2003 Dodge Caravan - No Heat at Idle - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
kklblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 Dodge Caravan - No Heat at Idle

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3. I do not get heat when I am warming up the car. It appears that I only get heat when the temperature gage is half way between C and H. When I drive its heats fine, but as soon as I park or idle it blows cold again.

A clue might be the air circulation button on the dash is suppose to light up when pressed in, mine blinks for a couple of seconds and turns off, it never goes on.

I have been told its 10 different things, as a divorced mom can someone help me narrow it down.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Wrenchgear

This is a guess / maybe something to look at...

The blend door in the heater box (behind the glove box) is vacuum operated.
- a vacuum line maybe partially off the vacuum motor not being able to operate it properly
- a vacuum line may have a hole in it (same as above)
- diaphram in vacuum motor is torn
- slide control that you adjust for warm/cold temp. leaking vacuum
- problem at vacuum line at engine area

Vacuum changes with engine speed. There maybe a vacuum canister on that van somwhere (I'm not sure where) and it may have a hole in it as well. You would lose the built up supply of vacuum (in the canister) when you're at a stop (idle) and the blend door moves letting more cold air in. When you take off from the stop, vacuum is built up again and the blend door moves and cuts off the cold air coming into the heater box resulting in more heat being blown through the vents.

Wrench

2001 GC Sport
1996 Intrepid

Last edited by Wrenchgear; 10-28-2009 at 02:50 PM.
#3 Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
I imagine that is something I can try and take a peek at myself?
#4 Old 10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
hotrod_06010

Does the temp guage drop when you stop?
#5 Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
You know I have never noticed. But I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
#6 Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
hotrod_06010

if the temp guage drops when you stop, could be a sign that the thermostat is stuck open. This won't let the water sit in the motor to warm up. Gives you same problems you have, no heat at idle but heat as you drive.
#7 Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 AM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses, I have it at the dealership as we speak, will find out soon.
#8 Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Chiv

Wink

you came to the right place to ask for help. While I am so new here I can not even post pictures yet, I can a sure you someone will look at this, and maybe then you will get a response. At least this is brought back to everbodies attention now.

-Chiv
#9 Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
grey day

kklblue, please report dealer findings. I have 2005 with exact same issue!
#10 Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
I just got my car back from the dealership and I am not sure I believe what they are saying, but it appears to be fixed.

Apparently my radiator has been leaking. I didn't notice because it ran down some shroud. That diagnosis doesn't make sense to me. They replaced the radiator and did some pressure testing and I do have heat now. But wouldn't I notice water or antifreeze on the ground.

Other finds was - replace power steering pump-rack n pinion. Not sure how to spell that.

Replace valve cover gaskets as they were leaking.

My check engine light was on because I had a small crack in a 4 inch pollution control hose. They replaced that.

They also realigned the car because of the rack n pinion (sp).

I did notice that my air circulation button on my dash still blinks and doesn't stay on . I am going to call them back on that.

I hope this helps. The tech said that knowing I only have 400 miles on my extended warranty they tried to get everything they could covered under this service call so I do believe they did.

Thanks

Kris
#11 Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM
grey day

I would never have thought my rad was leaking but maybe I'll have a closer look, guess it will be low on coolant if thats the case. As for the blinking light mine is also the same, think it only remains on when AC is running.
#12 Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
I haven't tried pressing that button when the AC is on. I will try that.
#13 Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM
kklblue

(Thread Starter)
I just was playing with the air circulation button and figured out that if you have the right knob where the heat is directed turned all the way to the left so it comes out the vents in the dash then the air circulation light stays on.

If you turn that knob all the way back over to the right to the defrost position the light blinks and goes off.

So mine is working fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.