fuel pressure specs. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

KEVIN4790

Question fuel pressure specs. - Posted: 10-01-2009, 08:02 PM
State: OK
Post #1

Does Anyone Know What The Fuel Pressure Specs. Are For A 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 (318)? Or Why Do I Need To Wait For The Fuel Pump For A Second For It To Start? (with Only A Few Cranks),other Wise It Cranks Over Too Much Before It Fires.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

canadian_mudder

Posted: 10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
City: Alberta
State: AB
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

At idle the fuel pressure should be 49 psi 5 psi
Pacesetter Long tube headers with dual exhaust
AFE Stage 2 Cold air intake
Superchips 3715 programmer
And one sweet rockerguarded gas cap

Trucks and Guns Club member #137
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RamThis

Posted: 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
City: N. Richland Hills, Tx
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Probably a bad regulator on top of the fuel sending unit, leaking off all the pressure after shutoff. Very common problem causing long cranking times to allow the pump to build pressure back again.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Auburn LSD, Edelbrock headers, 2.5" true duals with crossover, MSD Superconductors, APS Plenum Kit, Level10 Trans kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 2-4 BellTech Drop, SS/T rims, Toyo Proxes ST 285-60-17's, Sir Michaels Roll Pan and tailgate handle relocator, Keystone bumper cover with light openings, PIAA fogs, painted grille shell, painted Street Scene Speed Grille Inserts, SCT XCAL-2, Alpine head unit, Infinity Components front, Infinity Coaxials back, Infinity 500W 4 channel amp, Infinity Basslink, new dash, steering wheel, and guage bezel. Building new engine for it now. Truck is slowly being blacked out....

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Detroit Locker, Race Truck Trends Nascar Bumper, Painted SS/T Stripes, Alpine HU, Alpine Sound Field Processor, Clarion Amp, MTX Thunderform. On the stand as of Spring 2013, 5.9L bored .030 over, Sealed Power coated pistons, balanced and polished crank, Comp 210 Cam, MP Timing Chain tensioner, Melling HV oil pump, 1.92 oversized valves and mild porting, MP Triple Nickel Chrome headers. Trans being assembled as of 3-1-13 with Level10 performance kit, Trans-Go, deleted check ball, and Long LPD 28,000 GVW tranny cooler.

Ram15002ndgen

Posted: 10-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Don't Fear the Reaper
State: CA
Post #4

The fuel pump should activate as soon as you turn the key. Before turning it over, give it a second or two for it to build pressure or you will wear out your starter motor. If that doesn't help, then maybe there is something else going on.

www.beatcraigslist.com

RamThis

Posted: 10-05-2009, 01:02 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram15002ndgen View Post
The fuel pump should activate as soon as you turn the key. Before turning it over, give it a second or two for it to build pressure or you will wear out your starter motor. If that doesn't help, then maybe there is something else going on.
That's what I was talking about. If the regulator is bad, it wont hold pressure, after shutoff, or after its initial pressure up before you start to crank. A pressure guage will confirm this real quick though.

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Single Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Auburn LSD, Edelbrock headers, 2.5" true duals with crossover, MSD Superconductors, APS Plenum Kit, Level10 Trans kit, Trans-Go shift kit, 2-4 BellTech Drop, SS/T rims, Toyo Proxes ST 285-60-17's, Sir Michaels Roll Pan and tailgate handle relocator, Keystone bumper cover with light openings, PIAA fogs, painted grille shell, painted Street Scene Speed Grille Inserts, SCT XCAL-2, Alpine head unit, Infinity Components front, Infinity Coaxials back, Infinity 500W 4 channel amp, Infinity Basslink, new dash, steering wheel, and guage bezel. Building new engine for it now. Truck is slowly being blacked out....

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab, 5.9 Auto, 4.10's, Detroit Locker, Race Truck Trends Nascar Bumper, Painted SS/T Stripes, Alpine HU, Alpine Sound Field Processor, Clarion Amp, MTX Thunderform. On the stand as of Spring 2013, 5.9L bored .030 over, Sealed Power coated pistons, balanced and polished crank, Comp 210 Cam, MP Timing Chain tensioner, Melling HV oil pump, 1.92 oversized valves and mild porting, MP Triple Nickel Chrome headers. Trans being assembled as of 3-1-13 with Level10 performance kit, Trans-Go, deleted check ball, and Long LPD 28,000 GVW tranny cooler.

Ram15002ndgen

Posted: 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't Fear the Reaper
Post #6

Yep, and the problem is that no matter what is wrong, all these components are together and troublesome to replace. I think it was a stupid design to put all the fuel components in the fuel tank which is not very accessible. The good thing is he has a 98, which I think has a fuel pressure port on the fuel rails. My 97 has none, so I have no idea how mine would be tested for fuel pressure if I had a similar problem.

www.beatcraigslist.com

canadian_mudder

Posted: 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
City: Alberta
State: AB
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Yep, and the problem is that no matter what is wrong, all these components are together and troublesome to replace. I think it was a stupid design to put all the fuel components in the fuel tank which is not very accessible. The good thing is he has a 98, which I think has a fuel pressure port on the fuel rails. My 97 has none, so I have no idea how mine would be tested for fuel pressure if I had a similar problem.
Ya it should have a test port on the fuel rail. The reason fuel pumps are in the tank now is they "say" its more efficient to push then pull. Sucks when things go wrong and you have to drop the tank, but luckily its not a common problem.
Pacesetter Long tube headers with dual exhaust
AFE Stage 2 Cold air intake
Superchips 3715 programmer
And one sweet rockerguarded gas cap

Trucks and Guns Club member #137

RamThis

Posted: 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Simple there's a fitting that goes in between the quick connect of the fuel line and fuel rail, with a "T" in it for a fuel guage! I have a couple of them in different forms. I bought one off the Matco truck, a custom setup, a few years ago. Then about six months after I bought that whole setup, a neighbor of mine that worked for Wynn's gave me a 3,000 dollar fuel injection cleaning kit with guage and pressure vessel and connectors for every vehicle made. So now I can connect to ANY vehicle's fuel system and see what pressure the system runs at, AND I can pressurize injector cleaner through the sytem as well just like the dealership! (and this is probably partly why my neighbor became suddenly unemployed, giving away expensive free shit all the time LOL.)

Ram15002ndgen

Posted: 10-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Don't Fear the Reaper
Post #9

Damn, that is sweet having such an expensive setup. Thanks for telling me, now I know in case I ever have to read it. Hopefully a local parts shop or the dealer can supply one if I ever need it. BTW do you leave the "T" fitting in all the time, or only when in use?

www.beatcraigslist.com

RamThis

Posted: 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Only when in use. Unless you have a guage hooked up to the T part it's just an opening in the line lol. Im sure Napa or the like would have something. I just liked getting it off the Matco truck because I can do weekly payments and get top end tools. Though it's only 1 of 2 things I've ever bought off matco the rest of my stuff is all Snap-On.

Closed Thread