4wd not working. im out of ideas. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4wd not working. im out of ideas.

ok my 4wd on my 01 1500 sport will not work and i need some ideas. when i jack it up with all 4 tires off the ground they all 4 spin. but when im stuck or in mud i get nothing from the front. on a dry road i put it in 4lo and punch it i can do a mean ass burnout and kick the back over but that just shows me the fronts not working. i know the axles engaging and so is the t case wich is new. i get a clunking noise from the front when in 4wd that is consistent with speed. so my good sir's, any ideas as two whats wrong?

PROUD OWNER OF A BLACK DODGE SS/T soon to have a new (rebuilt) 5.9l base 408
[Black Truck Club Member #671
Reg. Cab Truck Club Member #4
About me
Im 17 and live in Texas. I love trucks and fast cars.
i own a 98 dodge ram ss/t and a 81 corvette stingray that im turning into a pro street car. supercharged 496 BBC.

I am someone who can not leave well enough alone.
If it's not broken, I can STILL FIX IT!
I have many projects going on and I randomly dedicate more time to one or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM
DitchRam

When all 4 wheels are off the ground, there is no resistance against you're drivetrain, so if something is partially engaging/ trying to engage, it will turn the front wheels. I would chock the front wheels, lift the rear end off the ground and (carefully) put it in gear while someone watches the front driveshaft from a safe distance. I'm betting there's something wrong with the axle disconnect.

Dan

2001 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L 5-speed
Superchips programmer, Ported throttle body, modified intake manifold, HS 1.7 roller rockers, other assorted trinkets....

1987 Ramcharger 4x4 318 auto
Pretty much retired

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500
26" mud lites
Absorbs my abusive urges so aforementioned dodge doesn't have to
#3 Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM
wes springer

i'd check the shift fork on the axle tube

new to mopar
new to dodgetalk.com forum
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 ex cab 4x4
408 cuin 46Re
4:10 gears, interior from a 2001 2500
spray in bed liner,soon to finish body work
5'' suspension and 3'' body
sitting on 42'' x 19'' x 15'' Mickey Thompson bajas
have a 1/4'' steel plate as a bumper right now b/c its deer season !!
otherwise its got the factory chrome
here chevy chevy chevy
#4 Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes springer View Post
i'd check the shift fork on the axle tube
im pretty sure everything's fine with the cad. and one more thing i forgot to add the 4wd light dose come on and off when its supposed to. but ill do what DitchRam suggested and report back.

About me
i own a 98 dodge ram ss/t and a 81 corvette stingray that im turning into a pro street car. supercharged 496 BBC.

I have many projects going on and I randomly dedicate more time to one or another.
#5 Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
lil more info i forgot too. it made the weird noises when i didn't have the vacuum actuator on due to waiting for a new one to come in. so there was no way it was even trying to engage. its not the tcase seeing how it did that with two of them. new and old. i engaged the cad manually then took it for a drive with the axle still open guts showing down my driveway and back. still made the noise but was totaly engaged.

About me

#6 Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitchRam View Post
When all 4 wheels are off the ground, there is no resistance against you're drivetrain, so if something is partially engaging/ trying to engage, it will turn the front wheels. I would chock the front wheels, lift the rear end off the ground and (carefully) put it in gear while someone watches the front driveshaft from a safe distance. I'm betting there's something wrong with the axle disconnect.

Dan
it didn't even move the truck. made the weird clunking grinding noise and the front shaft was moving. also the axle did engage. it makes the noise in 4wd axle engaged or not but never in 2wd. aka i removed the vacuum actuator and put it in 4 manually.

About me

#7 Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM
dsertdog56
Mopar owner since 1977

ok,,,the axle is engaged, and you still do not have 4wd with w load (on the ground). In other words, you have 4wd with no load and no 4wd drive with a load...

...and a clunky grinding noise when it's engaged?

Have you pulled the front diff cover yet?. Or...with the front drive shaft removed, have you tried spinning the front axles while a helper holds one wheel still. This will test the differential. If you get the clunk or grind in the front axle this way you have an internal issue in your diff.

Do you often try 4wd burnouts or engage 4wd on dry pavement?

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 with all kinds of subtle and not so subtle modifications. I believe the mods you didn't try to find because my truck doesn't have a huge lift or massive tires are my BEST ones!
People of Integrity Expect To Be Believed, and When They're Not, They Let time Prove Them Right !
Member of the Elite White truck club #172 4x4 club member #25
Member of the Quad Cab club #41 Member #3 Science and Evolution club
#8 Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 AM
DitchRam

Yeah, I'd be pulling that diff cover. Sounds like the guts in the diff may have let go, or possibly a broken half-shaft..........

2001 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L 5-speed
Superchips programmer, Ported throttle body, modified intake manifold, HS 1.7 roller rockers, other assorted trinkets....

1987 Ramcharger 4x4 318 auto
Pretty much retired

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500
26" mud lites
Absorbs my abusive urges so aforementioned dodge doesn't have to
#9 Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsertdog56 View Post
ok,,,the axle is engaged, and you still do not have 4wd with w load (on the ground). In other words, you have 4wd with no load and no 4wd drive with a load...

...and a clunky grinding noise when it's engaged?

Have you pulled the front diff cover yet?. Or...with the front drive shaft removed, have you tried spinning the front axles while a helper holds one wheel still. This will test the differential. If you get the clunk or grind in the front axle this way you have an internal issue in your diff.

Do you often try 4wd burnouts or engage 4wd on dry pavement?
hello
i have pulled the cover off and whats weird is every thing looks good. is it possible that my ring and pinion are wore out so there slipping a guess you could call it?

and never for both of your questions. the only time ive ever burned any rubber in wed was to see if the 4wd was working which it wasn't. lol

About me

#10 Old 11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitchRam View Post
Yeah, I'd be pulling that diff cover. Sounds like the guts in the diff may have let go, or possibly a broken half-shaft..........
wonder if its possible that some splines sheered off on a hub or half shaft?

About me

#11 Old 11-21-2009, 05:47 PM
dsertdog56
Mopar owner since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_ss/t View Post
it didn't even move the truck. made the weird clunking grinding noise and the front shaft was moving. also the axle did engage. it makes the noise in 4wd axle engaged or not but never in 2wd. aka i removed the vacuum actuator and put it in 4 manually.
Well based on this post, it sounds like either an axle is broke, or something internaly is wrong. That's why I wanted to confirm that you only had the noise in 4wd.

I'd remove the front drive shaft and try turning the pinion under load (wheels on ground) I'd probably have the cover off so someone can observe.
Then try it with the wheels off the ground.
Id be looking for missing/worn spider gear teeth or teeth on the ring and pinion, as well as a broken shaft. Usually gears that are properly hardened shatter, not erode away.
Although....if you took the front cover off and any of that happened, there should have been metal in your diff fluid. LOTS of metal!

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 with all kinds of subtle and not so subtle modifications. I believe the mods you didn't try to find because my truck doesn't have a huge lift or massive tires are my BEST ones!
People of Integrity Expect To Be Believed, and When They're Not, They Let time Prove Them Right !
Member of the Elite White truck club #172 4x4 club member #25
Member of the Quad Cab club #41 Member #3 Science and Evolution club
#12 Old 11-22-2009, 02:23 PM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsertdog56 View Post
Well based on this post, it sounds like either an axle is broke, or something internaly is wrong. That's why I wanted to confirm that you only had the noise in 4wd.

I'd remove the front drive shaft and try turning the pinion under load (wheels on ground) I'd probably have the cover off so someone can observe.
Then try it with the wheels off the ground.
Id be looking for missing/worn spider gear teeth or teeth on the ring and pinion, as well as a broken shaft. Usually gears that are properly hardened shatter, not erode away.
Although....if you took the front cover off and any of that happened, there should have been metal in your diff fluid. LOTS of metal!
yea i didnt see any metal or missing teeth. hmm sounds like a broken axle to me

About me

#13 Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
my bad lol

About me

#14 Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
crazys182003

Have you had to replace your U joints lately? I had bad U joints then needed my 4wd and the bad end result was I broke my shaft on the passenger side. The sound was similar to what you are explaining.
#15 Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
dodge_ss/t
STEVEN

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazys182003 View Post
Have you had to replace your U joints lately? I had bad U joints then needed my 4wd and the bad end result was I broke my shaft on the passenger side. The sound was similar to what you are explaining.
that may be it... i know they need it. i think its a shaft.

About me

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.