Need timing help on a 2002 2.7 intrepid - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
gofy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Need timing help on a 2002 2.7 intrepid

I am confused.
I am trying to follow the instructions from an on line manual referenced on this forum and don't understand some things.

(with the timing chain removed)

both camshaft sproket timing marks are 90 deg of cylinder head cover sealing surface;

the timing mark on the right camshaft is aligned with the timing mark on the intake sproket and there are the required 12 pins betwen timing marks on intake and exhaust sprokets.

on the left side(drivers side) the intake timing mark is off by about 45 deg but there are 12 pins betwen the timing marks on the intake and exhaust sprokets.

How do I set the timing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
rmitch47

I have the same engine with same problem and I know someone knows how to see if this is right! So I uploaded some pics to help someone see what we are dealing with! the first one is the driver side, I had to pull the cam counter clockwise to get the cam sprocket to line up with bolts like the manual said!
The other pic is the passenger side and didnt have to turn clockwise or counter clockwise to line the bolt holes up, they just lined right up !
If you notice, the pass. cam mark is still at 90 degrees, but the driver-side is off the 90 degree mark! Can someone please examine their 2.7 with with the color tooth chains the same way and tell us if theirs is off like this? Thank you I really need some help!

Last edited by rmitch47; 11-13-2009 at 11:49 PM.
#3 Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM
gofy

(Thread Starter)
help with 2.7 timing

I don't have pictures but I have successfuly installed the timing chain and driven over 500 miles since.

My water pump failed, bering went and coolant mixed with oil. I did not have any valve or rod damage
Note: to reset the timing the two bolts need to be removed from the cam sprocket on both driver and passanger side banks.

With the timing chain removed, I positioned the cams indepently by inserting a 3/8 socket extension.

the passinger side was according to the manual. Looking through the alignment hole I could see the brass link on the cam chain. notches on both rod ends were 90 degree to valve cover mating surface.

Your passinger side picture appears to show that the notch on the cam shaft pully is slightly off.
I did not have to do anything to the camshaft chains or the relationship between the sprockets attached to them.

driver side:. if you remove the timing chain and rotate the sproket so that the alignment hole is at 90 degree. remove the two bolts securing the cam sproket expect the sprocket to snap to the right. THe brass links on the cam chain, the far right one was at about 2 o'clock on the rod end .
#4 Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 PM
rmitch47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofy View Post
Your passinger side picture appears to show that the notch on the cam shaft pully is slightly off.
Hmm This is what is throwing me: If I unbolt the cam gear again I can only turn the cam 180 degrees, therefore the notch would be facing down! If i go 360 degrees, I will be back to where I started from! This is what is messing me up, logic tells me this is the way it goes, but when I had it like that before it was opening the exhaust valve when the piston is coming up to TDC! This is causing me to have no compression!

Quote:
driver side:. if you remove the timing chain and rotate the sproket so that the alignment hole is at 90 degree. remove the two bolts securing the cam sproket expect the sprocket to snap to the right. THe brass links on the cam chain, the far right one was at about 2 o'clock on the rod end .
Here again the notch can only be at where it is or facing down!

Tell me if im wrong, but if all my color chain links are on there mark example: the mark on the oil pump and crank shaft,
The mark on the right cam- The mark on the left cam- gear,

I hope this help ppl understand what im looking at! I cant turn the timing chain because the chain only goes one way! But the cams just dont look right if you can see what i mean! the cams can only be bolted on with cam mark up or down! That why I need to know if im missing something here, because i cant see any other way! Thanks, please help if you know of a different way I can do this!
#5 Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
gofy

(Thread Starter)
2.7 timing

rmitch47

The position of the timing marks will differ with the cam pullies unbolted.

the manual was confusing to me also.

with both pullies unbolted, positioning the marks on the driverside pully and the crank shaft pully has that pully at 90 degree.

continuing to complete the timing chain installation correctly you will find that the passinger side pully timing mark will be at 90 degree.

When you attach the bolts to the camshaft pullies the position of the notches will change.

It is important to maintain the tension on the chain throughout the proceedure including activating the primary tensioner.

I experienced problems and had to reset my chain 3 times.

once the primary tensioner was not reset properly and allowed the chain to jump a link or two. car ran fine for 5 or 6 minutes then maid noise.

another time jumped a link and ran fine at idle, when increased rpm got cam sensor code error which indicated that the timing was off ( car would run but not get enough compression )

Also if the coolin system was drained, be sure to follow the manual for fillin the system.

THere is an air relief valve that MUST be used. If air is not purged in the filling process you run the risk of losing your water pump.
#6 Old 11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
rmitch47

Quote:
rmitch47

The position of the timing marks will differ with the cam pullies unbolted.

the manual was confusing to me also.

with both pullies unbolted, positioning the marks on the driverside pully and the crank shaft pully has that pully at 90 degree.

continuing to complete the timing chain installation correctly you will find that the passinger side pully timing mark will be at 90 degree.

When you attach the bolts to the camshaft pullies the position of the notches will change.

It is important to maintain the tension on the chain throughout the proceedure including activating the primary tensioner.

I experienced problems and had to reset my chain 3 times.

once the primary tensioner was not reset properly and allowed the chain to jump a link or two. car ran fine for 5 or 6 minutes then maid noise.

another time jumped a link and ran fine at idle, when increased rpm got cam sensor code error which indicated that the timing was off ( car would run but not get enough compression )

Also if the coolin system was drained, be sure to follow the manual for fillin the system.

THere is an air relief valve that MUST be used. If air is not purged in the filling process you run the risk of losing your water pump.
Yeah man glad you posted this info because when I put it all together the first time it wouldnt even start(no compression)! I could not figure it out! Now when I took it all apart it looked like it was off 180 degrees!
I believe now with the help of your reply that I messed up on the tensioner! I didnt reset it until I had the timing chain, gears and guide all installed! It must of had enough slack to jump several teeth! Now Im worried that I may have bent some valves! That stupid Haynes book said to wait till last to reset the tensioner! Well wish me luck man, i hope and pray I didnt bend valves!
Also glad you said something about the relief valve to, I was messed up on that to!
BTW did you get your up and running now? I hope so, and thanks again for your info man!
#7 Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 PM
gofy

(Thread Starter)
Smile 2.7 timing

rmitch47

There is a dealer shop repair manual available on the forum.

I found it very helpful. It is in PDF format and can be downloaded to your computer.

Do a search.... if you can't find it get back to me.

Gofy
#8 Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 PM
rmitch47

OK man, I will check it out! But I got some bad news on my end! Looks like all my intake valves are bent! So now I have to start all over!

P.S. I cant seem to find dealer shop repair manual for my car! Can you help? Thanks man

Last edited by rmitch47; 11-15-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.