Way to disable Auto Locks? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Interior/Exterior

Closed Thread

katrich

Way to disable Auto Locks? - Posted: 11-14-2009, 02:10 PM
State: AK
Post #1

Is there a way to disable the feature that automatically locks the door after the car is started? I have a 04 Durango.

I live in Alaska and we frequently leave our cars running during the winter when it gets so cold. I have autostart but am having some trouble with it working. It clicks and the light of on the autostart lights up, but the car doesn't always start. Then sometimes when it does start the doors won't unlock (which isn't too bad because I can always unlock the door with the key).

It's getting -10 degrees and colder now and I would like to warm the car up before driving. I've already had one incident when I started the car up manually and left the passenger door crack just in case. Then a little later went to put something in on the passenger side and shut the door....and the doors locked with the key inside before I got to the driver's door. Not a good situation with a full tank of gas.

I know I probably need to replace the auto start key and get some more spare keys, but those are dealer items and cost $100+ and am short on funds now. So in the meantime, I really don't want my doors to lock automatically. I don't live in a high crime area and automatically looking doors are a safety hazard in the winter time when temps can get -50 periodically.

Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

08Durango

Posted: 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
City: Tooele UT
State: UT
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

you may want to have a dealer look at this. the doors are not suppose to autolock until you are moving at like 5-10 mph.
Firestone HD Airbag Kit

2008 Durango (HEMI)
Black Mamba CIA Member #7
Westin bullbar with lights
Toyo Open Country A/T's (275/55-R20)
Liquid Metal Wingman 20's (Charcoal)

1996 Dakota
Swapping from a v6 3.9 to 440 big block v8
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

chad1972

Posted: 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM
State: FL
Post #3

x2,
Dodge Talk Central Florida Member #10
DODGETALK.COM 287 ENTHUSIAST MEMBER #318

Sir_Eagle

Posted: 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Hemi User
City: Akron, Ohio
State: OH
Post #4

Might have been different on the 04 but my 06 looks at 15 mph.

You can get a plain key cut anywhere just to open the doors.
Ram Head Hitch Cover / 12" Black Stubbie Antenna / 20% Tinted Fronts
Resonator removed / Magnaflow 22" (12578)
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 / Monroe Reflex Shocks / TB Lift(6 turns) / Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors / Ceramic Pads

Eagle's Nest Photography & kmartin.smugmug.com
Stubby Antenna Club Member #1 / Hemi Owners Club Member #8 / Ohio Truck Club Member #9 / Mineral Grey Truck Club Member #60 / DT Durango Club Member #102

AK1

Posted: 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
What! Me Worry?
City: Stoney Creek
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrich View Post
Is there a way to disable the feature that automatically locks the door after the car is started? I have a 04 Durango.

I live in Alaska and we frequently leave our cars running during the winter when it gets so cold. I have autostart but am having some trouble with it working. It clicks and the light of on the autostart lights up, but the car doesn't always start. Then sometimes when it does start the doors won't unlock (which isn't too bad because I can always unlock the door with the key).

It's getting -10 degrees and colder now and I would like to warm the car up before driving. I've already had one incident when I started the car up manually and left the passenger door crack just in case. Then a little later went to put something in on the passenger side and shut the door....and the doors locked with the key inside before I got to the driver's door. Not a good situation with a full tank of gas.

I know I probably need to replace the auto start key and get some more spare keys, but those are dealer items and cost $100+ and am short on funds now. So in the meantime, I really don't want my doors to lock automatically. I don't live in a high crime area and automatically looking doors are a safety hazard in the winter time when temps can get -50 periodically.

Thanks.
Autostart? Is that an aftermarket remote starter? If so then it could be interfering with the autolock circuit and causing the truck to lock on startup. Perhaps an installation issue?

Could you give me a step by step version of what you did?

This is what I'm getting;

1)You unlocked the truck using the unlock button on the key(factory key?)
2) you opened the passenger door, then started the truck.
3)Closed the passenger door, but didn't shut it completely.
4)Came back a bit later(truck's running), opened the passenger door, put something inside), closed the passenger door shut, and the truck locked.

Is that right?

I've never had my doors lock just by closing them. Mine lock after the truck gets to 15mph or so.

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102

KC_Metal

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
Autostart? Is that an aftermarket remote starter? If so then it could be interfering with the autolock circuit and causing the truck to lock on startup. Perhaps an installation issue?

Could you give me a step by step version of what you did?

4)Came back a bit later(truck's running), opened the passenger door, put something inside), closed the passenger door shut, and the truck locked.

Is that right?

I've never had my doors lock just by closing them. Mine lock after the truck gets to 15mph or so.

X2! Mine locks after the vehicle starts moving.

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

dizzyD

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #7

Sounds like the autostart is an aftermarket and has a function to lock doors. Dodge never did this type of programming to lock doors at start up. My old Dakota w/ an aftermarket key fob would auto lock doors at startup, I had to disable it due to truck running and no one inside. 3 times, once w/ my sis-in-law borrowing truck and 300 miles away w/out spare key.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

KC_Metal

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
Sounds like the autostart is an aftermarket and has a function to lock doors. Dodge never did this type of programming to lock doors at start up. My old Dakota w/ an aftermarket key fob would auto lock doors at startup, I had to disable it due to truck running and no one inside. 3 times, once w/ my sis-in-law borrowing truck and 300 miles away w/out spare key.
Damn! That must have sucked.

dizzyD

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #9

they lost a 1/4 tank of gas waiting for AAA

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

KC_Metal

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyD View Post
they lost a 1/4 tank of gas waiting for AAA
Not too bad it could have been worse.

B-300

Posted: 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
State: OTHER
Post #11

Does your truck have a trip/mileage center. If so put it in instantanious readout and see whether it shows above 0.0 mpg when stopped. I mention this becauase my parrents have an S-type Jaquar that will lock the doors on ocasion when the engine is running in park and I found the speed sensor would show the car as moving when stopped while driving it about 1 out of 10 stops. (Once is enough for the PCM to trigger the door locks and look you out.)
Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300

Sir_Eagle

Posted: 11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Hemi User
City: Akron, Ohio
State: OH
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-300 View Post
Does your truck have a trip/mileage center. If so put it in instantanious readout
Didn't even know this was possible.
Ram Head Hitch Cover / 12" Black Stubbie Antenna / 20% Tinted Fronts
Resonator removed / Magnaflow 22" (12578)
265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 / Monroe Reflex Shocks / TB Lift(6 turns) / Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors / Ceramic Pads

Eagle's Nest Photography & kmartin.smugmug.com
Stubby Antenna Club Member #1 / Hemi Owners Club Member #8 / Ohio Truck Club Member #9 / Mineral Grey Truck Club Member #60 / DT Durango Club Member #102

matted2thefloor

Posted: 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
City: SC
State: SC
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-300 View Post
Does your truck have a trip/mileage center. If so put it in instantanious readout and see whether it shows above 0.0 mpg when stopped. I mention this becauase my parrents have an S-type Jaquar that will lock the doors on ocasion when the engine is running in park and I found the speed sensor would show the car as moving when stopped while driving it about 1 out of 10 stops. (Once is enough for the PCM to trigger the door locks and look you out.)

I've got the OverHead Console...but have never seen instant mpgs...

04 D 5.7 SLT AWD (hers)(gone 3/12)
99 Cobra (mine) SOLD
00 Toyota Camry
06 Toyota Avalon Limited (hers)

App Dawg

Posted: 11-17-2009, 02:46 AM
City: Herforst, Germany
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Dealers in Ak normally use aftermarket "Auto Start" systems as they offer more options that the stock version, such as turning on heated seats, etc. The one I got with my 04 could be programmed to open the doors, heated seats etc unless I paid a shop another $150 for it. The dealer had to replace a sensor and ended up my auto start to not properly work (alarm sounds when doors are locked and I use the autostart). I would take it to an aftermarket shop; may just be a wiring issue
Putco Chrome Door Handles
Street Scene "Black Chrome" Grill
Painted Grill Surround
Resonator Chop
Hemi Badges
AEM "Brute Force" CAI

Wish List:
Black Wheels
Better Gas mileage

katrich

Posted: 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
State: AK
Post #15

Is that right?
Yes, the above is what happened and it is an aftermarket autostart. It locks without the car moving. It locks before my kids even get into the car if I have already started the car.

Is there a way to disable the autolock? Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been gone for a month and came back to a dead battery and a hood that won't open when pulling the the hood cable latch. But I'll ask for help in another thread.

Kathy

AK1

Posted: 01-05-2010, 11:14 PM
What! Me Worry?
City: Stoney Creek
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

You'll probably have to take it to the installer, they may be able to disable the auto lock feature.

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102

KC_Metal

Posted: 01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrich View Post

Is that right?
Yes, the above is what happened and it is an aftermarket autostart. It locks without the car moving. It locks before my kids even get into the car if I have already started the car.

Is there a way to disable the autolock? Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been gone for a month and came back to a dead battery and a hood that won't open when pulling the the hood cable latch. But I'll ask for help in another thread.

Kathy
Sucks your having some bad luck...WTF!

Closed Thread