Replacing PCM on 06 4.7 Ram - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Truck Engine Technical Forums > 3.7L, 4.7L, 8.3L Tech

Closed Thread

RussNash

Unhappy Replacing PCM on 06 4.7 Ram - Posted: 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
State: MD
Post #1

I have a rebuilt PCM coming for my 2006 Dodge Ram 4.7 as the old one has a faulty injector driver circuit and have a few questions, I'd be grateful for any advice that can be offered.

1) From what I can see, the new PCM will need to be programmed with the vehicles VIN and current mileage, is this correct?

2) Would the ECU also need flashing with software?

3) Am I stuck with going to the dealer for the above and being subject to them rubbing their hands together in glee with $ signs in their eyes or is there an alternative?

I bought the rebuilt ECU from AutoSource Modules, normally they would perform VIN and mileage programming but stated in this case it had to be performed while the PCM was in the vehicle. The $375 I spent on the replacement PCM was a wallet buster for me and I'm dreading having to now find the extra money to get the unit programmed.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Russ.
Advertisement

JasonW

Posted: 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
User
City: Brownstown
State: MI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Wow, any chance you can return it and get your money back? You way over-paid for it IMO. I checked car-part.com and found one as low as $50. There are several for a 2006 4.7 Auto Trans non-flex fuel from $50-$200.
Appearance: N-Fab Nerf-Steps (Line-X'd) | Leveled (TBs Cranked) | 2" Blocks | KMC XD Addict 17x9 w/BFG AT 315/70-17 | Unique Coatings Tails | Black Magic Behind the Grille | BedRug | Century Royal Cap | SRT-10 A-pillar w/Aeroforce Interceptor | PML Diff Cover | Fenderwell Liners
Awaiting Install: FM 206 Cams, FLX-180 Fan

2000 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
FM TB | Superchips | FLX-180 Fan | T/S Lift | PML Trans Pan
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RussNash

Posted: 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Only problem I can see with those is that they are straight from salvage, in which case they won't work without undergoing a rebuild. Once the VIN and miles are inserted into an ECU for the 06, it's useless in another Ram without being rebuilt.

I shopped around a lot when looking for mine and this was the best price I found, the worst was over $600! Still better than going to the dealer for an OEM which is in the thousands

JasonW

Posted: 10-13-2009, 11:08 AM
User
City: Brownstown
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

Wait, why would those not work for your truck if they are flashed with the correct VIN and miles? Are you sure this wouldn't work?

Anyway, as for your original question, sorry, I'm not sure, but you will definitely need the dealer or someone with the correct scanner (DRB-III I believe) to flash it for you.
Appearance: N-Fab Nerf-Steps (Line-X'd) | Leveled (TBs Cranked) | 2" Blocks | KMC XD Addict 17x9 w/BFG AT 315/70-17 | Unique Coatings Tails | Black Magic Behind the Grille | BedRug | Century Royal Cap | SRT-10 A-pillar w/Aeroforce Interceptor | PML Diff Cover | Fenderwell Liners
Awaiting Install: FM 206 Cams, FLX-180 Fan

2000 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
FM TB | Superchips | FLX-180 Fan | T/S Lift | PML Trans Pan
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RussNash

Posted: 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Post #5

The Dodge Ram PCM's from 06 onward are 'flash once and thats it', according to the service manual. Once they've been paired with a particular truck they cannot be re-flashed with the VIN of another truck, you either have to get a new one from Dodge (ouch!) or a rebuilt one.

hemimech

Posted: 10-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Post #6

I'm not sure what service manual you are reading. The replacement PCM as long as it's the correct type for the truck can be flashed to work with your truck. Installing a replacement one is more involved than just updating software. Yes it can & will have to be done at a dealer with a Starscan diagnostic tool. they will need the Personal Identification Number to access the vehicles security. This # is on the new truck invoice or they can get the # from Chrysler's keycode database. At that point they will enter in the VIN & the mileage which will be confirmed by the instrument cluster. The dealer will also have to download the latest engine/transmission flash file for your truck to load into the replacement module. The new module will then need to learn the ETC (electronic throttle body) positions and the transmission will need to be run thru a quick learn process. Finally they will place an "Authorized modification" label on the module as it will always keep the original vehicles VIN# recorded in the background for legal reasons.

RussNash

Posted: 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemimech View Post
I'm not sure what service manual you are reading. The replacement PCM as long as it's the correct type for the truck can be flashed to work with your truck. Installing a replacement one is more involved than just updating software. Yes it can & will have to be done at a dealer with a Starscan diagnostic tool. they will need the Personal Identification Number to access the vehicles security. This # is on the new truck invoice or they can get the # from Chrysler's keycode database. At that point they will enter in the VIN & the mileage which will be confirmed by the instrument cluster. The dealer will also have to download the latest engine/transmission flash file for your truck to load into the replacement module. The new module will then need to learn the ETC (electronic throttle body) positions and the transmission will need to be run thru a quick learn process. Finally they will place an "Authorized modification" label on the module as it will always keep the original vehicles VIN# recorded in the background for legal reasons.
Well, I'm really kicking myself now. I've been back through the service manual for my 2006 and can't find where I got that information from, if I really could have just bought a used one and gotten it re-programmed then I just wasted a lot of money that I could ill afford to spend in the first place. Now, I will need to add the cost of having the dealer install and program it. My wife and I are having enough trouble making ends meet as it is. I suppose the plus side is that I have a lifetime warranty with the new ECU.

Thanks for the information, hemimech, I just wish I'd known this sooner

Russ.