 4.7 does it too.

Mods; Window tint, TB lift, Straight Pipe Exaust.

MatrixMan

Posted: 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
MatrixMan
City: Millersville
State: MD
Post #20

Several days now after my oil change and PCV replacement, My D runs better. Wonder what the life expectancy of the PCV is for our D's? This is my first time replacing it after 103K miles. It has to be less then that....
  • Stainless MagnaFlow Exhaust Tips
  • '05 Dodge Ram 1500 20'' Wheels
  • Front Tinted Winows
  • Putco Chrome Fuel Door
  • Chrome Billet Door Lock Pins
  • Chrome Billet Grill
  • Stainless Steel Durango Door Entry Guards
  • Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers
  • Auto Ventshade In-Channel Vent Visors
  • Rear Spoiler
  • Autolite X Iridium Spark Plugs
  • DuraLast Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Chrome Westin Platinum Series Side Step Bars
  • Sylvania Silverstar High Performance Lighting
  • Bilstein Shocks
  • Power Wire
  • AWD/4WD with 5.7 L Hemi
Closed Thread