Well, here's another update...
Started out today by removing the timing covers. Pretty simple, just a few 10mm bolts. This exposed the Timing Belt, Oil and Water pumps, and the Crank and Camshaft Sprockets.
I loosened the Timing Belt Tensioner and had my brother shove it towards the firewall as I retightened the bolt to hold it in place, out of the way.
I then checked the timing marks on each of the Cam and Crank sprockets to be sure we were still at TDC. Checked out perfect, so I removed the timing belt, and slipped the Crank Sprocket off the nose of the Crankshaft.
I now had the crankshaft seal in front of me. (About freakin' time!) I'd have to say, there wasn't anything that looked obviously wrong about the seal. After a small discussion pondering whether or not the leak was actually coming from this seal, we decided to replace the seal whether it was the culprit or not.
As soon as I began trying to pry the seal from the bore, any doubt that this wasn't the correct move was gone. The seal was so old and dry, the rubber was crumbling and pealing apart as I attempted to remove it. After about a half hour of picking at it, I was able to pop it out. Tedious because of the condition of the original seal, but not too terrible of a task.
I then lubed up the new seal with some grease and used the homemade PVC pipe seal installation tool along with the crankshaft bolt and a couple washers to drive the new seal into place. Relatively simple.
I then reinstalled the Crank Sprocket and the new timing belt.
The sprocket went on without issue, but the timing belt was a different story.
Being brand new, it was a bit stiff and kinda difficult to get into place on all the sprockets. After a few minutes of struggling with it, I magically gained some slack and was able to slip it on. Well, maybe not so "magically".
What had happened was the rear cam sprocket had rotated just a bit to allow the teeth on the belt and sprocket to mesh and was now one tooth out of time with the other two sprockets. Damnit!!
Okay, so I took the belt back off and proceeded to move the rear cam to where it needed to be with a socket and rachet on the Cam sprocket. There was some resistance so I upped the force I was using. This extra force only allowed the cam to spring forward, much further than I needed. I battled this for a little bit and then was able it to place it where I need it to be.
I again slipped the timing belt back on and checked the timing marks only to have the same results. Rear cam one tooth off. Mmm...
I messed with this for a while until I realized I could set the rear sprocket just a tooth out of time and then when I slipped belt it would rotate just a bit and right into time where I needed to be. So thats exactly what I did. Kinda a pain the ass, but it worked.
I tightened the last bolt just a couple hours ago. Reinstalled the serpentine and A/C belts, and reconnected the battery. With the car still on the jack stands I turned the key forward to prime the fuel pump and then cranked 'er over...
Rrrr...Rrrrr... VROOM! The old girl started up and ran. Yes! I let it idle just long enough to crawl under it to inspect for the leak. Nothing in site, so I shut it down. I buttoned up reinstalling the inner fender well and splash guard, as well as the passenger side wheel/tire. Dropped it off the jack stands and torqued the lugnuts. After picking up all the tools, I fired the GCV back up and took it for a spin. Seems to run fine. It did give me a SES light about two blocks from home, but the scan tool indicated it was EGR related and nothing to do with oil, or timing. Sweet. Brought 'er back into the shop and checked again for signs of leakage. Still not a drop.