04 Durango - Vibration under acceleration - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

dcwdurango

04 Durango - Vibration under acceleration - Posted: 10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
State: ON
Post #1

I just purchased my 04 limited a couple of weeks ago & it has a wicked vibration only when travelling between 100-130km/h (60-80mp/h) under acceleration/load. As soon as i take my foot off the gas the vibration goes away.

The vibration is not in the steering wheel so this leads me to believe its coming from somewhere in the driveline - possibly a u-joint or tranny/motor mount. I had the truck into the local midas shop & they could not find anything.......

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

KC_Metal

Posted: 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Mopar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
City: Green Bay
State: WI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwdurango View Post
I just purchased my 04 limited a couple of weeks ago & it has a wicked vibration only when travelling between 100-130km/h (60-80mp/h) under acceleration/load. As soon as i take my foot off the gas the vibration goes away.

The vibration is not in the steering wheel so this leads me to believe its coming from somewhere in the driveline - possibly a u-joint or tranny/motor mount. I had the truck into the local midas shop & they could not find anything.......

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
It could be that the tires are out of balance. Mine did the same thing and with these big rims and tires if they get out of blance they will vibrate like crazy. I would check that first as it's the easiest. Also make sure all the lugs are tight maybe you have a rim coming loose or something. Deeper it could be coming from the axle, transmission or transfer case? If it only has the vibration when you acclerate then maybe it is joint related. Did you check to see if there is any slop in the u-joints.

Good Luck!

2006 Chrysler 300 HEMI C 5.7L V8: (Summer Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15%.

2010 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8: (Wife's Truck)
- Windows Tinted 15%, 8 Bar 20's from California

2008 Chrysler 300 AWD Touring 3.5L V6: (Winter Car)
- Hurst Comp stick kit & badge, Windows Tinted 15% (soon)

Fu*k Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Lexus and all that other Jap crap!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

rangoneer

Posted: 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #3

If you drove through mud and left it park overnight, the mud or even ice/snow will cause it to be out of balance.

Driveshaft is another possibility. If they have done differential work on it they may not have aligned the driveshaft up correctly with the differential key.

Being you can't feel it in the steering wheel then I'd check the rear wheels first. go underneath the D and look at the rear rims and see if there is anything accumulated on there. Also it would be worth to put a wrench on your lugs and make sure they are tight.

Then check if they've done any work to it. Or if you got it from a certified dealer, PM me your VIN and I'll tell you if they've done Axle work.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!

AK1

Posted: 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
What! Me Worry?
City: Stoney Creek
State: ON
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Check tire balance first, then work from there.

"Yeah, it's got a HEMI"

SPEED HAS NEVER KILLED ANYONE, SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY, THAT'S WHAT GETS YOU!

Black Truck Club member #153 | DT Durango Club member #72|Hemi Club member #102

mopar nut

Posted: 10-17-2009, 07:16 PM
City: Calgary
State: AB
Post #5

I had a similar problem with mine and it was that the ujoints were shot, all changed all good now.

matted2thefloor

Posted: 10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
City: SC
State: SC
Post #6

I would agree on the u-joints/driveshaft causing the vibration.

04 D 5.7 SLT AWD (hers)(gone 3/12)
99 Cobra (mine) SOLD
00 Toyota Camry
06 Toyota Avalon Limited (hers)

Gold5th

Posted: 10-18-2009, 12:12 AM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted2thefloor View Post
I would agree on the u-joints/driveshaft causing the vibration.
But start with checking the tires/cleaning the back sides of the wheels.. cheapest and easiest fix.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4300K HID in retro-fitted projectors, 3200K HID in fogs

matted2thefloor

Posted: 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
City: SC
State: SC
Post #8

It is not likely a wheel/tire imbalance issue. If it was, the vibration would still be there regardless of throttle input.

04 D 5.7 SLT AWD (hers)(gone 3/12)
99 Cobra (mine) SOLD
00 Toyota Camry
06 Toyota Avalon Limited (hers)

rangoneer

Posted: 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Power Aficionado
State: IA
View This User's Timeslip
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted2thefloor View Post
It is not likely a wheel/tire imbalance issue. If it was, the vibration would still be there regardless of throttle input.
not neccessarily. Depending on where the imbalance is the centrifugal force is noticeable at certain rpm/speed/throttle input. Hence the vibration at a certain Speed. If the imbalance is off more toward the center then you would have to travel at a faster speed than if it was on the outside of the rim.

It is easy to test Ujoint vs balance. Get to the speed that produces the vibration the worst and turn on your cruise control. Then push your tow/haul button and when the rpms increase notice if the vibration changes. If it does then it is a ujoint or driveshaft issue. If it doesn't change then I say tire/wheel balance issue.

I NEED MORE POWER!! ...and to lose some weight!

KC_Metal

Posted: 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangoneer View Post
not neccessarily. Depending on where the imbalance is the centrifugal force is noticeable at certain rpm/speed/throttle input. Hence the vibration at a certain Speed. If the imbalance is off more toward the center then you would have to travel at a faster speed than if it was on the outside of the rim.

It is easy to test Ujoint vs balance. Get to the speed that produces the vibration the worst and turn on your cruise control. Then push your tow/haul button and when the rpms increase notice if the vibration changes. If it does then it is a ujoint or driveshaft issue. If it doesn't change then I say tire/wheel balance issue.
Interesting and good to know.

sims76

Posted: 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
City: Mohnton, PA
State: OTHER
Post #11

I just bought a used 2004 Limited 5.7L. I am having the same problem. I took my pry bar out there and poked around and found that there is a bolt that holds the top of the front diff to a mount. Mine is missing allowing the front diff to wiggle.

Probably not your problem, but get under there with a pry bar and check things out.

Good luck,

Sims

Last edited by sims76 : 10-20-2009 at 10:02 PM.

KC_Metal

Posted: 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims76 View Post
I just bought a used 2004 Limited 5.7L. I am having the same problem. I took my pry bar out there and poked around and found that there is a bolt that holds the top of the front diff to a mount. Mine is missing allowing the front diff to wiggle.

Probably not your problem, but get under there with a pry bar and check things out.

Good luck,

Sims
Good job finding the issue.

Closed Thread